• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NEW RELEASE: A8605 clone Aqua Terra

Silwer

Known Member
17/12/14
I am currently ordering this updated version. I received QC photos and now Iooked also more carefully Puretime web photos and it seems to me that there is slight problem with this replica.

On the face letters GMT are bit too dark red. I have not seen original in person, however, looking at the videos and official photos, red colour of the GMT letters should be the same as the red on the GMT arm...

https://youtu.be/oauUt6qj-OI
https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-...-150m-omega-co-axial-gmt-43-mm-23110432203001

Reactions: vcappp

Silwer

Known Member
17/12/14
Here you can see that there is colour difference:
​​​​​​
IMG_1800.JPG

However, I accepted it anyway... :)

Silwer

Known Member
17/12/14
In addition I ordered gen Omega nato strap for the watch:
Screenshot_20181229-140310_Gallery.jpg

I could have choosen a rep strap, but there is not one available in the colour scheme I wanted...

Reactions: csthe and leo6929

Champagne iH

4/1/14
I’m in on one of these as soon as my TD gets them. I’m very happy with the movement on my Spectre. I still haven’t been able to time it yet but the power reserve seems to be very good.

I’ve ordered a Spectre. These are very nice. In fact if you look on eBay, most of these lesser known grey market sellers that issue their own warranty are selling reps.

I was blown away that 4 of 5 Spectre’s That I looked at were easily seen to be replicas. That means that they are so good that people that don’t take the time to search out a $4-$6,000+ purchase are paying and are happy with these new reps.

I find it nauseating that eBay doesn’t even have a way to report this without going to great length because you have to choose from pre-selected reporting statements and then move to the next and the next and the last report only has 2 choices that doesn’t fit what you want to report. Then I just think, I’m not the world’s police, and karma will catch up with these people.

However I’m tickled with my LMPO and yes it’s not a 8500-ish clone but a 2892-2 Cline so it would be easy to spot if the case was opened, but I have certain reps for my enjoyment, never to be passed off as a real Omega. But I’m so glad Omega rep quality is improving thus much. No I won’t pay $500+ for a rep because they aren’t perfect but close enough for me to buy in the $379-$400ish range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silwer

Known Member
17/12/14
I finally also got my watch. To be honest, I am bit disappointed. Especially, when comparing it to my 45.5mm Noob CRPO. It's bracelet feels light and edges are bit sharp. I have never hold gen in my hands, but I doubt it should be sharp and so light. Watch itself seems ok. Just I have got used wearing bigger watches. I should receive soon my original nato strap. I hope to enjoy the watch more with gen nato.

henchr

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/1/19
Norway
I finally also got my watch. To be honest, I am bit disappointed. Especially, when comparing it to my 45.5mm Noob CRPO. It's bracelet feels light and edges are bit sharp. I have never hold gen in my hands, but I doubt it should be sharp and so light. Watch itself seems ok. Just I have got used wearing bigger watches. I should receive soon my original nato strap. I hope to enjoy the watch more with gen nato.

You're not the first person to report that. I'm getting mine as soon as Andrew sends me the QC pics over CNY, so I'm looking forward to checking out the bracelet. I'm not really sure what straps I could get for it, but I'm thinking a blue stingray strap could be an interesting choice. Although, hopefully the bracelet will be sufficient, as I'm partial to just leaving it on for good. How's the movement holding up?

henchr

29/1/19
Norway
Movement is good. No complaints there.
Also, with original nato it looks good on the wirst:

Looks great! And the gen nato is looking fantastic! Having to wait an extra week for CNY to end is excruciating :frusty:

henchr

29/1/19
Norway
Seeing as I haven't gotten the AT GMT yet, I figured I'd ask here. I'm considering buying a gen 117STZ001154 micro adjustment clasp, but I'm unsure of the clasp dimensions. Could someone do a quick check to see if it's 20mm at the clasp?

obrienk

Renowned Member
15/7/07
Yes, it's 20mm.

Edit: Sorry, I just realised you meant you want someone to measure the strap. I was measuring the micro adjust clasp which i have on my UPO.

