• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega 8500 super clone is here

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Ok, no time for pics, but quickly. Trusty EMSd my watch, I just sized the bracelet and gave it a once over. It's amazing quality for the price as far as finish goes. polished surfaces are flat, brushing is perfect. I expected much less for this price, it's been a long time since I bought a fake, and I'm really impressed. I'm not going to have to refinish this at all. The external appearance/finish quality is really up there. Same with the crown tube & crown threads. They feel genuine, very fine, internal threads like Omega. I expected to need to put in a genuine crown & tube.

Same goes for the bracelet screws. Extremely high quality so far with the 5 min once over. Post more later.

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
No, it doesn't. Looks like it's corrected.

I have a 42mm Planet Ocean on order that I already ordered a genuine dial, hands, crown & tube for. If it is made as well as this one is, I may not need them at all. At least not the crown & tube. All the engraving/etching is very sharp as well.

Without my loupe, my only complaint is that the dial print is not as 3D as Omega. That's really it. I don't think I'd buy the real watch at retail+ though, the lugs are oddly long and my wrist is thin, and I wish they had a little Omega twist to them. It looks great otherwise though.

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16
Ok, no time for pics, but quickly. Trusty EMSd my watch, I just sized the bracelet and gave it a once over. It's amazing quality for the price as far as finish goes. polished surfaces are flat, brushing is perfect. I expected much less for this price, it's been a long time since I bought a fake, and I'm really impressed. I'm not going to have to refinish this at all. The external appearance/finish quality is really up there. Same with the crown tube & crown threads. They feel genuine, very fine, internal threads like Omega. I expected to need to put in a genuine crown & tube.

Same goes for the bracelet screws. Extremely high quality so far with the 5 min once over. Post more later.

Coumd you pls post picts of your updated model ? And could you measure the inner ring also ? IT seams i will have to order it again :)

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Coumd you pls post picts of your updated model ? And could you measure the inner ring also ? IT seams i will have to order it again :)

I'm not home so I can't mic it, but I can try to take a pic or two. I'm not sure this is Superluminova on the dial and hands. It doesn't seem to glow very long, but I haven't been in much light with it yet.

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
0905182238-1_zpsmqvazrwt.jpg

0905181918_zpsb5rrksud.jpg

0905181918a_zpsjwqepjq4.jpg

Feeble half-attempt. I'm not a photographer, but here you go. You can see in one how the long lugs look on a skinny wrist at that angle. Not a fan. If they were 4-5mm shorter, I think the watch would look more balanced.

Again, the finish quality is really remarkable, especially for what I paid. I think I can safely state it's better than any genuine watch I've paid attention to at the same price point. (Seiko, Tissot, etc.) The AR is fantastic, and much better than many genuine watches at much, much higher prices. The weak point is really the dial print. The A and the G in Omega have a little bit of slop on mine, unnoticeable without magnification. Kind of odd that is the only real flaw, because I've definitely seen better dials at the same price point, but this is miles better than the last fake I bought 10ish years ago overall.

Also not really worth noting, but the 3,6 & 9 and the Omega logo are not white, they're printed in a metallic silver. I didn't notice that until I pulled my loupe out.

Forgot to note: The bezel works fine, but it doesn't feel great. Not horribly cheap, but not like an Omega. I can probably improve it by polishing the detent.

Last edited:
Reactions: leo6929 and vcappp

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
When you have the chance please measure the steel inner bezel! Thanks for your impressions!

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16
0905182238-1_zpsmqvazrwt.jpg

0905181918_zpsb5rrksud.jpg

0905181918a_zpsjwqepjq4.jpg

Feeble half-attempt. I'm not a photographer, but here you go. You can see in one how the long lugs look on a skinny wrist at that angle. Not a fan. If they were 4-5mm shorter, I think the watch would look more balanced.

Again, the finish quality is really remarkable, especially for what I paid. I think I can safely state it's better than any genuine watch I've paid attention to at the same price point. (Seiko, Tissot, etc.) The AR is fantastic, and much better than many genuine watches at much, much higher prices. The weak point is really the dial print. The A and the G in Omega have a little bit of slop on mine, unnoticeable without magnification. Kind of odd that is the only real flaw, because I've definitely seen better dials at the same price point, but this is miles better than the last fake I bought 10ish years ago overall.

Also not really worth noting, but the 3,6 & 9 and the Omega logo are not white, they're printed in a metallic silver. I didn't notice that until I pulled my loupe out.

Forgot to note: The bezel works fine, but it doesn't feel great. Not horribly cheap, but not like an Omega. I can probably improve it by polishing the detent.

Thanks to do this review !
In your picts, the number seams closer to the inner ring than the first batch, but if you can do the measure of the ring it will be perfect and really appreciate i think by a lot of members here :) !

