• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vsf 2018 seamaster diver 300m

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
And my blue dial. I think everything looks good but want to double check the bracelet. Looks vsf to me. do you agree?

EAUao.jpg

EAmAW.jpg

EAaFP.jpg

EAWlJ.jpg

EAOzL.jpg

EAo6S.jpg

EAqvQ.jpg

EAyk8.jpg

EAYOR.jpg

EA1VK.jpg

Reactions: tristero

Westclan

Horology Curious
22/5/20
The clasp on the black dial should NOT have 007 on it that is the wrong strap/clasp so personally I would red light that.
The black dial one should look like the blue dial one. I have bought a black dial VSF v2 from Trusty Time and the clasp just says Omega.....
I own the gen of the black dial version of this watch and the strap is amazing - you just cannot tell the two apart at all!
The watch itself is also an excellent rep. But the strap is indistinguishable from the gen in my opinion (assuming no 007 on it!).

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
What's wrong with the bracelet in your opinion?

It looks good to me. I was just bouncing between so many pics last night and the center links were starting to look smaller and since the black had different writing and omf clasp it was starting to look "OMF ish" I was scrutinizing every minute detail. I already emailed trusty about the clasp on the black only and just kind of worded it as "clasp/bracelet" so they can figure it out.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
What's wrong with the bracelet in your opinion?

Have a look at the post directly before you ask this question. WestClan already answered your question....

Someone had been smoking a lot of weed when they put the clasp on that one....

Last edited:
Reactions: Westclan

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
The blue looks good, but I agree with what the others said.. bracelet is wrong on the black. It should be the same as the blue.

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
Hey guys, QC pictures just came in and could really use some opinions (of what I should do more than the watch) as besides these little things, the watch is perfect;

1) The lume mismatch between the hands and indices. I told my TD when ordering that this is one of the things I'm particularly obsessed with and wouldn't mind him holding the cash till a newer batch comes along which he is okay with (so I already gave him a heads up I might be a complete dick beforehand). I've read almost all pages in this thread and I'm fully aware of the "piss yellow lume" illusion. However, my issue is not with the lume looking a little off white but with the lume on the hands being different than the indices. Unfortunately, reluming is not an option where I'm from as the one watchsmith I know who works on reps does not have different (charged) coloured white lume.

Why am I so fixated on this? My BB58 looked perfectly fine in the QC but the mismatch is practically the first thing I see everytime I look at the watch.

My question is; should I wait till VSF brings a new batch (not version) with matching hands and indices or shut up and accept this is a replica and there will always be flaws? Also, has anyone received one with the mismatch and is it bad in person?

2) My datewheel seems to be sitting a little higher than the others I have seen.. or is this just an illusion of the picture? I have already asked for extra shots of the DW.

3) Amplitude of 325° does seem a little high, but at +2s/d I think this is negligible. Also, more often than not, reps tend to not be fully wound. or am I horribly wrong and everything I know is wrong?

ElnmR.jpg

The mismatch between the hands and indices.

El1gL.jpg

The datewheel. (and that god damned mismatch)

El6P8.jpg

The line is a bend on the minute hand right?

Last edited:

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
Hey guys, QC pictures just came in and could really use some opinions (of what I should do more than the watch) as besides these little things, the watch is perfect;

1) The lume mismatch between the hands and indices. I told my TD when ordering that this is one of the things I'm particularly obsessed with and wouldn't mind him holding the cash till a newer batch comes along which he is okay with (so I already gave him a heads up I might be a complete dick beforehand). I've read almost all pages in this thread and I'm fully aware of the "piss yellow lume" illusion. However, my issue is not with the lume looking a little off white but with the lume on the hands being different than the indices. Unfortunately, reluming is not an option where I'm from as the one watchsmith I know who works on reps does not have different (charged) coloured white lume.

Why am I so fixated on this? My BB58 looked perfectly fine in the QC but the mismatch is practically the first thing I see everytime I look at the watch.

My question is; should I wait till VSF brings a new batch (not version) with matching hands and indices or shut up and accept this is a replica and there will always be flaws? Also, has anyone received one with the mismatch and is it bad in person?

2) My datewheel seems to be sitting a little higher than the others I have seen.. or is this just an illusion of the picture? I have already asked for extra shots of the DW.

3) Amplitude of 325° does seem a little high, but at +2s/d I think this is negligible. Also, more often than not, reps tend to not be fully wound. or am I horribly wrong and everything I know is wrong?

ElnmR.jpg

The mismatch between the hands and indices.

El1gL.jpg

The datewheel. (and that god damned mismatch)

El6P8.jpg

IMHO:
Accept the watch. Its a pretty example of the SMP 300. The mismatch is a batch issue and not a QC issue.
Reluming the hands should not cost you more than 30-40 USD/EUR.
And you know that this model has an lume issue. So either buy a different watch from the money you paid or GL it or get your money refunded. It might take a year until they fix it ... nobody knows.
The DW looks fine in my opinion.
The line on the hand is fine.

