• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hobbies

Mchan4

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/1/20
Following watches, I recently got really big into building custom mechanical keyboards. These keyboards are some of the highest quality I've seen and nothing I knew about keyboards came close before joining the hobby. Going from the watch community to the mechanical keyboard community was crazy different. There are so many different ways you can customize your keyboard, and after being in it for about 5 months, I realize that it can almost be just as expensive as a hobby as collecting watches

Reactions: Ams55557

Watchesandwinetime

Known Member
11/3/20
Aussieland
Following watches, I recently got really big into building custom mechanical keyboards. These keyboards are some of the highest quality I've seen and nothing I knew about keyboards came close before joining the hobby. Going from the watch community to the mechanical keyboard community was crazy different. There are so many different ways you can customize your keyboard, and after being in it for about 5 months, I realize that it can almost be just as expensive as a hobby as collecting watches

Whats your favorite switch?
Personally I am in love with MX Blues, but a lot of people say they're too "clicky" I personalty prefer the more haptic feedback I get from them...

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
Snowboarding, Watchmaking, Video Games, Bracelet Crafting. I like art and music. Love to scribble and sketch. I wouldn’t call myself an artist but I do like to draw. Especially calligraphy.

I love to tinker. If I find something broke I wanna try and fIx it. That’s how I got started in watches. I’ve fixed all kinds of things. Vintage fans, old watches. TVs, cell phones, computers, sunglasses, etc.

I”m also really into brewing tea. A few months ago I spent a lot of time learning about the different kinds of tea, and the different vessels to brew them in. The clay they are made out of and stuff like that. Favorite tea currently is Ali Shan High Mountain Oolong, grown in Taiwan.

I used to watch a lot of Anime. Not so much lately. After you’ve seen a few hundred different shows, they all start to bleed together. Many times they use the same themes and tropes. It’s like they are all the same show with characters that look almost the same but with a different name.

I like to hike and take pictures out in the wilderness. I live in the country, so plenty of places to do that. One of my favorite things to do while hiking is mushroom picking. I love taking pictures, and samples of mushrooms. I examine them, smell them, look at the different characteristics.
Did you know that the same species of mushroom can grow in a different part of the world, and have a different appearance based on where it grows? It’s kind of like how people have different color skin based off of where their ancestors lived. It’s really interesting!

I’ve heard about the mechanical keyboards you guys are talking about. It interests me, but I haven’t done any research yet. Currently I’m a laptop only kinda guy. Don’t have room for a desktop, but maybe in the future.
I custom made my own fight stick once. Like to play Street Fighter with. The ones with the arcade style stick and the buttons that you mash on. It was a cool
project. Very simple.
I've also messed around a little bit with RaspberryPi to make portable emulators. Like N64 and Super Nintendo emulators. You can bring them over to a friends house plug it into HDMI and plays games. It’s pretty cool. Portable and relatively powerful.
I love learning new skills so I’m always messing around with something.

Currently I’m trying to start a bracelet business made with glass beads. They are really awesome!
There is a thread in off topic. Here’s the link

Bracelets with watches
https://forum.replica-watch.info/showthread.php?t=9293712

Also working on leveling up my watchmaking skills. Slowly increasing the tools I have at my disposal, and practicing the fundamentals. I just ordered a VR3186. I can’t wait to get it. Break it all down and put it back together!!
anyway enough about me.. probably could think of more but this post is getting long already.

mpx

I'm Pretty Popular
6/2/20
Austria
Whats your favorite switch?
Personally I am in love with MX Blues, but a lot of people say they're too "clicky" I personalty prefer the more haptic feedback I get from them...

Nice topic. I got a bit deeper into the rabbit hole some time ago and got a Tofu60 with Zealios v2 67g switches, brass plate, grey case and stuck my Penumbra Keycaps on it. The keyboard costs more than most of my reps :D
To the topic itself. I'm also quite deep into tech-stuff, so always up-do-date on computer stuff. I also enjoy photography and since a few years I'm doing some kind of sports daily, mostly cycling and running.

