• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My dream watch got hold by customs, what now?

peter4ptv

14/5/20
L. A.
Hello, I got a very good deal well below retail on a new GS SD SBGA211 Snowflake from chrono 24 and the seller shipped by the books:

<<Import taxes are not included in the listed price, all payable taxes is the buyers responsibility. Please contact your local customs office for details.
We can ship internationally by Fedex, and shipping fee is included in the listing price.
All of the purchased items will be fully insured against loss, theft and damage during its transit to ensure that your investment is safe and fully protected.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I and am fine with that, on the second day after shipping I receive from frdex to some document and completed what they need :

Recive confirmation email:
Completed: Please DocuSign: CBP Form 5106
From Fedex and I completed and signed the application.
I receive confirmation:
<
,<All parties have completed Please DocuSign: CBP Form 5106.

Thank you

Barbara A. Cathey
FedEx Trade Networks Brokerage Team>>>>>>........................................ ..................................

And I thought, I am all done and now I need to wait for the fedex to deliver.
Well this is what I received from chrono 24 today:
<<<<The delivery service has indicated that the delivery of your order has been delayed. You can find more information below.>>>>>
<<<<<Clearance delay - Import - Shipment requires importer's registration/identification number for clearance. (Examples include EIN, SSN, VAT, GST, RFC, etc.)FedEx>>>
The form fedex email me to fill and sign was:
create/update imported identity form 19 cfr 24.5

anyone familiar with situation like this?
I am not sure how the customs fees are paid I thought after filling the form from fededx I was all done and I will need only to include this purchase when I fill my taxes next year.

<< Shipment requires importer's registration/identification number>
I am not importer I just bought watch from abroad for my personal use.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:

sgt.njoy

M2M Camper
Certified
2/10/18
Illinois
You bought the watch from the seller and importing it to US, therefore you are the importer. Once the watch arrives to US main land. FedEx customs broker will file the clearance on your watch. Afterwards they will invoice you for the Duty, Tax, and customs brokerage fees. Filling out the CBP Form 5106 or providing a Power of attorney is very normal procedure :)

peter4ptv

14/5/20
L. A.
thank you, the think is i already fill the form right after shipment the fed ex send it to me, and i receive confirmation that has been receive it last Tuesday morning and the package is still hold by customs and say i need to fill some forms.

sgt.njoy

M2M Camper
Certified
2/10/18
Illinois
To me this is not being held at CBP. According to your statement FedEx is delaying on customs entry because they don't have the proper paperwork to do so.
As you mention, "clearance delay - Import - Shipment requires importer's registration/identification number for clearance. (Examples include EIN, SSN, VAT, GST, RFC, etc.)FedEx>>>

Since you already provided the CBP Form 5106 per 19 CFR 24.5 guideline you are good to go. However, they might ask you for more details of the watch such as number of jewels on the movement, type of materials for the case & straps, power type, and etc. This is called watch/clock worksheet for the broker to determine the customs duty & tax.

Anyhow, just sit tight and wait patiently. You are not illegally importing, so there is nothing wrong in customs eyes.
If you insist to find out then contact your customs broker, Barbara A. Cathey.

RobyGofman

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
25/8/20
I'm not sure what are you talking about?

Last edited by a moderator: