• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Finally, a decent Planet Ocean 8900

Fracture

Renowned Member
7/10/13
New release on Puretime: https://puretime.io/omg2018070701.html

V6f, BP and OMF have been churning out various variants of these now but all of them were quite bad. They all had issues with either the case size, dial colors, rubber bezel part that sank in and no one bothered to replicate the new bracelet.

I'm not sure who makes this one as info has not been added yet, but everything looks pretty good AND they replicated the new bracelet with the changed endlinks and the quick adjustment clasp!
I think it's still 2824 based. The only glaring thing where they seemed to have gone wrong is that the bezel seems to be engraved. I am quite certain that's not the case on the gen watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: phdsjain

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
It is V6/VS factory. They made a 8500 clone movement first and looks they did a homework for 8900 too :)

You are right Fracture the markers on the gen insert are flush with the ceramic (like in each liquidmetal insert), still I would give the factory a huge credit for making the rubber element right. The rubber is no longer sunken. Good job.

Last edited:

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15

lyakya

Known Member
8/3/18
Let's hope it's only a bezel issue on the prototype. I have the former version and it's like the liquid metal gen

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Never heard about the 3S Factory. As per Dtime it is Asian 2824 automatic movement, decorated to Omega 8900 movement. They do sell it for $498, what makes me guess our TDs may sell it around $375.

https://dtime.store/om0290-omega-se...ade-black-orange-bezel-on-bracelet-a8900.html

3S factory is very new, but they are upgrading what OM factory made. Here are the upgrades :

Better bezel detail especially on the coloring technique of the orange bezel. 3S use layering before painting. It's produced better color and very neat compare to OM. here is the comparison pictures :
JR7DPMR.gif

Bigger date font and thinner. Also the bezel marker is thinner compare to OM factory. This is very close to genuine :
E2N39vO.jpg

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
Date window does look very good compared to OM. It is sharp, I like it.

Fracture

Renowned Member
7/10/13
I'm just not too sure why they decided to make the bezel numbers and markers engraved. It's not like gen, and I can only imagine it takes more work to produce.

lyakya

Known Member
8/3/18
Do you think the dial is shiny like the gen?
It sure looks like shinning then other factories.

Rindoza

Horology Curious
8/7/18
Looks like it is now available on puretime. I’m ready to pull the trigger except I don’t really like that it has miyota movement. Thoughts on the movement?

Bokthoi

4/9/17
Miyota 9015 is regarded as very stable movement, occasionally you can get one with a noisy rotor but that can be silenced with some oil on the bearing. Im also interested in this but I’m trying to find some good gen/rep comparisons. It does look miles better than OMs offering

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
The bezel is not correct. The numbers are engraved which is incorrect - it should be flush and smooth all around.

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
I just saw the videos. These guys just nailed the orange section of the bezel that no one else has been able to replicate accurately... and they engraved the bezel numbers... you gotta be shittin´me...

Reactions: Cullingworth