Mchan4

30/1/20
Nice topic. I got a bit deeper into the rabbit hole some time ago and got a Tofu60 with Zealios v2 67g switches, brass plate, grey case and stuck my Penumbra Keycaps on it. The keyboard costs more than most of my reps :D
To the topic itself. I'm also quite deep into tech-stuff, so always up-do-date on computer stuff. I also enjoy photography and since a few years I'm doing some kind of sports daily, mostly cycling and running.

Very nice photo! I used to own a tofu and it's honestly one of the greatest entry level boards out there. In terms of my favorite switch, I'm a real big fan of linears, though I hope to get into tactiles a bit more. I recently listened in on a typing test with Zealios and they may seem like a good place to start. My favorite linear switches would probably be Vintage MX blacks, gateron ink blacks, or H1's, all lubed ofc. SA penumbra looks amazing, but I cannot do high profile keycaps haha. But yeah, once u get a bit higher end with the keyboards, they can have the tendency to be pretty expensive, especially with aftermarket pricing and what not.

Reactions: mpx

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18

where do you get started?

Mchan4

30/1/20
where do you get started?

Just like any hobby, including this one, it takes a bit of digging into and asking around. Alot of research and finding what you like. The thing about the mechanical keyboard hobby is that it's a very new and rapidly growing community that is almost entirely community run, so there tends to be a lack of centralized information and what not. I'd say the best place to start would be this website: https://keyboard.university/ . It's the best resource for anyone super new to mechanical keyboards. the r/mk subreddit is another place to go if you're looking to get a start. Like RWI, keyboards also have their own dedicated forum called Geekhack, though it's a bit tough to navigate when you're super new to the hobby. You'll also find that this hobby has an overwhelming amount of customizations, price points, and possiblities you can deck your keyboard out with, and it can get crazy real fast. The market for mechanical keyboards is way more different than replica watches or even genuine watches in that nothing is ever in stock; everything is either super limited, sells out fast, or is sold through groupbuys, which you will know all about once getting into keyboards. For more info on that stuff, there are plenty of discord servers that I recommend joining as well, where there are always people that will be glad to answer any question ya got.

Reactions: Ams55557

GerRepFan

13/2/19
For me it's the following:

I've been playing tennis for more than 8 years now (tried out several other sports before that but then discovered that tennis was my favorite one out of those)

My biggest hobby though is reptile keeping and animal/nature photography (especially of my pets).

Plus I recently got into golfing and am already addicted to it (it's even worse than watch collecting lol) and use every chance to play on the course or range (if possible due to weather and my personal time).

And that's it for me besides watch collecting. However, there are quite a few other activities I like to do from time to time (like badminton, darts, pool billard etc.) but I wouldn't really consider these as hobbies.

yash7789

Horology Curious
17/8/20
United States
Building RC Planes, Art work, playing games ( lucky I got my ps5 :giggle:) and watching horror movies :taz:
Recently started to code for micro chips. It’s fun.

yash7789

Horology Curious
17/8/20
United States
For me it's the following:

I've been playing tennis for more than 8 years now (tried out several other sports before that but then discovered that tennis was my favorite one out of those)

My biggest hobby though is reptile keeping and animal/nature photography (especially of my pets).

Plus I recently got into golfing and am already addicted to it (it's even worse than watch collecting lol) and use every chance to play on the course or range (if possible due to weather and my personal time).

And that's it for me besides watch collecting. However, there are quite a few other activities I like to do from time to time (like badminton, darts, pool billard etc.) but I wouldn't really consider these as hobbies.

Interesting, I love animal/nature photography too. Please do share any recent pictures you clicked. Would love to see them. :)

UnluckyXIII

Known Member
22/8/17
Before lockdown I used to do a lot of rock climbing, kayaking, swimming, surfing and golf, haven’t really done much of them over the last year though which has really killed me.

Also enjoy photography, painting, fantasy football and gaming.

Beyond that I’m also a huge movie buff and love going to live music events.

Oh, and when I have any spare time sometimes I enjoy watches too lol!

Last edited:

Ludov666

Known Member
23/1/21
EU
As you can see by my profile it's windsurfing and kitesurfing, also a lot of enduro MTB in the nearby hills.

DocHolliday

Huckleberry Sales Mod
Advisor
11/2/15
cf29af580e12cacc81ff9c7e55b253df.jpg

I smoke a lot of brisket and pork shoulders. Neighbors like me.

Reactions: Dr Fun Socks