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
You can see in one how the long lugs look on a skinny wrist at that angle. Not a fan. If they were 4-5mm shorter, I think the watch would look more balanced.

I agree, but as we've seen with the newly-bloated SMP300, Omega is in "bigger is better" mode.

Last edited:

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Morning note. It is Superluminova, or an equivalent. The room I slept in last night had blackout curtains, and when I woke up it was still glowing.

Reactions: vcappp

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
I agree, but as we've seen with the newly-bloated SMP300, Omega is in "bigger is better" mode.

Yeah, I loved the look of it before I had it on, but the long lugs make it a big block on top of my wrist. It's really too bad.
It timed out at -3 sec per day, and at 20ish hours on the wrist, it's dead on. -0/+0. Pretty unbelievable. I wish it looked better on. Whoever designed these and the people assembling them really know what they are doing. Fantastic for any movement. I was going to tear it down to have a look at the movement. I hate to touch it now.

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
It timed out at -3 sec per day, and at 20ish hours on the wrist, it's dead on. -0/+0. Pretty unbelievable. I wish it looked better on. Whoever designed these and the people assembling them really know what they are doing. Fantastic for any movement. I was going to tear it down to have a look at the movement. I hate to touch it now.

So you are a watchmaker who regularly works on Omega and Rolex but afraid to tear down and look at a rep movement, an asian clone of an ETA? :abnormal:

Reactions: mech500

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
So you are a watchmaker who regularly works on Omega and Rolex but afraid to tear down and look at a rep movement, an asian clone of an ETA? :abnormal:

It's not a clone of an ETA, it's a non-coaxial partialclone of an Omega calibre. I'm not afraid, I just don't want to bother a movement that is already keeping time as well as I could possibly hope to regulate it. I'm a watchmaker, not an idiot. Not a total idiot, anyhow.

Swerepguy

12/2/18
Yeah, I loved the look of it before I had it on, but the long lugs make it a big block on top of my wrist. It's really too bad.

Please do it and tell us what you think about the movement. Weak points and stuff = ) You Are My Hero for sure.

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Please do it and tell us what you think about the movement. Weak points and stuff = ) You Are My Hero for sure.

I'm waiting on one of these https://puretime.io/planet-ocean-pr...range-markers-a8500-super-clone-2-straps.html and I have a bunch of genuine parts coming for it that I'm going to install on it anyhow. I'll probably tear that one down, unless it's running just as perfectly. If so, I'll do this one instead, since I know I like the way the PO looks on my wrist & I'm disappointed in the way the lugs make this one sit.

I don't anticipate many weak points, it looks to be finished very well, but we'll see when I start pulling plates. I don't expect any surprises though, it seems all of the feedback on these points to consistently good timekeeping. The big one is going to be parts, unless genuine parts are a direct swap. Discovering what pallet fork & escape wheel they used will be a thing, but they may have just made one unique to this watch since they made the rest.

Anybody know if you can get parts for these, or just buy movements by themselves?

Reactions: Swerepguy

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I'm waiting on one of these https://puretime.io/planet-ocean-pr...range-markers-a8500-super-clone-2-straps.html and I have a bunch of genuine parts coming for it that I'm going to install on it anyhow. I'll probably tear that one down, unless it's running just as perfectly. If so, I'll do this one instead, since I know I like the way the PO looks on my wrist & I'm disappointed in the way the lugs make this one sit.

I don't anticipate many weak points, it looks to be finished very well, but we'll see when I start pulling plates. I don't expect any surprises though, it seems all of the feedback on these points to consistently good timekeeping. The big one is going to be parts, unless genuine parts are a direct swap. Discovering what pallet fork & escape wheel they used will be a thing, but they may have just made one unique to this watch since they made the rest.

Anybody know if you can get parts for these, or just buy movements by themselves?

Althoygh this is not an ETA movement, it’s built by eta (on commission for omega), so I am wondering if eta and 8x00 common service parts are transferable?

Xman

6/2/11
As far as I know, no, possibly not even one part is the same, it is its own movement family with different geometry and different architecture. Maybe a small part like a stem, or something in the keyless or date mechanism, but in reality probably nothing.

Reactions: vcappp and mech500

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Althoygh this is not an ETA movement, it’s built by eta (on commission for omega), so I am wondering if eta and 8x00 common service parts are transferable?

I've got a call in to my Omega friend, I'm going to see if he can tell me if there are any parts on the 8x00 series that are common to other ETA movements, like wheels, etc. I kind of doubt it, (even the keyless look totally unique to this calibre in the tech manual) and I don't remember hearing anything, but if there are I'll compare and it'll give me an idea of whether any of these are direct swap. I have a crapton of ETA parts.

Reactions: mech500

Xman

6/2/11
Not wheels, due to the bpm of the movement, the gear train tooth count would be different.