• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Philips Hue - what the f**k shall I do with it?

JL91

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
20/5/19
Birmingham, UK
Made the investment on some smart bulbs with Philips, set up in my front room, living room and bedroom for a very basic one-bulb-per-room setup. Any ideas for how best to utilise it before I go spending a whole paycheck on more bulbs?

Reactions: leo6929

BenjaminButton

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/8/14
Made the investment on some smart bulbs with Philips, set up in my front room, living room and bedroom for a very basic one-bulb-per-room setup. Any ideas for how best to utilise it before I go spending a whole paycheck on more bulbs?

Well call me old fashioned but how’s about you turn them on when you want there to be light and, yes wait for it, turn ‘em off when you want, yes you guessed it, darkness. I think those are the basics of that new fangled thing called a light bulb.

Reactions: bc1221 and leo6929

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
2/5/16
I also was about to take the plunge yesterday with some offers on Amazon, but I'm also wondering what can be done, besides telling Alexa to turn the light on and off

BenjaminButton

14/8/14
Ok, I guess given I have a few then I’ll expand on my facetious ‘it’s a feckin light bulb’ reply.

You can use location services to turn them on when you arrive home and off when you leave. You can use presets to turn the bulbs on and off when you’re away from home to deter burglars and if they are the colour changing bulbs you can set ‘moods’ and ask Alexa to change the mood in the room and go for a red bordello look when you want some hanky panky. FYI I only use the away mode and other than that simply enjoy shouting at Alexa, repeatedly, to turn the feckin lights off... normally I’m standing by the light switch... oh the pointlessness of it all. Good luck.

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
2/5/16
Ok, I guess given I have a few then I’ll expand on my facetious ‘it’s a feckin light bulb’ reply.

You can use location services to turn them on when you arrive home and off when you leave. You can use presets to turn the bulbs on and off when you’re away from home to deter burglars and if they are the colour changing bulbs you can set ‘moods’ and ask Alexa to change the mood in the room and go for a red bordello look when you want some hanky panky. FYI I only use the away mode and other than that simply enjoy shouting at Alexa, repeatedly, to turn the feckin lights off... normally I’m standing by the light switch... oh the pointlessness of it all. Good luck.

Well, thanks. This was actually helpful. Got one or two ideas going on... :rolleyes:

air_supplies

Horology Curious
3/2/17
i really enjoy the "sunlight" feature, light gradually gets stronger to help you wake up in the morning.

BenjaminButton

14/8/14
i really enjoy the "sunlight" feature, light gradually gets stronger to help you wake up in the morning.

I have news, scientists have just reported that each morning the sun gradually rises in the sky and the light get stronger... it’s like nature is copying those clever Philips people. ????

yongsum

Supporter
Patron
Certified
3/6/19
I for one have learned tons. Without Alexa I've actually bumped into things a few times when it was dark, and inversely, not been able to sleep when the lights were on all night.
What I really wonder is, where does Alexa go when she's not answering and, I assume, taking a break.

Moadib

Known Member
18/7/19
UK
Agree, the sunrise and sunset features are good. I have lights set to change to more orange colour as the sun sets, and then to wake me up in the morning with lights gradually turning on. Actually works really well. Not sure it's worth the cost of the system, but....pretty good