• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Affordable Speedmaster Alternative from Omega x Swatch (pics inside) "MoonSwatch"

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Not quite sure about that. Swatch makes a killing selling these and they don’t need any extra push on brand awareness, most non-watch aficionados know about them and I’m pretty sure their watch brand association and value is on par with the big boys. I genuinely think they are under supply constrains. But probably none of us will never know, ha.

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
What do you think the manufacturing cost for a rep is? Presumably a little more than what Swatch pay. Swatch are crazy for not selling these. When these flood the market it's game over!

Why would the rep cost more than the gen to make?
The materials and movements used in reps have always been below the Swiss standard. Not to mention the lower manufacturing cost in China.
Let's even assume the gen Swatch is partly assembled in China, it still would cost more due to enhanced quality checking procedures. They've a reputation to uphold.

Somehow Swatch got the cost right down.... And somehow the rep makers are clearly making a healthy profit because they know we'll pay it, within reason.
Just don't expect a proper ETA chronograph.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
https://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf...4741/s-0/pzt-/
omega_7227111.jpg

Some say probably the quality may be inferior, difficult to say from the picture

Last edited:

wilzc

Known Member
27/2/16
I’m saddened that the Facs are not able to replicate a 250 dollar watch

Considering what they can do with the others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
Well it's all about making the cost as low as possible to be worth buying, and it's a matter of timing.
A super rep can take 6 - 12+ months to replicate (pre-pandemic) and we know that's not gonna happen with this swatch rep.
The makers need to shift these as fast as possible to make a profit, before the gen becomes more available.

If it meant waiting a month or two, I'll wait for the gen.

But if in the meantime, a decent rep was available, then I'd buy it. Based on what I've seen so far, the replication has been poor and IMO not worth the asking price.
They might sell quicker for circa 45 bucks.

Last edited:

FyiDev

Known Member
20/2/21
UK
These look like utter trash, but then again they were posted in r/chinatime so could have been some cheap aliexpress rep. Anyone actually have any quality pics from a TD?

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
I requested pics from a TD but was ignored.

I can't imagine that there's another factory out there producing this just yet? I might be wrong but maybe the better makers took one look at the whole project and thought that it wasn't economically viable to try to rep the swatch to an acceptable standard?

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
In the gen, they are replaceable, like all Swatch watches.

Last edited:

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
More confirmation of the flaws on the current rep. Although, the E accent on Tachymetre appears to be fixed, going by the pics on previous pages of this thread.
To summarise the video below, the reps flaws are:

Coloured dials are too dark. Not matching the Plastic case.
Hour markers too long.
No S on the crystal
SWISS MADE wrong font
Omega wrong font thickness

Yada yada

https://youtu.be/QhqQV3-a9gk

jc2prJ.png

This one above has the additional flaws of the Tachy scale bring eccentricly printed. And an extra white ring inside the minute track that shouldn't be visible on the black dial versions. The case looks like cheap plastic for disposable cutlery!

Apparently there's a rep ceramic case version out there.

On the gen dial, there's supposed to be a stealthy Swatch copyright text between 6 and 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: elmonch