• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Problem with WhatsApp and bluetooth enabled keyboard

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
So it's been a long, long time since I've been here and as I look around, it's hard to believe that I used to know this place backward and forward. This has nothing to do with watches, but I am looking for a large group of smart, tech-savvy people to consult, so here I am. If this is completely inappropriate, I know the moderators will know what to do with me. :)

I use WhatsApp on an iPhone 11 Pro. I am lousy on the native iPhone keyboard, and a got a foldable bluetooth enabled keyboard to pair with it a year and a half ago. The keyboard was love at first sight (almost). The keys are blazing fast and it folds up to be only slightly larger than the phone itself. It revolutionized my life. Only it developed a peculiar problem when using it for WhatsApp a couple of weeks ago. I don't know whether it had any association with any updates, and I think I was using the 11 Pro for a short while before the problem started (though I would not 100% swear to it). But when I use this keyboard with WhatsApp, neither shift key works any longer. I can't make any of the characters that go with the numbers, I can't capitalize letters, and I can't type quotation marks, double quote marks, or anything else that one would normally use the shift key for. I can capitalize letters using the Caps Lock key, though I have to press it again to type the rest of the word. The odd thing is that this only happens with WhatsApp. The keyboard works fine with any other iPhone texting or emailing. And WhatsApp works fine if I use the iPhone keyboard. I have tried it with three different keyboards of the same model folding keyboard, and have also tried it with a bluetooth connected Logitech keyboard.

I contacted the company that makes the keyboards. They have no idea what the problem could be. I also contacted WhatsApp and they no solution for me. So then I hoped that an iOS update might fix the problem, but I updated last night and it's the same. Does anyone have any ideas? Please?

iltl64

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/12/18
Definitely sounds like the issue is within WhatsApp itself, so you have 2 options: some strange setting has been enabled/disabled accidentally, or an update broke it.

One thing you can try is to uninstall WhatsApp and reinstall it. Did you do that yet?

Reactions: rabl253

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19
The keyboard works fine with any other iPhone texting or emailing.

So you're saying if you use the keyboard on the same phone, with another application that is not whatsapp, it works, but if you use whatsapp specifically, you can't use the shift key right?

One thing you can try is to uninstall WhatsApp and reinstall it. Did you do that yet?

+1 to this. Ah the good old "Have you tried turning it on and off again?"

Steelfish

Hǝɐpᴉᴎƃ ꓭɐɔʞ ᗡoʍᴎ Ոᴎpǝᴙ
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
So it's been a long, long time since I've been here and as I look around, it's hard to believe that I used to know this place backward and forward. This has nothing to do with watches, but I am looking for a large group of smart, tech-savvy people to consult, so here I am. If this is completely inappropriate, I know the moderators will know what to do with me. :)

I use WhatsApp on an iPhone 11 Pro. I am lousy on the native iPhone keyboard, and a got a foldable bluetooth enabled keyboard to pair with it a year and a half ago. The keyboard was love at first sight (almost). The keys are blazing fast and it folds up to be only slightly larger than the phone itself. It revolutionized my life. Only it developed a peculiar problem when using it for WhatsApp a couple of weeks ago. I don't know whether it had any association with any updates, and I think I was using the 11 Pro for a short while before the problem started (though I would not 100% swear to it). But when I use this keyboard with WhatsApp, neither shift key works any longer. I can't make any of the characters that go with the numbers, I can't capitalize letters, and I can't type quotation marks, double quote marks, or anything else that one would normally use the shift key for. I can capitalize letters using the Caps Lock key, though I have to press it again to type the rest of the word. The odd thing is that this only happens with WhatsApp. The keyboard works fine with any other iPhone texting or emailing. And WhatsApp works fine if I use the iPhone keyboard. I have tried it with three different keyboards of the same model folding keyboard, and have also tried it with a bluetooth connected Logitech keyboard.

I contacted the company that makes the keyboards. They have no idea what the problem could be. I also contacted WhatsApp and they no solution for me. So then I hoped that an iOS update might fix the problem, but I updated last night and it's the same. Does anyone have any ideas? Please?

Mum!!!.....Now there's a welcome sight for sore eyes.....I hope life's treating you well my old friend. happy-096[1].gif

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Mummy! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

So good to hear from you. Two doctors can't fix a keyboard issue? :p
Glaude Meet AHW, you any good with the horrors of WhatsApp on OS11 mate?

Reactions: itgoes211

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Mummy! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

So good to hear from you. Two doctors can't fix a keyboard issue? :p
Glaude Meet AHW, you any good with the horrors of WhatsApp on OS11 mate?

I can certainly provide some guidance for an Advisor :)

ahw676 send me a PM and we will try to work that out :)