henchr

29/1/19
Norway
After 15 days (incl. triangle shipping) it's finally here! I thought I'd add a few points I noticed on the first day. Most are very positive, and there are a few very nitpicky things. They're no problems, simply observations. Strictly speaking, it's a $350 watch, you shouldn't be able to get this kind of quality at this price. So any "problems" are simply stated because they are there and should not, in any case, be representative for the AT GMT, which is - in my opinion - worthy of being NWBIG. I can't attest for the quality of the movement just yet, but a quick run on the timegrapher shows that it averages at -3spd, with the worst position being crown down (varying between -9spd and +3spd). The beat error and amplitude are perfect considering that this is a hotchpotch proprietary movement.
  • Hands and indices: I was very surprised to see both hands and indices being brushed on top and having polished sides. I hadn't thought about it before, but I'm extremely surprised that they managed to pull it off this nicely. It's a time-consuming task, especially for things at this dimension, so having finishing like this is impressive. The brushing is done very well, and there's no bleeding into the polished sides.
  • Date wheel: This is the one flaw I saw on the QC pics, it's a micrometre too much to the right on the double digits. I can't understand the people red lighting a watch for something so trivial, which even gen watches suffer from, so I took the "plunge". It's not noticeable at all. Looking at QC pics up close makes me forget that the watch itself is small, and the tolerances we're dealing with here is less than 1mm. The printing does leave a bit to be desired. I would like to see the print being a bit thicker, but that's life.
  • Date setting: It goes backwards! Oh, how I've wanted this. Though no quick set, having the ability to go back when you're too eager to set the date is fantastic. I'm surprised they added this, and I haven't really heard anyone talk about it. The jumping hours are smooth and get into position remarkably well. I'm eager to see how the movement holds up.
  • Finishing: The sides are finely brushed, which are impressively straight. The polishing is well done, with sharp edges all around. There's two or three nicks here and there, but nothing I'd ever bother to point out. It'll blend in with ordinary use anyway.
  • Bracelet: I'm actually surprised! I've heard a lot about it, coming with sharp edges, poor machining, loose screws and whathaveyou, but mine is quite good. Yes, the tolerances aren't perfect, so when worn loose it rattles just a tiny bit, but anything under $2000 does. Hell, I tried on a gen Rolex Explorer yesterday and even that drooped a bit when held vertically. It's not a fantastic bracelet, but for its price, it's remarkably good. Beggars can't be choosers. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they've included the little bearing which secures in place, but I'm hesitant to trust it too much. I'll have to put it through a bit of wearing to see how it holds up. Resizing it was a breeze, but the screws need a bit of Loctite. I imagine it'll be absolutely fantastic after a quick rinse and an oil bath.
  • SELs: The solid end links are well machined and have practically no gaps. The polishing between the lugs is well done, but they could've done a better job on the inside of the lugs themselves. Again, to be expected, if I wanted that kind of attention to detail, I'd go gen.
  • Crown: Though expertly done, it is a bit sharp. It should wear in nicely, but I try my best to avoid having to pull it out. Luckily, the power reserve let's me avoid that. The screw works well and the threads are nicely done. Pulling it out to the two positions gives some nice tactile feedback.
  • Colouring: It's darker than I expected. I was expecting a tad lighter shade of blue, to be honest. I haven't seen a blue one in gen yet, so I can't tell how close it is. The GMT logo is a completely other shade of red than the GMT hand, but I'm fairly certain this is the case for the gen as well. I only had a brief moment with a black gen a few weeks ago but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Looking through the few reviews on YouTube it does look like it's a different shade, just not as extreme as this. But it all comes down to the lighting, in my experience.
  • Gaskets: If you're comfortable with it, screw off that caseback and grease the gaskets right away. They were completely dry; pair that with the wimpy way they had screwed on the caseback, I'd say a 30m rating is for the lucky days. Luckily I had some gasket grease laying around and got them nice and moist, as well as getting the caseback properly screwed on. I always take a close look at the movement to look for any sort of dust or particles, but this one is surprisingly clean - it's a bit dry, but I expected that. It should need some service, so I'll look around for a good technician to have a proper look at it. I'm expecting a fair bit of grime under the bridges and such.
  • Movement: Again, very clean and fantastically well done. I haven't had the chance to take a proper look at it, but the oil wells seem kind of dry. The winding is almost as smooth as my Hamilton Khaki King. The setting of the minute hand is just slightly loose, so setting it to the correct minute in a hurry isn't going to happen. However, it's something that happened with my gen Hydroconquest as well, so I'm not surprised.
  • Weight: It feels solid enough. The complete watch, with all links, weighs in at 171g. I removed four links, so mine is clocking in at 160g, so you can go figure when it comes to individual links. Heavier than I expected, and I wouldn't have it any heavier.
All things considered, I'm amazed. They seem to have nailed everything. Sure, there's the obvious flaws, but I'm prepared to ignore that considering I paid next to nought for it. I'm excited to see how the movement performs and how things in general holds up, not to mention getting to play around with straps. I have a black nylon, a black croc, a blue and red suede, and a brown suede in 21mm, so it'll be interesting to see how it likes new shoes.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp and obrienk

LarryBird

Looking Around
20/12/18
A
All things considered, I'm amazed. They seem to have nailed everything. Sure, there's the obvious flaws, but I'm prepared to ignore that considering I paid next to nought for it. I'm excited to see how the movement performs and how things in general holds up, not to mention getting to play around with straps. I have a black nylon, a black croc, a blue and red suede, and a brown suede in 21mm, so it'll be interesting to see how it likes new shoes.

I just received the watch as well, but my automatic winding barely charges. I think the rotor is quite loose on my piece. How free does it move on yours?

Do you have any idea how I how would tighten it? I don't see screw on the rotor.

henchr

29/1/19
Norway
I just received the watch as well, but my automatic winding barely charges. I think the rotor is quite loose on my piece. How free does it move on yours?

Do you have any idea how I how would tighten it? I don't see screw on the rotor.

Mine moves completely fine, and winds as normal. There's a small washer in the center of the rotor, which you'll have to pry off to get to the rotor screw. See santre22's post on the 8500 to get a good idea of what to do.

Darren1308

Horology Curious
3/7/19
8500 vsf or 8605 vsf? Has anyone had experience with both. I'm just in the process of buying one and I'm not sure which is the best version.

Mazao

Looking Around
29/3/19
LarryBird I received my watch few weeks ago and have the same issue with the automatic winding, the rotor moves totally free and under normal use it doesn't charge. Trying to find a solution now.