• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Something fishy about some new members.

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
I've been a member since 2006, and have seen people come and go over the years. I've noticed an increase in new members with a lot of belligerent attitude that use translator apps (that's okay, if they don't speak English, but I put it in as part of a pattern), attack mods, members, and TD's if they don't get an answer they like, service is not fast enough, or trying to tell us how terrible RWI TD's are, and, in some posts, try to talk about buying from non-trusted dealers. Maybe, it's just me, but is it possible there is some concerted effort to attack RWI itself and garner business? I mean what the hell is going on? Some of these questions are sooo stupid, it's hard to reply helpfully, and not feel like they are transparent attempt(s) to just make thing miserable...or whatever the goal is? Okay, feel free to state, "it's just me." Perhaps it is?

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Not a conjoined effort, but just a change in the way people are using Internet and how some platforms deliver content without the need of a proper "educating" aka Reddit, back in the forum golden age, this was way less of an issue, because all forum behaved the same, now that the main place to find answer to common issues and questions is not forums anymore (in general, not related to rep in particular), that knowledge on what to expect and how to behave is not automatic anymore.

Not to mention that we are in the age of "everything at your hand right now" and some people take that for granted everywhere, almost forgetting how underground this whole rep business is, because it's so easy to find.

All rep forums are friends with each other, we share informations as we need and don't fight each other so that can't be the origin, as for any other potential origin, well, truth is, the method used wouldn't be very efficient as it's highly unlikely to turn any veteran member into a quiter because of those feedback, and it's highly unlikely to refrain new user from joining

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
I feel like some are actually repeat offenders using various methods to hide and rejoin. Might also be the younger generation and their instant gratification culture.

I agree.

I think they're funny. I just hope I don't lose it one day replying to one of them and then get... spanked.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Not a conjoined effort, but just a change in the way people are using Internet and how some platforms deliver content without the need of a proper "educating" aka Reddit, back in the forum golden age, this was way less of an issue, because all forum behaved the same, now that the main place to find answer to common issues and questions is not forums anymore (in general, not related to rep in particular), that knowledge on what to expect and how to behave is not automatic anymore.

Not to mention that we are in the age of "everything at your hand right now" and some people take that for granted everywhere, almost forgetting how underground this whole rep business is, because it's so easy to find.

All rep forums are friends with each other, we share informations as we need and don't fight each other so that can't be the origin, as for any other potential origin, well, truth is, the method used wouldn't be very efficient as it's highly unlikely to turn any veteran member into a quiter because of those feedback, and it's highly unlikely to refrain new user from joining

Forums used to be a great place to get info - on many different subjects - because they were set up and run by enthusiasts, and the people who posted were enthusiasts too. So you had conversations, discussions, tutorials etc, and many of the people who posted had great knowledge.
Forums now are no longer the same, there are too many people who have no interest in contributing - they join, ask where can I buy the best watch/car/hifi/fishing rod/phone/fake sneakers/TV/headphones etc then disappear.
These are people who've grown up on the internet, who want and expect immediate answers to their questions - dare to disagree with them, or even contradict them - and they'll accuse you of being toxic, of harassing them.
They've been conditioned by Amazon - they are always right, and everything must happen immediately.

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
Forums used to be a great place to get info - on many different subjects - because they were set up and run by enthusiasts, and the people who posted were enthusiasts too. So you had conversations, discussions, tutorials etc, and many of the people who posted had great knowledge.
Forums now are no longer the same, there are too many people who have no interest in contributing - they join, ask where can I buy the best watch/car/hifi/fishing rod/phone/fake sneakers/TV/headphones etc then disappear. These are people who've grown up on the internet, who want and expect immediate answers to their questions - dare to disagree with them, or even contradict them - and they'll accuse you of being toxic, of harassing them. They've been conditioned by Amazon - they are always right, and everything must happen immediately.

That pretty much sums it up. People join a forum and want cliff notes on getting the knowledge that's taken many of us years to acquire.

I'm usually not short for writing, but yes, that does pretty much sum it up. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: ultim8war18

Str1xt

Renowned Member
26/2/19
That pretty much sums it up.

People join a forum and want cliff notes on getting the knowledge that's taken many of us years to acquire.

There was an advert on tv as I just read your statement. It was for an app called Blinkist. Basically If you cannot be bothered to read a book fully, this app gives you the cliff notes and shazzam you have read a book in 15 minutes. It says " for people who haven't got time to read"........ says it all really

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
There was an advert on tv as I just read your statement. It was for an app called Blinkist. Basically If you cannot be bothered to read a book fully, this app gives you the cliff notes and shazzam you have read a book in 15 minutes. It says " for people who haven't got time to read"........ says it all really
Gawd...I really do give up! :eek:ff2bed:

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China

You would think they would have time living in Mom's basement.

JohnnyBe

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/1/16
I totally agree with OP,
unfortunately this was the main reason i started backing off a bit from the forums,too many noobs that either wanted to show off their frankens (like if you become elite if you own an expensive franken) or wanted all the attention from everyone,and when they got criticized they became offensive like spoil brats..

Reactions: Warrcraft