• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

OMG! What do you guys think of this?

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Any french ppl in here? Wow this is crazy..
is this real?
0b89d431aca2e779b5abf98a198e78ff.plist

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
How do they enforce this?

At the airports mostly. Especially if you are coming from a country famous for its fake market (China, Turkey, etc...). Random control, or when someone caught their attention, like wearing cheap fashion knock off when coming back from China or carrying a dozen fake watch in your luggage.

Weirdly enought, if wearing a fake watch is illegal in France, it's not in switzerland

Last edited:

Abe Fromen

Certified
10/12/15
Canada
I get customs but I travel internationally with reps on my wrist and i have never had a customs agent even look to see if I'm wearing a watch. I mean if you're importing or moving between countries with upwards of half a dozen watches, then yeah, that might raise an eyebrow. But otherwise, it's more to scare the easily scared than any real threat, IMO.

Reactions: DaleM

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
People wearing reps of gens that cost 600 000 EUR will quietly laugh looking at this.

As I understand it maximum or extensive sentences are as a rule applied to organized criminal importation of large quantities of counterfeit goods. An individual wearing fake clothing or a watch if identified at all could expect to have it seized and not likely charged, however, if charged probably a small fine would be the penalty. Personally I'm glad I don't live in France and although there are no plans to travel there if there were not taking any fakes. :)

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
I’ve seen custom officers at CDG airport destroying fake purses. Not sure about the punishment. As for watches, if you only one and wearing it and it is not too obnoxious or calling for attention, I you should be fine; especially if your watch is concealed under your sweater or coat.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Bill_C

21/10/19
North of Mexico, South of Canada
The only time I could imagine they will even notice your watch is when you have to take it off for the metal detector (assuming that is the case at France's airports). Unless it is an obvious fake and they are trained to spot one, I cannot imagine having any problems. I imagine how you dress, how you carry yourself and how nervous you are would be bigger tells than the watch itself.

That said, this is why I only buy reps of gens I can afford... a lot easier to pull off a rep of something that matches my lifestyle than an AP that is clearly outside of my budget.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
The only time I could imagine they will even notice your watch is when you have to take it off for the metal detector (assuming that is the case at France's airports). Unless it is an obvious fake and they are trained to spot one, I cannot imagine having any problems. I imagine how you dress, how you carry yourself and how nervous you are would be bigger tells than the watch itself.

That said, this is why I only buy reps of gens I can afford... a lot easier to pull off a rep of something that matches my lifestyle than an AP that is clearly outside of my budget.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That’s the reason I only wore my rosegold Yachtmaster a few times before putting it up for sale. It had a big tell. That tell was my car.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
It's true, but criminal record is a bit of an overstatement, it's called a custom infraction, meaning that it's mostly dealt in a contract way (they cut you a deal : pay that much and loose the product and you won't have any other issue)

Customs have the right to ask you for a proof of authenticity of the product, and if you can't provide one, they have the right to assume that you imported it illegally (that's the offence : the importation).

It's a little workaround the law that don't sanction the simple fact of owning a counterfeit product.

Needless to say that this is only enforced in airports, in rare occasion when you come from a country known for the counterfeit trade and if you have a suspicious amount of watches in brand new condition with you.

So you need to be aware of all of this, but for the most part, it's rarely applied.

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
The only time I could imagine they will even notice your watch is when you have to take it off for the metal detector (assuming that is the case at France's airports).
Well, metal detectors are operated by security officers, not custom officers, and they are situated at departures, not arrivals. So that shouldn't be a problem.

It's a little workaround the law that don't sanction the simple fact of owning a counterfeit product.
The law actually sanction it:
"Est puni de trois ans d'emprisonnement et de 300 000 euros d'amende le fait pour toute personne :

a) De détenir sans motif légitime, d'importer ou d'exporter des marchandises présentées sous une marque contrefaisante
https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affi...XT000006069414&idArticle=LEGIARTI000028716941
but i have never seen or heard it was enforced.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
The law actually sanction it:

I stand corrected, totally forgot about that text and also by this international forum, indeed never seen it enforced in a public record but it's mostly not in public records for that type of decisions, so hard to know.

Dubdout

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/7/19
I get customs but I travel internationally with reps on my wrist and i have never had a customs agent even look to see if I'm wearing a watch. I mean if you're importing or moving between countries with upwards of half a dozen watches, then yeah, that might raise an eyebrow. But otherwise, it's more to scare the easily scared than any real threat, IMO.

If anything, Customs in Canada would rather try and find someone not paying taxes on genuine merchandise being brought in from other countries. They couldn't care less for a rep on a wrist.

Reactions: 3king and Glaude

m800

Known Member
9/6/19
well this is clearly a racist and bigoted law.