• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Planet Ocean 600m Chronograph mini review

jonjoe

Horology Curious
12/12/17
So as a relatively new member, I thought I'd make my contribution and write my first mini review on this watch. It may seem like I'm just pointing out flaws, but ill start by adding that I really like this watch and its my fave owned rep upto now.

Omega Planet Ocean 600m Chronograph, OM Factory, V2, a7750 movement - sourced by Ryan at Intime.

First, very happy with Ryan and the service. This is the second TD I've bought from so far and the one I will be using going forward due to the excellent service and watch.

Now, in my opinion, this is a very nice rep. I considered buying the gen but decided to go with something else gen and try the rep. Its not perfect by a long shot but the pics really dont do justice to how nice this is in the flesh. I originally wanted the non - chrono version by h factory, simply because the orange rubber 15 minutes looked better on that version, but it was out of stock after I paid so I got this instead as it was available and the next best looking to me.

I've obsessed over and tried on the gen in the local boutiques more than I care to remember now, so am fairly familiar with it.

Firstly, ill start with the most obvious flaws.

The bezel - the orange 15 minutes is filled with an orange vulcanised rubber compound that is supposed to fill the lazer etched gap and sit flush with the rest of the bezel.

On the rep the orange doesn't quite fill the gap so you can feel the shortfall when you run your finger over it. Its not that obvious in person and only noticeable when the light catches it in certain angles. Also, the black indices on the orange parts are a lot larger than gen. This is the biggest tell for me and can be spotted a mile away.

The metallic markers in between the orange sections are misaligned, I dont think they're particularly bad on the watch I have and have seen much worse on other peoples and other versions. I think its a bit of a crap shoot to how well they line up on the watch you get. This is the single biggest thing that bothers me about this watch and the main thing I looked for when shopping in the first instance(why I chose h factory first).

The pearl isnt centered, not so obvious but it is off slightly.

The dial - the orange 12 and the omega logo are a slightly thicker font than gen - not that noticeable. The 12, 3, 6, 9 markers can be misaligned, mine again, are good apart from the 6 is slightly off.

The date numbers and markers, indices and sub dials are more 'glittery metallic' and textured on the gen. They're just a flat silvery/white on this rep.

The dial arrow, chrono hand and pearl dont line up perfectly together, slightly off. Also, all sub dials work exactly like gen - including both hands on the dial at 3. Mine has some chrono creep on the 12 hour hand.

Not sure what AR is applied to the crystal but it does look quite good, not a lot of reflection at all. Nice and clear.

The case - the He valve is tangent to the bezel when it should be angled to line up more with the case, the angle is just wrong.

The crown when unscrewed is really wobbly/loose and feels unstable and weak. It looks very good though.

The fully decorated movement looks great. Spelling looks good and everything working as it should. Also includes the black balance wheel.

The bracelet looks and feels great although after wearing it for a while, there are a couple of rough and sharp edges on the clasp that are scratching the bracelet that I need to gently file off and smooth.

The first thing I noticed on the gen was how bloody heavy it was, this one is no different. I love heavy watches and this thing is a big, heavy unit.

Overall there are plenty of flaws to be found but the watch does still look spectacular in the flesh and i'm very happy with it. It is the best version of this watch right now and I cant take it off or stop admiring it.

The only problem now is, having this has made me want the gen even more.......
rHfqgFy.jpg

Jjqr17z.jpg

lD99qfw.jpg

8LF2o0Q.jpg

O3VZG6L.jpg
owg5hX7.jpg
X2kPpuE.jpg
KuO4elE.jpg

Last edited:

sierra-tango

Known Member
15/3/18
Great read - wear your REP proudly, mate.
One thing I've noted regarding the placement of the pearl: check the dial markers @9 and @3 compared with the bezel markers @9 and @3. You can turn the whole movement slightly clockwise to get a a good match of pearl @12 & markers @3 & @9. Therefore:
1. Open the caseback (with a rubber ball and/or rubber gloves)
2. Open the screws that hold the movement in place.
3. Use a toothpick or something else and turn the movement slightly clockwise.
4. Vice versa.
That's it. Easy fix.

When I pulled the trigger going CrPO REP, believe me mate, I've checked about 50 GEN like pictures on chrono24, studying them and I found obvious misalignment, crooked markes and so on. It makes me laugh thinking about that obsession that drove me to get a best possible REP. :jerry:

Last edited:

jonjoe

Horology Curious
12/12/17
Oh yes, the quest for perfection is definitely on now....would love to get my mits on noob Lmpo. I like the 45mm watches though and I would definitely jump on an improved version of this.

As for the alignment, I was planning to rotate the movement a bit but it will also need the chrono hand removing and refitting slightly to the left. No big deal, just need to order a shed load of watch tools. I can see this turning into a very expensive hobby......

sierra-tango

Known Member
15/3/18
Most important thing for me: Before I open a watch, doing little adjustments, I need at least one coffee, a lot of free time and I'm good to go to open those watches and do the job.
I loved the LMPO so much, but I was one or two weeks to late to order first batch LMPO few years ago, they had the correct red color on the second hand. Especially the LUME fascinated me so much. Things got worse with the second batch of LMPO so I did the other way: I went to an AD, checked if the CrPO (45.5mm) would fit my wrist well, resulting that I felt in love with the CrPO. So I really like that watch. The bracelet is really a great one. I can obviously live with the big tell that it has an open caseback and the movement is easy to identify as a REP if know exactly how the GEN looks like. But who cares, the love for that CrPO is that much greater, a f#cking rock :D:D

As you said, very expensive hobby, especially if you go the path owning a bunch of REPs - e.g. AP's can be so expensive as we see on their forum section :D
Alternatively, we have a lot of great PAM's with SUPER REP status, coz they're really great builts with robust movements like the A6497. Easy and cheap to swap if something goes wrong.

Anyway - I like your watch. We need to enjoy as much as we can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bull:

Last edited:

ACL-REP

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/5/19
Seattle, WA
So as a relatively new member, I thought I'd make my contribution and write my first mini review on this watch. It may seem like I'm just pointing out flaws, but ill start by adding that I really like this watch and its my fave owned rep up to now.

Omega Planet Ocean 600m Chronograph, OM Factory, V2, a7750 movement - sourced by Ryan at Intime.

jonjoe Thanks for the excellent review. I just saw it because I was searching for information about the rep I have on order. (also a PO Chrono from OM Factory)

Now that it has been over a year, can you tell me how the watch is running today? Does it still keep decent time? Do the chrono functions still work the same?

I'd really like to know since I have the same model on order. (although mine is the grey one)

Thanks,

ACL

Here is one of the QC pics of the rep I have on order...

Omega Rep

Reactions: Pietros

jonjoe

Horology Curious
12/12/17
Not logged in for a while, but honestly, I still have this watch to this day, I wear it a lot and it still works perfectly.