• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why buy reps? (Serious question)

Ruj.

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/2/14
Europe
Can think of a lot of reasons but mine is to find out if I really like the watch or not.
I have spent to much money on watches I really wanted to have and when I did, I never wore them.
A rep gives me the opportunaty to check it out without going bankrupt.
But over the years I noticed I like them all and wear them all, wich I shouldn’t have done if they were real (swapped one for a gen and again, never wore it again).
how about you guys? Why a rep?

ps, can the header be editted? Wanted to write Why” instead of Wht”

Last edited:

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
Why choose a rep?

Hmmm. Even though I can afford a Gen, I want to have the so called test run hahaha.

If it will looks good on my wrist etc etc.

Besides if my eyes can see that it's a NWBIG, then I'll go for that rep. I'm not into status symbol and bragging around that my watch is Gen, it's just that....It feels good having to have a watch in a fraction of the price of the Gen one. =D

Talk about hitting two birds with one stone =)

Reactions: museguy

Horology Curious
12/8/19
Hi, That´s exactly the point!

I did buy numerous gens and had sleepless nights after I noticed the first scratches on these: OMG, lost some 1k on this piece again!

Another good reason to wear a rep is that nowadays you will have to pay double retail for some gens, or you wait for the rest of your time if you intend to buy in a store directly. Over the last year I received only laughters when I asked for some popular steel models in the range of 10-15k$. This kind of arrogance can´t be topped anymore.

I do not want to be ripped off by that kind of business any longer.

After buying the first reps I noticed that there´s a big smile on my face when I put the piece on my wrist in the morning... which did replace wrinkles of concerns when wearing gens.

Last edited:

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
if you choose wisely, some of the reps are clearly very good, and if kept in good condition, can be flipped at very little loss.
same can not be said for most gens.
you can easily spend 5000.00 on a gen breitling, and after 12months, if you decide to move it on, you will be lucky to see 3000-3500.
I agree a gen is nice to have, but if you get bored with watches, and like to change, you will in most cases loose thousands over a few changes.
but you must choose your rep wisely.
there are definitely reps that are always in demand as against some that are more niche.
a clever rep enthusiast can change his watches regularly, and loose very small amounts, whilst enjoying a variety of makes and styles.

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Hi, That´s exactly the point!

I did buy numerous gens and had sleepless nights after I noticed the first scratches on these: OMG, lost some 1k on this piece again!

Another good reason to wear a rep is that nowadays you will have to pay double retail for some gens, or you wait for the rest of your time if you intend to buy in a store directly. Over the last year I received only laughters when I asked for some popular steel models in the range of 10-15k$. This kind of arrogance can´t be topped anymore.

I do not want to be ripped off by that kind of business any longer.

After buying the first reps I noticed that there´s a big smile on my face when I put the piece on my wrist in the morning... which did replace wrinkles of concerns when wearing gens.

That's the important thing. If it makes you smile go for it =)

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
if you choose wisely, some of the reps are clearly very good, and if kept in good condition, can be flipped at very little loss.
same can not be said for most gens.
you can easily spend 5000.00 on a gen breitling, and after 12months, if you decide to move it on, you will be lucky to see 3000-3500.
I agree a gen is nice to have, but if you get bored with watches, and like to change, you will in most cases loose thousands over a few changes.
but you must choose your rep wisely.
there are definitely reps that are always in demand as against some that are more niche.
a clever rep enthusiast can change his watches regularly, and loose very small amounts, whilst enjoying a variety of makes and styles.

That's a good point =)

Snowwhite007

Horology Curious
20/7/19
Simple for me. After years of buying Gen the fact that I can have maybe 4 great reaps for the price of a Gen made it a no brainier. I was clueless that such good reps existed until I met a fellow member of the Reddit and he was upfront straight away that his Tudor was a rep and I was blown away. So from that day it was easy decision

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
Had gens, but always wanted Breitlings... I Baught 2 Gen Breitlings, one is my every day beater still, the other my day off watch. I was wearing it so much, I wore out the band. I love watches, but didn't want to spend everything on watches. I was looking at some ripoff site and spent about $1000 on junk until I found RWI. Found good quality reps. Yay, I can save my gen from over use and have lots of nice watches. Spending the money I save on vacations.

Last edited:

PurePete

21/8/19
Aust
For me it's simple. I enjoy being able to make a choice as to what watch I want to wear that day.

I own gens as well and they're great and I could buy a Gen Rolex but then there's that wait list... I loath the idea of having to wait for up to 2 years for a 15k watch!
Is the wait list even real???? And I wont by a "Like new" current model at an inflated price...
How is it possible that there's a wait list and yet you can easily find a brand new one at an inflated price? Someone somewhere is making a killing!

How about semi vintage? Tempting but finding an unmolested watch is difficult and again the prices are through the roof.

A good rep will most likely never be spotted on your wrist but I would never wear one in an AD.

Meanwhile people that wear gens are constantly being asked if that's a rep ;)

owk

5/10/18
Well first thing is I can't afford a gen. watch yet. The rep makers do a very good job and I love their work. Quality is there and once I got the money I'll buy a gen Rolex watch! :D

gnoelkered

Known Member
4/6/19
A watch is a watch is a watch. I buy reps because I like to have choices. I don't show my reps off though. It's just for me although occasionally someone notices them and I'll just acknowledge their realization.

Daddyof3

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
22/3/19
as odd as it sounds i buya replica of every gen i own, id rather keep the gen ina safe for my kids and wear the rep

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I buy reps because they’re relatively cheap, look pretty good these days and its fun to take them apart. Probably wouldnt have the balls to open up a gen if problems arose and its strangely satisfying making a load of tiny gears work again. Plus i dont have the 7 figures needed to make my rep collection gen!

Reactions: p0pperini

Lenny G

Horology Curious
25/9/19
Zwei Fliegen mit einer Klatsche (German :) )

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk
Haha nice.

Ok why buy reps? To me it feels like hunting or fishing in some ways. I admire and desire certain watches and to be able to get these for an amazing deal gives me a kick. It's more the process that is exciting. Doing all the research, finding out which factory does what, which td to go with, the best way to ship etc etc. It's all so much more exciting then just walking into a store with a bag of money.

Catching your own quality fish from a beautiful river vs walking into a store that's way more expensive.????????

Sent from my CPH1901 using Tapatalk