Reactions: Cloney

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
IMHO:
Accept the watch. Its a pretty example of the SMP 300. The mismatch is a batch issue and not a QC issue.
And you know that this model has an lume issue. So either buy a different watch from the money you paid or GL it or get your money refunded. It might take a year until they fix it ... nobody knows.

If you can find someone who can relume for that money you are lucky, both quotes I got back from a modder on here and an external source both quoted me 150 Euros.

In fact, I had sent off my grey watch to get relumed to one of them, and got sent a message back yesterday saying no need, as it’s the same as the original, which confuses the hell out of me as I have seen the watches and tried them on in store and they are definitely more white than what I have, so he sent me a picture of my grey dial against a black original dial he had in his possession.

Either, I am wrong, the black dial is a rep, or this was a polite way of saying he does not want to do the work.

Epclp.jpg

EpgF5.jpg

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
If you can find someone who can relume for that money you are lucky, both quotes I got back from a modder on here and an external source both quoted me 150 Euros.

In fact, I had sent off my grey watch to get relumed to one of them, and got sent a message back yesterday saying no need, as it’s the same as the original, which confuses the hell out of me as I have seen the watches and tried them on in store and they are definitely more white than what I have, so he sent me a picture of my grey dial against a black original dial he had in his possession.

Either, I am wrong, the black dial is a rep, or this was a polite way of saying he does not want to do the work.

I was speaking about reluming just the hands. For the hands and dial I know a watchmaker who does it for 100 euros.

I have seen the off white lume on GENs as well. The only issue is if there is a difference between hands and dial.
I would say your watch is having a decent lume and I would not get it relumed. Buts that's just my 2 cents.

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
IMHO:

Yeap, that's the worrying bit.. never know how long exactly till the batch is updated/rectified. Unfortunately, reluming is not really possible for me due to the limitations of where I live and international post is a little risky. I'm torn between a watch that is in most ways perfect and a tiny flaw that will bother me. My other option, that I'm leaning to, is probably GL the watch and see if I can live with it. If I can't, try and get the updated VSF hands from my TD and get them swapped (assuming that they match the dial.. which is a whole new worry!). Decisions, decisions!

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19

Epclp.jpg

EpgF5.jpg

That's not too bad to be honest, the lume could be a lot worse.. it could not match the hands! But yes, the lume on the ones at the boutique (and in pictures) are pearl white.. so I completely get what you mean but I think lighting too plays a role in the lume's colour. No doubt that the VSF is definitely off white when compared to the gen, but is it worth half the price of the watch to change that?

Reactions: THXuk

-Archer-

Horology Curious
24/7/18
Yes, lighting in a boutique plays a huge role in the perception of lum color.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
.................so he sent me a picture of my grey dial against a black original dial he had in his possession..............

I would bet good money the pic you included and is below is a Rep. There is a tell on the Bracelet end links. This is discussed quite a few pages back, but it has been discussed. If you look really closely and I do mean closely it does look like what was discussed earlier. I am talking about the rounded vs flat edges on the 2 thinner links on the SEL. If you don't know what I am talking about you probably won't see it as it is fairly difficult to see and it is not at all obvious, but it is there.
EpgF5.jpg

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Hey guys, ..................
El6P8.jpg

100% yes. You will see this in some pics and not in others just because of the angle and the lighting. The hour hand has this same contour/bend on the same area of that hand and once again sometimes it can be seen and others it can not. It shows up more that one side of the hand looks shinny and bright and the other looks like it is in the shade. I am quite sure this is intentional and is correctly done.

Reactions: Time_Wizard

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
I would bet good money the pic you included and is below is a Rep. There is a tell on the Bracelet end links. This is discussed quite a few pages back, but it has been discussed. If you look really closely and I do mean closely it does look like what was discussed earlier. I am talking about the rounded vs flat edges on the 2 thinner links on the SEL. If you don't know what I am talking about you probably won't see it as it is fairly difficult to see and it is not at all obvious, but it is there.
EpgF5.jpg

But it could also just be an vsf bracelet on a gen smp... The watch itself looks pretty good or am I wrong?

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
But it could also just be an vsf bracelet on a gen smp... The watch itself looks pretty good or am I wrong?

I am just playing the odds....
I think that the odds are good that if someone would buy the gen watch head, they would not buy a VSF bracelet & I am almost 100% sure that is a VSF Bracelet. That combined with the fact that the lume is a different shade then the bezel insert markings leads me to believe this is a rep. If I had a good look at the movement I would know for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Time_Wizard

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
Nothing about that black one is gen!
Here is a black and grey dial gen I had a while ago.
c2408b84d7d894d4662dc1b8d6c28815.jpg

324af2790d4db7dd7ebbd368eeb1eaad.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Westclan

Horology Curious
22/5/20
I have the black dial gen and latest VSF rep and whilst the rep has a slight off white hue compared to the gen - most of the time I can hardly notice it and really in my opinion the rep is so good I would just not worry about it. I love this watch and having the rep is great as I can enjoy it when doing stuff I would not wish to expose a £4k watch to like manual stuff and sport. In the evening if it has not been exposed to any natural light during the day - the dials are indistinguishable - both white.

My view anyway for what its worth.