• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vsf 2018 seamaster diver 300m

Therion666

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
26/12/13
Yeah, I know, I've read that and still hoped that my strap was better than everybody else's :D I do have thinner springbars, but I doubt they'll hold it securely. Their tips are thinner too and they wobble inside lug holes. I'll just have my watchsmith do it. He'll probably do it for free anyway..

Last edited:

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
Hi fellow members.

I got my QC today and I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Overall I am pretty happy with the QC. The only thing that bothers me is the alligment of the Bezel-insert with the Bezel. I dont think that this is caused by camera position.
uY9AK.jpg
uYyF8.jpg

Is it possible to get the Bezel-Insert alligned by an Watchmaker?
The only thing I can imagine is, that the insert is taken off, then the Bezel is rotated nearly 360° (one or two clicks missing) and then the insert is placed again. Is this a way to fix it or would the RG plated numbers in the bezel not fit the bezel-insert anymore?

I am not sure if to GL this watch.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Mixad

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/1/20
I know this has been answered already and as others have said the short answer is to just accept it as it is almost for sure just fine.
Thanks, this is a really good post. I should be make sticky somewhere. I waiting for my watch to arrive now :)

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Overall I am pretty happy with the QC. The only thing that bothers me is the alligment of the Bezel-insert with the Bezel. .......

The only thing I can imagine is, that the insert is taken off, then the Bezel is rotated nearly 360° (one or two clicks missing) and then the insert is placed again. Is this a way to fix it ......

Yea, it could be off a click or two. This is a super easy fix. You just do as you say. Lots of people fix this sort of thing themselves. I have done it, and I am no watchmaker....

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
Yea, it could be off a click or two. This is a super easy fix. You just do as you say. Lots of people fix this sort of thing themselves. I have done it, and I am no watchmaker....

Thanks for the fast answer.
With the SS Bezel I know that it is an easy fix. I am just wondering if all the Bezel is RG plated so it doesnt matter if I move the insert OR if the numbers are only RG plated in this exact spot so they wouldnt fit the insert anymore?

Last edited:

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Thanks for the fast answer.
With the SS Bezel I know that it is an easy fix. I am just wondering if all the Bezel is RG plated so it doesnt matter if I move the insert OR if the numbers are only RG plated in this exact spot so they wouldnt fit the insert anymore?

I am not sure I follow what you are saying. Every insert that I have ever seen looks like the pic I am showing below. It is not from a VSF Seamaster, but they all look very similar. It is a disk and all you would do is remove the disk, adjust the bezel a click or two and then re-apply adhesive and re-apply the bezel insert. The numbers will all be an integral part of the insert & as such you can adjust the insert as necessary.
50036334158_5622340e91_c.jpg

Last edited:

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
I am not sure I follow what you are saying. Every insert that I have ever seen looks like the pic I am showing below. It is not from a VSF Seamaster, but they all look very similar. It is a disk and all you would do is remove the disk, adjust the bezel a click or two and then re-apply adhesive and re-apply the bezel insert. The numbers will all be an integral part of the insert & as such you can adjust the insert as necessary.

Thanks for this very informative reply.
Because of the slight engraved look I thought that the insert might only be ceramic (with cutouts). So I thought that the numbers are just cutouts showing the real bezel surface underneath.

But now I know that its an easy fix, just as it is with the SS versions.

Thanks Nanook for your help and the knowledge you shared in this thread!

Last edited:

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Sorted

The strap feels amazing and it's much more comfortable than the bracelet or nato.

Looks and feels great!

Ever since mine went on the rubber, the bracelet hasn't been back on. Nothing to do with why you took yours off the bracelet, I just like it better. I thunk it is a bit less formal and it is more comfortable and I like both.

After > 60 watches if I had to pick only one rep, this would be the one. In my mind, there is no such thing as a GADA watch, but this is as close as it gets for me.

Reactions: Therion666

Shimmyshims

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/5/16
Hi fellow members.

