• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vsf 2018 seamaster diver 300m

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
My question is, don't you guys think that if someone really wanted to, the BIGGEST TELL of all is the second hand moving at 28,800 instead of the unusual 25,200 of the gen?
I'm no extreme watch expert, but I can easily tell the difference just by having some 28,800 ETA gen movements, and not putting them side by side.
Cheers

Short answer, no.

Long answer. No, because honestly who has that time? Why would you be taking your watch off and comparing vs other movements? I just can't think of a real world scenario this would apply to. No. Plus if you're looking at that level of scrutiny there are far easier tells than that...

Just enjoy your watch, it's a great watch and NWBIG imo. Unless you're a real fan boy and love it so much that you want the gen (which is a completely understandable position btw) and wish to enjoy all the genuine benefits including. Accuracy, magnetism resistance, water resistance. Not having random fears of comparing movement timings :p

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
Hi guys

haven't been active here in a while, just wanted to catch up with the new found flaws of this amazing rep.
I actually bought a VSF V2 about one year ago and could not be happier; at the time the issue was the V1 bracelet on V2 head, then corrected; at that point the rep seemed flawless, however after a while the "yellowish lume" came in and so on.
To this day, noone ever doubted this was a fake, I even confidently gave it in the hands of my colleague (gen rollie collector) who inspected it back and forth and complimented me, saying that this craftmanship would probably leda him to pull the trigger on an Omega for his next buy (lol).

My question is, don't you guys think that if someone really wanted to, the BIGGEST TELL of all is the second hand moving at 28,800 instead of the unusual 25,200 of the gen?
I'm no extreme watch expert, but I can easily tell the difference just by having some 28,800 ETA gen movements, and not putting them side by side.
Cheers

You can tell the difference from having only 28800 bph movements? I doubt that you will see if the watch beats with 7 bps or 8 bps with ur eyes. It might be possible if you know what to look out for and if you focus on it.
It's hard but possible to tell a 21600 from a 28800 movement.
-The tell which exist since day one is the short CG.
-The bracelet version has a tell on the endlinks.
-Now in the last batches the lume at the markers is perfectly white but the lume at the hands is yellow in some situations depending on the light.
-The numbers in the bezel are a just a little little bit bolder... But it's nearly not visible.

Reactions: Therion666

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
-Now in the last batches the lume at the markers is perfectly white but the lume at the hands is yellow in some situations depending on the light.

Are you sure about that? The last QCs I’ve seen (3 weeks ago) still had yellow lumed hour markers

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Hi guys.......

Cheers

No, I don't think so..
1st of all, this watch is close enough that unless you are really into reps you wouldn't know it was a rep, period. Even if you were into watches in the 5k range and maybe you even had 2 or 3 Gen watches in that range, but not Seamaster. Do you really believe that type of person is going to know what the specific differences are between the Gen and a rep of a watch they don't even own? I don't think so.... How about the typical buyer of a Gen Seamaster? Once again, I don't believe most watch buyers of 5k watches are even aware that there are decent reps of the watch they just bought, and even if they were aware, they have absolutely no reason to or interest in spending the time that is necessary to know what the tells are.

That leaves watch geeks like us that spend countless hours researching and looking at pictures that are magnified 20x to see and learn of some tiny tell. To someone like like me that knows pretty much all the tells on this watch the bph is probably about the 4th or 5th thing I would look for. The #1 thing without a doubt for me is the movement. I would take the watch, turn it over and within about 1 second I would know with 100% certainty if it was gen or a rep.

On someone else's wrist, the tells of this watch are difficult to see and that certainly includes 7 bps (beats per second) vs 8 bps.

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
No, I don't think so..
1st of all, this watch is close enough that unless you are really into reps you wouldn't know it was a rep, period. Even if you were into watches in the 5k range and maybe you even had 2 or 3 Gen watches in that range, but not Seamaster. Do you really believe that type of person is going to know what the specific differences are between the Gen and a rep of a watch they don't even own? I don't think so.... How about the typical buyer of a Gen Seamaster? Once again, I don't believe most watch buyers of 5k watches are even aware that there are decent reps of the watch they just bought, and even if they were aware, they have absolutely no reason to or interest in spending the time that is necessary to know what the tells are.

