• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

8500 Clone Movement Rotor Moving When Winding (VIDEO)

mikenike

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/12/17
Hey all,

This might serve as a big PSA to anyone interested in buying this watch.

I have two of these in hand. It's happening to one of them a lot worse than the other (PO), and the other one (AT) is starting to show the same. Basically, both watches are having this issue.

Watches work great, and hold perfect time, I'm not losing many seconds per day. I understand that the rotor can spin and it will still wind the springs. I can still wind it and get it going. If I wind it slowly, the rotor catches. If I wind it quickly, with a little bit of speed, I can wind it how it is supposed to be. You can hear it sometimes winding normally in the video, and you can clearly see when the rotor catches.

According to my research, it seems like it could be an issue with the lubrication on the reversing wheel, as noted in this thread for a GENUINE Omega:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ro...ad-451314.html

I'm not too disappointed, because the watches are fantastic, but I am worried how much it might cost to service, whether it's on me or my TD, the fact that I have two more on the way, and who would actually be willing to work on this movement so soon.

At the beginning, I go slowly to show the rotor catching, then I give it a few spins with speed and it winds how it should, maybe a little too much friction.

Reactions: csthe and vcappp

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
I had this issue on a genuine ETA 2836, it was a very quick and cheap fix for a watchsmith.

Obviously I cannot say for sure it’s the same problem as it’s a different movement but it showed exactly the same symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: vcappp

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
That's a sure symptom of a poorly lubricated automatic winding module- you should have it attended to asap. It should be relatively cheap to do, as the service can be done without removing the movement from the case.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mikenike

1/12/17

I wouldn't let this dissuade you from buying the watch, that post I linked from WatchUSeek was with a genuine Omega having the same issue.

I'm going to go ahead and see what my TD says, source a watch-smith locally to attempt to repair it, and report back.

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Watchmaker here. Super quick fix, and yes, it's just lube. The autowind comes apart without disassembling the whole movement, you don't need a whole service to correct it. It's something we test before it leaves the bench, apparently the Chinese are pushing these out the door.

Swerepguy

12/2/18
Watchmaker here. Super quick fix, and yes, it's just lube. The autowind comes apart without disassembling the whole movement, you don't need a whole service to correct it. It's something we test before it leaves the bench, apparently the Chinese are pushing these out the door.

If you dont fix this problem but not winding the watch, is it going to break or is this just a winding problem?

mikenike

1/12/17

I hope so. I’ve done a bunch of looking and it seemingly happens to Gen Omegas, Gen Swiss ETA, reps, name it. I’m just concerned if the watchmaker will not want to work on this “Superclone” movement, or even replicas for that matter.

mikenike

1/12/17
Brought it to a watch smith and he noticed the rotor moving, but told me it was totally fine how it is, and didn’t want to work on it.

He advised me to just wind it 4-5 times when I wear it and run it.

BS? Or?

Swerepguy

12/2/18
Brought it to a watch smith and he noticed the rotor moving, but told me it was totally fine how it is, and didn’t want to work on it.

He advised me to just wind it 4-5 times when I wear it and run it.

BS? Or?

He a might Be afraid of destroying a movement he doesn't know anything about.

mikenike

1/12/17

Right on, I just got a second opinion.

Second shop saw the issue, took it in, will get an estimate. Hopefully not too bad. I don’t know what I should expect. Any ideas how much this should cost?

Reactions: Swerepguy

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Nah, it really isn't a big deal. If it was spinning totally when you wind, it would demand attention, but just a little movement won't really hurt it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
And I just watched your video. Just go get the autowind taken care of. I thought it was a little wiggle. It's still no big deal though

Swerepguy

12/2/18
And I just watched your video. Just go get the autowind taken care of. I thought it was a little wiggle. It's still no big deal though

If you don't fix this problem but still use the watch but not winding it. Can the movement get gamaged or is just when winding it?

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Theoretically, yes. But Why wouldn't want to fix it, it's cheap and easy. Hell, get the right tools and lube, watch a YouTube tutorial and do it yourself. If left unlubed your autowind will self-destruct and take the movement with it.
You can run your car with a dry transmission...for a little while.

Reactions: jfdupuis

jfdupuis

14/5/10
Theoretically, yes. But Why wouldn't want to fix it, it's cheap and easy. Hell, get the right tools and lube, watch a YouTube tutorial and do it yourself. If left unlubed your autowind will self-destruct and take the movement with it.
You can run your car with a dry transmission...for a little while.
I got one coming in the mail. I have no idea if mine will have that problem, but is this an issue will all of these movements. Hkw can you tell if it has this problem?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
I got one coming in the mail. I have no idea if mine will have that problem, but is this an issue will all of these movements. Hkw can you tell if it has this problem?

It's a fairly common issue with rep movements. Hold your watch upright and wind it, if you can feel the rotor spinning when you wind then your autowind is dry, another clue is a "crunchy" feel when you wind. It's never a bad idea to give your new watch a preliminary service before regular use.

Reactions: jfdupuis

jfdupuis

14/5/10
Will do. Never had that issue with other watches. How is the power reserve with this watch?