• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Input needed on Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch Franken

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
Hello everyone,
Just like many of the members on RWI I have been after a quality speedmaster professional moonwatch. Unfortunately, no such thing has emerged from the factories in China and given the severity of the most recent round of raids I don’t see a superrep speedmaster coming anytime soon.

So really that leaves me with two options: Go Gen or try my hand at a half decent franken. Full disclosure, I’ve never built a franken so I’m a bit of a noobie in regards to the technicalities of frankening. I most likely will be going Gen but I’d like to explore my options before I commit bc I believe the upsides of quality reps outweigh the upsides of gens (but that’s a different convo all together).

Yesterday a friend reached out who works with watches and told me he had a pristine “From Moon to Mars” dial and hands (at a reasonable price) if I was interested. So I began to wonder if the current OMF speedmaster rep case will accept Gen parts. Specifically, a Lemania 1873 movement, Gen dial and hands, Gen hesalite crystal, and Gen bezel insert.

So essentially here’s my question:
1) Will an OMF speedy rep case even accept a lemania 1873 movement (if the proper movement holder is fabricated), and all the Gen parts mentioned above?

2) For those of you who own the OMF speedy, how is the case? Is the shape completely off from the Gen? Am I just wasting my time and money by pursuing this?

Appreciate any and all input!

JL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Go gen, no reason to invest in a speedmaster rep since most of them are trash ootb, and even modding would result in nothing like another (for example) rolex franken.

I'd go gen, since the price is not that steep.

Get a gen speed and a rep Seamaster VSF if you fancy

Reactions: micksmith1987

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
Go gen, no reason to invest in a speedmaster rep since most of them are trash ootb, and even modding would result in nothing like another (for example) rolex franken.

I'd go gen, since the price is not that steep.

Get a gen speed and a rep Seamaster VSF if you fancy

I second this. Prices of gen parts don’t make it worth it

Reactions: mari115