That leaves watch geeks like us that spend countless hours researching and looking at pictures that are magnified 20x to see and learn of some tiny tell. To someone like like me that knows pretty much all the tells on this watch the bph is probably about the 4th or 5th thing I would look for. The #1 thing without a doubt for me is the movement. I would take the watch, turn it over and within about 1 second I would know with 100% certainty if it was gen or a rep.

On someone else's wrist, the tells of this watch are difficult to see and that certainly includes 7 bps (beats per second) vs 8 bps.

100% agreed

Daytonamania

Known Member
4/3/20
On your pic it looks like no relume is needed.

You can already tell the hands and the lume markers are a different color. Also the lighting in the photo probably made it look white. It’s actually pretty yellowish, kinda like mayonnaise.

eberhard4

Known Member
1/2/19
You can tell the difference from having only 28800 bph movements? I doubt that you will see if the watch beats with 7 bps or 8 bps with ur eyes. It might be possible if you know what to look out for and if you focus on it.
It's hard but possible to tell a 21600 from a 28800 movement.
-The tell which exist since day one is the short CG.
-The bracelet version has a tell on the endlinks.
-The numbers in the bezel are a just a little little bit bolder... But it's nearly not visible.
I appreciate the feedback guys, maybe it's just me focusing too much on the hand speed.

I thought about buying a gen one (used maybe) many times, but then I think I would regret spending that kind of money when I have on my wrist a pretty good rep..
Anyway, I missed the crown guard tell, are the rep ones not as "crown protecting" as the gen ones?
When Ineed to catch up about a hundred pages of this thread

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
I appreciate the feedback guys, maybe it's just me focusing too much on the hand speed.

I thought about buying a gen one (used maybe) many times, but then I think I would regret spending that kind of money when I have on my wrist a pretty good rep..
Anyway, I missed the crown guard tell, are the rep ones not as "crown protecting" as the gen ones?
When Ineed to catch up about a hundred pages of this thread

The CG on the gen cover a little over half of the crown and the rep covers around 1/3.

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
Time_Wizard thanks for sharing the pics, though this is the sedna variant, which has had white lumed markers forever. I assume no changes to blue, black and silver variant then

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
Time_Wizard thanks for sharing the pics, though this is the sedna variant, which has had white lumed markers forever. I assume no changes to blue, black and silver variant then

No the Sedna version as well had the yellow lume markers for some time. The last weeks all QC I saw had clear white markers. Of course depending the light source the markers can appear slightly yellow sometime but the gen also sometimes does.
If I were you I would get the watch since I know you have problems for a long time deciding to pull the trigger or not. The markers are fine right now only the hands are not clear white under midday sunlight. If you are not happy with the hands a relume for 40 Euros does the Job. If you dont know someone who does it for that money you can write me a PM for his contact.

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
didn’t know about the sedna having this issue. no problem pulling the trigger though, habe had 2x the black variant (both yellowish lumed markers), the SMPct 43,5 v1 (which was absolutely perfect!) and the sedna (which I didn’t like the combination in the metal, the build was perfect though). currently waiting for them to fix the lume on the blue variant

Reactions: Time_Wizard

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
didn’t know about the sedna having this issue. no problem pulling the trigger though, habe had 2x the black variant (both yellowish lumed markers), the SMPct 43,5 v1 (which was absolutely perfect!) and the sedna (which I didn’t like the combination in the metal, the build was perfect though). currently waiting for them to fix the lume on the blue variant

I also wait, that they fix the issue to get the black white one and the 43.5 with centered printing on the dial.
Sorry I thought you all the time are waiting to pull the trigger.

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
I also wait, that they fix the issue to get the black white one and the 43.5 with centered printing on the dial.
Sorry I thought you all the time are waiting to pull the trigger.

nope, just once in a while checking in and reevaluating the status more or less

Reactions: Time_Wizard