• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Monogram Shirts/Cuffs - Should I? If so (other questions)

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Okay so when looking through pics, I notice a lot of monogramed shirt cuffs. But more than the monogram, I notice that most of the shirts look good. That is they look like they're made of good quality material and have a nice texture.

I'm more of a jeans and tee shirt guy (most of the time) but when we come out of quarantine, I will have to start dressing more business casual and I'd like to improve the quality of my shirts. I do tend to like quality and finer things and the $50 to 100 packaged button downs dont seem to be doing it for me anymore. Help me dress better, please.

So I'd like to upgrade my dress shirt selection. Where/which brand/site to get? Also which materials do you like best?

I always considered French cuffs dressy so I'm thinking they're not my style but I'd like people who wear French cuffs to chime in.

I would like to distinguish myself slightly more without being pretentious. If I do monogram my shirts the question is what's the best font and placement?

Any other tips or comments would be appreciated.

I'm in the USA. Northeast.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
I’m partial to this guy:

https://www.ctshirts.com/us/home

Personally, I would not (and do not) monogram my shirts as it is too ostentatious for my style. But if you like the look, go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nivka

M4ttc

Known Member
17/7/17
Second Ride2live for Charles Tyrwhitt shirts
I could send you a referral code but not sure it woukd work as I am in the UK and not US

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: R2L and Hazing

farmersinsurance

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/10/19
Geneva, WA
I've used Indochino multiple times for my shirts and many are part of my daily rotation to the office. Their shirts are of good quality and can be scored for good prices if you see a sale (NYE it was 3 / $100 at one point).

As for material, my colors vary from white to slightly more white, and they have a decent selection. Some of my choices of fabrics, are halesworth crossweave, wilton check, and halesworth basketweave. However, I would NOT recommend going with their french cuffs, as they are dual layered and quite thick and noticeable.

Lastly the monogram, I say go for it! I have seen colleagues with french cuffs and monograms without being pretentious (looks, attitude is a different story). I would suggest a curly and fancy font at the tip of the french cuff

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
I love propercloth and itailor for my custom shirts. Originalstitch does a good job too.

hadamokel

11/12/17
Germany
I personally use tailorstore, a Sweden-based company that operates throughout Europe. They have a great selection of fabrics and customisation options.

I mostly wear French cuffs as it gives me the option to individualise my look even further with cufflinks.

I wouldn't monogram my shirts. In my eyes, that's a thing of the past, mostly from boarding school and collective laundry.

Reactions: R2L and Hazing

Hazing

9/5/19
A lot of recommendations. I have a question about the materials you like most. What do you get for materials? Cotton? Cotton Blends (which I cant stand usually)? Silk?

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
I like plain weave cotton, ie. Broadcloth, Oxfords, pinpoint as opposed to twill.. just a preference

Reactions: Hazing

hadamokel

11/12/17
Germany
Yep, same for me, plain weave cotton. I really like Oxfords, but the 'royal Oxford' as my previous tailor calles it, is very difficult to iron. So I take those to the dry cleaners together with my suits.
I just ordered a couple of pinpoint Oxfords and will see how it goes with those :)

I'd suggest steering clear of the 'easy-iron' or 'non-iron' fabrics, as these are treated in some way to prevent the fabric to soak up too much water while washing - hence making them easier to iron. But from my experience, they don't wear quite as comfy as a regular shirt (I get rather warm in the non-iron shirts)

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Charles tyrwhitt are nice shirts, similar to hawes and curtis. If you want the best feeling/fitting shirts i highly recommend thomas pink or eton. A bit more expensive but the feel of the tommy p’s is exceptional. Some deals to be had on ebay too, or if you have tk maxx state side they’re like 80% off rrp if they have any.

Reactions: Ty123

vibez

21/11/19
Tommy P is amazing!! The best! Tm Lewis and Charles tyrwhitt are my daily wear!! Tommy pinks for special meetings / occasions! Non-iron / easy-iron aren’t too bad to be fair! Specially here in UK weather!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Tommy P is amazing!! The best! Tm Lewis and Charles tyrwhitt are my daily wear!! Tommy pinks for special meetings / occasions! Non-iron / easy-iron aren’t too bad to be fair! Specially here in UK weather!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI
At first i thought man thats a lot for a shirt but i picked one up for about £20 on ebay and i haven’t bought anything else since. Got like 10 now haha!

vibez

21/11/19
I spent 80£ for one in store on sale on regent street!

Tk Max has loads but none that are slim fit!! Didn’t know you could get one off eBay that cheap!! Will try out next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I spent 80£ for one in store on sale on regent street!

Tk Max has loads but none that are slim fit!! Didn’t know you could get one off eBay that cheap!! Will try out next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah they're few and far between but they do have them occasionally. Worth a search on a Monday morning. I see a lot of people buying the tk maxx ones and sticking them on ebay for like £65+. Cheeky but still a good price for a nice shirt.

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
Charles trywhitt is good. Make sure you get the “non iron” version to ensure the shirts stay crisp throughout the day.

Forget about tacky monograms on cuffs. No self respecting man should have his initials stitched on his clothes.

Careful with steel cufflinks. They will scratch your watch one day. Just takes the wrong move and boom, you’ve got a ding in your steel bezel it whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hazing

Hazing

9/5/19
Good info here. A lot of it. Almost too much, it’s like reading about reps and trying to take in all he info on day one.

I think my my biggest problem is that right now I’m not wearing the most ideal size (wearing too big) and between the variation amongst brands/designers, sizes are not the same. So I think I need to sort of figure out which size to start off with.

orderingg online is tough when I’m talking about new materials and you can’t feel them. I’m very picky about materials so that kind of sucks too as it’s very limiting.

Also, the conflicting opinion between ‘no-iron’ shirts is... it’s something to take not of.

jackbrabham

Supporter
6/10/18
Good info here. A lot of it. Almost too much, it’s like reading about reps and trying to take in all he info on day one.

I think my my biggest problem is that right now I’m not wearing the most ideal size (wearing too big) and between the variation amongst brands/designers, sizes are not the same. So I think I need to sort of figure out which size to start off with.

orderingg online is tough when I’m talking about new materials and you can’t feel them. I’m very picky about materials so that kind of sucks too as it’s very limiting.

Also, the conflicting opinion between ‘no-iron’ shirts is... it’s something to take not of.

Talk to a few tailors in your area. It will be pricier but the shirts will be high quality, will fit perfectly and will last. They will be able to work with you on materials, too.

French cuffs are a little formal for me. It depends on your industry.

I find initials on the shirt feminine.