• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why buy reps? (Serious question)

makeherdance

Known Member
28/11/18
I buy reps in an attempt to trick people into believing that I have money that I don't.

To be honest, I also do this.

I could lie to myself and to you that I‘m only fascinated by replicas - but it‘s not true.

Reactions: stufuse

m800

Known Member
9/6/19
If you are so smart then you buy a real rolex.. rolex always holds its value, and mutch higher. It is a good investment, 2012 you could buy a hulk for 7.500 usd, 2019 its 15-18.000 usd.. that is a smart investment ;) Replicas is worthless.. you throw your money in the lake, but i love replicas too, but if i could i whould buy a real rolex or Patek or whatever watch i like because its a good investment

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

Risk always travels with reward. I have my fair share of R factory watches, but to assume that they will continue to appreciate with no risk of a pullback is crazy, The entire "investment" value of an R factory watch is controlled by a single, non-transparent company. You can make a $9k "investment" in a Sub and hope it appreciates faster than an investment in the market, or you can spend $500 on a badass rep, and know that its never going to be worth more, but also know you'll never lose more than $500 on it.

shr3y

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/8/14
Because I made my money being conservative with my spending and investing correctly. I can afford a Rolex if I want but following my philosophy I’d consider that a stupid investment. That’s why I am perfectly ok with a $400 rep and flexing it like it’s real. My life plays the part of the lifestyle that I can afford it so no one would even question it.

2nd this. Could not have put it better myself.

Sent from the RWI App

LoveDonkey

Horology Curious
19/12/19
Upstate South Carolina
Man I'm so broke that I can't even pay attention, there's no way I could afford gen. Hell, I can barely spend the couple hundred $ on a rep. This is a new hobby for me though and it's about more than just the watch. I like a good hustle. I'm not trying to fool anybody, I just like the rush of doing something I'm not supposed to. :pirates: Plus, I see a lot of my own personality traits and views in a lot of the posts on this forum.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Man I'm so broke that I can't even pay attention, there's no way I could afford gen. Hell, I can barely spend the couple hundred $ on a rep. This is a new hobby for me though and it's about more than just the watch. I like a good hustle. I'm not trying to fool anybody, I just like the rush of doing something I'm not supposed to. :pirates: Plus, I see a lot of my own personality traits and views in a lot of the posts on this forum.

With no money it’s not going to be much of a hobby. don’t debt yourself for fake watches man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: p0pperini

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
I got into rep watches because of the overall experience, I feel more attached to a watch I spent time collecting parts for and "built" (I usually prefer sending it to a professional to assemble since I'm terrible at it) rather than one I went and bought in less than 5 minutes. Along the way, I also found out that it's a great way to bond with my nephew who loves checking out the new parts and enjoys hearing about how the watches work.

xartan brought up a very good point as well, I definitely can't afford a 100k rose gold Patek Nautilus and it doesn't make sense financially to learn how to service a Breitling B17 (2824-2) or a Rolex 3135 by using the real movements hence why I use the rep for learning purpose and send over the genuine I want fitted in my Franken to Domi.

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
I dunno stu, while I agree it's not as fun as my usual hobby, at least I'll have a cool watch. After a night of hookers and blow I don't have shit to show for it.

Hahahahaha

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I think my rep buying motivation is driven by:
1. Being a collector. If I could afford to, I’d have a big collection of gens - but I can’t afford a big collection of the brands I like most.
2. Being obsessive. When I get interested in something, it gets a bit out of hand...
3. Being a keen hobbyist. I like building things, making things and breaking things. And I like the gadgets and tools too!
4. Being an artist. My background in art and photography helps me appreciate the beauty of these little jewel-like objects.
5. Being here. I found the rep forums before I started collecting them. And I like the community!

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Because it’s so much fun and gives you A LOT of value for money.
A gen PP nautilus or aquanaut for example are such style icons but waaayyy to expensive for 95% of population.
Thank you rep world :))

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Hagus

Known Member
Patron
Certified
31/5/13
York uk
Yeah value for money, I can spend a few hundred on a rep without having to consider the purchase too much, if it was a few thousand I’d really have to soul search about whether it was sensible, it’s just more fun this way! So I can have a dozen different watches to suit my mood occasion and outfit, plus I like to feel I’m cheating the system a bit ????

komali_2

Because I can buy waaaay cooler stuff that's actually worth the 5-20 thousand unlike a watch. That price range encompasses every Motorcycle I could ever possibly want, or a collection of a bike for every occasion (cornering, cruising, off-road). It also encompasses a couple months of jobless runway, more if I'm back in Taiwan. Or it's some wild ass vacations, or an investment, or an educational experience, or a gift for a friend in need...

At high prices a watch just doesn't really make sense. When I really need accurate timekeeping and functionality I throw on my Casio mudmaster. Casio managed to stick everything I could possibly need into a 600$ watch, about 200$ more than some of the best reps of watches that even as Gen have less complications and lower accuracy than the best quartz Casio offers. And, it lights up at night lol. Literally automatics are worthless to me during my hobbies and volunteer work.

Also I'm an anti-capitalist anticopyright communist piece of shit haha. If Rolex suffers because I'm wearing a rep all the better. My job means I mingle with people that unironically wear >100k pieces and they're all great examples of classist human garbage that I will eat at the first whisper of revolution ;)

Urag07

13/1/20
UK
I have just gotten into reps, reason being is i cant afford gen lol.

M4STERBATUR

28/12/19
To wear rep as daily and a gen to certain places that NEEDS to be worn.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

waterproofpt

7/4/13
BC Canada
Points already mentioned, but for me .....

- a test run in case I am thinking of buying the Gen. (Polar Explorer .... turned out I decided I wouldn’t go for the gen). Nice watch though.

- can’t afford the ones I want (grail) pieces. (Early 1675 and 1680 red) Prices gone thru the roof.

- wear it (16610) as a ‘beater’ cuz I don’t want to damage a gen (GMT or SD) in certain situations.

Reactions: leo6929

waterproofpt

7/4/13
BC Canada
Here’s a reason to buy reps.
This gen on sale now for $139,000USD.

28fa6e104be680a944a47a53b10723a3.jpg

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
I am a mid level civil servant with 2.4 children to support. We have a comfortable middle class life, but I could never justify (or even afford) the £1000s needed to have a gen collection of the pieces I want.

So simply, reps allow me to pretend that I am can. I don't shout out about the fact that they are replicas. My wife and children know, my mum knows, 1 colleague who is also into reps knows, but nobody else

Reactions: museguy

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
Ou are all right folks, good reasons for reps. I do have reps and gens as well. You know what? I dont wear any of them ! My gens are now too valuable to be scratched or stolen, Im wearing them few times a year at home. And I am not wearing the reps outside my house because it gives me a bad feeling. Like a scammer. Pretending to be rich or so. So it comes, that I like my gens and reps and andmire them, clean them, take them out of the drawer, but i am wearing a nice but chap skagen, for years now.

Reactions: Ruj.

Madseason

Horology Curious
24/6/20
I'm getting into reps as realistically I could only really afford 2 or 3 high end gens in my lifetime and would require saving. I don't care about looking wealthy or any of that nonsense or pretending the rep is a gen. It's purely that I like the look of something. So if I can get something that looks almost identical at least to my novice eyes for a fraction of the price then I will. £300 to £600 watches are still a lot of money to me. This forum especially, have opened doors. Never in my lifetime could I get anywhere near a real Paul Newman Daytona but now I can almost experience it.