• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why buy reps? (Serious question)

acidrain33

Known Member
16/7/20
Tbh, I do have the funds to purchase some of my favorites in gen. But still, favorites not grails. So I put my interest in reps. In same amount of money I can get my hands on more watches than buying gens ever could. And at the end of the days, I don't think I really have a list of must-have gens to buy. Guess I simply love to play with different watches. Financially speaking, my funds can cycle a lot faster with reps.

daniel8888

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/7/11
I have gens and reps, most beneficial for me is, i csn wear the rep as daily beater, not worrying about scratches, go on vacation not worrying about thief's etc etc.
i have a gen hulk in save which i wear occasionally and the rep hulk as a daily lolz.
additionaly reps those days are scary good.

Reactions: watchoself

Hman12

Known Member
11/4/21
I would love to own gens, if I had the chance I would buy one without a doubt.
I just don't have the spare money to go towards a gen watch - although I think I will buy one eventually, I would love to pass on something to my potential future children

Hypes

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/5/16
Same reason as most really - to save money! Especially when it comes to rep clothes. Much rather spend $20 on a t-shirt rather than $200.

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Because wearing my gen 6240 daytona the way i wear my franken 6263 would be criminal lol.

There is also no way i would buy a gen patek with a crappy 324sc movement with no hacking seconds and shit design. That being said i recently took order of a 5212 weekly calendar from my AD and tbh its very underwhelming, chucked it in my safe and probably gonna sell it in a bit.

Most stuff is worth buying in gen though, lange, journe, noaya hida etc etc.

Watch fanatic

8/8/14
I’ll never be able to buy a gen Nautilus, so rep is the only way I can enjoy the shape and design of one on my wrist!

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Started out as buying watches I couldn’t afford. Once I was able to afford some nice gens, got some of those that I wanted. Left the whole rep community for few years.

I got really bored of just wearing watches and not modding them or building them.

Nothing beats the feeling of completely tearing down a watch, movement, putting them back together, and watching it start running. The anxiety leading up to that movement and you’re either pissed when it doesn’t run or you’re happy when it does.

Idk. It’s hard to explain. I’ve always been in to watches and engineering. So maybe it’s different for everyone else. But that is the reason why I got back in to reps. It’s just a cheaper way to learn about them. Esp now days when most are built to gen specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: leo6929

weezkid

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
12/1/21
Lane Cove
It's a hobby just like any other thing thar you enjoy getting into, exploring, choosing a part of it that you wish to get good at, knowing which pieces give you the pleasure. I dare say some reps give more pleasure than some gens I own.

Buying gen pieces for me is to commemorate certain special occasions, overseas travels and for my loved ones.

At the end of the day, enjoy the journey!

goldenring

Horology Curious
5/7/20
Germany
It's a hobby just like any other thing thar you enjoy getting into, exploring, choosing a part of it that you wish to get good at, knowing which pieces give you the pleasure. I dare say some reps give more pleasure than some gens I own!
That's true...I actually was curious to find out the difference between a " crappy fake watch" and a replica as good as it can be. What many people tend to forget is that some of these watches have a way better quality than many "gen" watches you can buy around the same price segment.

Rosstopher

16/7/20
UK
Replicas have become so good, that it feels silly to spend £xx,xxx on one watch, when I can buy multiple for around a tenth of the price. Appreciate a genuine can be seen as an investment, but I don't think the better half would be happy with a new watch just sitting there, as I'd be too worried to wear it and damage it.
​​

Reactions: mech500