• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The unraveling of America

jb3md

Renowned Member
11/8/19
Very well written thanks for posting

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Very well written thanks for posting

He and Rolling Stone deserve awards for this piece, it's that good.

enduser

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
29/7/20
UK
Thanks for sharing. A vacuum of real leadership in a time of crisis, mirrored also in the U.K.

Mchan4

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/1/20
That was some eye opening stuff. Thanks for the read!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
'But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. ...Voice or no voice the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country'.

Sound a familiar scenario? It's a quote from Hermann Goering's Nuremberg trial . . .

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Interesting read and thank you for sharing.

My question is, that since COVID-19 has decimated the whole world, not just the US, which country is the likely successor to the dominance of the US for the middle part of the 21st century? I don’t see China rising, as some have predicted. My money is still on capitalism as being the dominant philosophy going forward, and the US it’s greatest champion and beneficiary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Interesting read to be sure. I don't view this country and our current status with such a negative outlook. The pandemic will be in the rear view mirror soon, which I understand was not the same prognosis we had even a month ago. It definitely caught us off guard and we as a country have stumbled badly in many aspects. Now we are slowly standing back up and I maintain a positive long term outlook. Vaccines will start to enter the marketplace in the coming months, removing that stressor from the equation.

We've been on a rollercoaster ride with unemployment, although it's already improved to 8.4% as of the last jobs report, September 4th. I acknowledge there's going to be fallout for several years to come due to a number of factors, but the landscape is not as dire as it was the beginning of summer.

We are still a world power, and I don't see any countries poised to take the mantle of power from us at this time. We have a lot of improvement which we as a society need to work on, and post pandemic we need to focus on. We should take a pause as a society, reflect on who we are, how we treat our fellow countrymen, and what can we do to improve ourselves. We should ask ourselves if we are truly proud of our current trajectory and if not, what can we do to adjust it. The future is but a blank page, it is ours to write.

Reactions: DD60