I got my QC today and I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Overall I am pretty happy with the QC. The only thing that bothers me is the alligment of the Bezel-insert with the Bezel. I dont think that this is caused by camera position.
uY9AK.jpg
uYyF8.jpg

The only thing I can imagine is, that the insert is taken off, then the Bezel is rotated nearly 360° (one or two clicks missing) and then the insert is placed again. Is this a way to fix it or would the RG plated numbers in the bezel not fit the bezel-insert anymore?

I am not sure if to GL this watch.

Thanks for your help!

With the will and ample time you can easily fix this.

What I did:

1. Got a chisel and taped the end to protect the watch (you can use a flat head but it has to be very thin, just make sure to tape it.

2. Popped off the bezel with the chisel. I just snuck the tip in and gave a small twist and kept going slowly along the edge of the bezel. If you try to just get it off in one shot you'll bend your bezel.

3. Put the bezel down on a coaster and heated it up with a hair dryer.

4. Flipped the bezel over and where the insert meets the metal, I used the tip of a small flathead to separate the insert from the bezel (insert tip and give small twists all around). Be careful not to touch the glue underneath.

5. I stuck the insert back on and made sure everything was aligned.

6. It's hard to explain but there's a wire inside the bezel that slides around, sort of a hexa/ octa poly shaped wire, I believe the position of this wire matters (someone correct me if I'm wrong) . . . It will take a little fine tuning. Just use the small flathead to push it around.
​​​
​​​​​​ 7. Pop the bezel back on. You might have to repeat step 2 again until you get it right.

Reactions: Therion666

shortlegs

31/5/19
Honest advice for those wanting to try their hand at changing or realigning the ceramic insert for the 1st time? Don't. Get someone skilled at this to do it.

I cracked my sub insert when I was realigning it. Lucky it was a sub, and inserts are relatively easy (if expensive) to buy. I'm not sure if it would even be possible to buy a replacement seamaster insert if you accidentally damage it.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Honest advice for those wanting to try their hand at changing or realigning the ceramic insert for the 1st time? Don't. Get someone skilled at this to do it.

I cracked my sub insert when I was realigning it. Lucky it was a sub, and inserts are relatively easy (if expensive) to buy. I'm not sure if it would even be possible to buy a replacement seamaster insert if you accidentally damage it.

Idk, I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. While it is possible to botch the job as you did, it is an extremely easy fix. I would agree that it could be difficult to find a replacement bezel insert, but if the watchmaker cracks it, you would have the same difficulty. My guess is that if you have any sort of relationship with one of the TD's you could convince them to send you a bezel insert.

Last edited:

chentepilot

Known Member
7/11/18
Well, PT certainly didn’t provide me with a simple bezel click spring when I needed it...

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Well, PT certainly didn’t provide me with a simple bezel click spring when I needed it...

I am certainly not saying all parts can be sourced through all TD's, but from experience I can assure you that some TD's will be much more accommodating than others.

Reactions: chentepilot

daracus

Horology Curious
28/12/18
Hi all, is the bezel for the VSF SMP ceramic still engraved? Is it very noticeable?

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
It never was. You must have confused it for another watch...

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
Looks and feels great!

Ever since mine went on the rubber, the bracelet hasn't been back on. Nothing to do with why you took yours off the bracelet, I just like it better. I thunk it is a bit less formal and it is more comfortable and I like both.

After > 60 watches if I had to pick only one rep, this would be the one. In my mind, there is no such thing as a GADA watch, but this is as close as it gets for me.

This is in fact my unicorn, my GADA, I love everything about it, even the wart at 10. The only watch that makes me want to go gen. I absolutely adore it on rubber.

20200625-092346.jpg

I love the way the shape of lugs is reflected on the buckle with transition from brushed to polished surfaces, absolutely stunning.

20200625-092550.jpg

Last edited:

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Hi all, is the bezel for the VSF SMP ceramic still engraved? Is it very noticeable?

I have mine in front of me now. I believe it is engraved, but it is extremely slightly so. If I look at it with the naked eye, I can not see it. If I run my fingertip around on it, I can not feel it, if I run my fingernail around on it, my nail catches ever so slightly on the markers and numbers.

In my opinion, this is a non-issue

Reactions: Time_Wizard