• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hello, Again, Hello...

BigOffshoreDaddy

OG RWI - The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Patron
Certified
26/3/06
The Republic of Texas
Howdy everyone!

It's been awhile since I've been on so I figured that I'd drop a few lines and catch up. Seeing as it isn't entirely about watches, figured this was as good a place as any! Anyway...

First things first: I had a great visit today with Mr. & Mrs. xj4sonx here in Las Vegas. Mrs. X is the exact polar opposite of Mr. X...charming, funny, and just great to be around with. Jason, on the other hand, is an asshole...but he's my kind of asshole. LOL Seriously, we had a great mini-GTG that lasted almost 5 hours. If you're anybody on here - staff, mods, or n'er-do-wells - chances are we talked about you. Tucker, tripdog, yodog, and trailboss99 ...y'all's ears were on fire! HA! Seriously, it was all good and just had a great time talking about the many people who make RWI home. Shame that Mrs. BOD couldn't make it, but there's always next time.

Secondly, it was brought to my attention that my absence has been noted as of late. I can explain...

A few years ago, I started having memory issues. Not bad mind you, but it was a little different than I'm used to, and I chalked it up to getting older. Then it happened more and more frequently. And so to the point that the wife really took notice. And friends. And colleagues. So about a year ago or so ago I went to the doctors to see what was up...that means my wife made me go. Long story short, I have what's known as vascular dementia.

It's not as bad as it could be, and I'm very lucky and thankful for that. Some of the causes were that I've taken some dings to the head playing sports, combat...you know, the normal stuff. One of those dings caused a mini-stroke that went undiagnosed. I smoked for years. I was morbidly obese for about 10 years, and with Type 2 diabetes. That and the fact that I had borderline HBP along with statin use, it pretty much caused the perfect storm so to speak. Having weight loss surgery cured a goodly portion of it. So did quitting smoking, eating better, etc. etc. But still.

Like I said, I'm not that bad off. Ask me what me and my best friend did 30 plus years ago, and I'll tell you every detail. Ask me what I had for dinner a week ago, and I'd be hard pressed to remember. I could go on and on, but you get it. Trust me, I am not bad off. But certain things escape me like watch knowledge, or things in my professional life I knew verbatim, or something simple as having to refresh my memory on a recipe that I've made for years. It sucks, but it's manageable. My life is centered on games to sharpen the memory I have, which is still a lot. My speech is affected some, but not enough to really notice...unless I haven't eaten for a bit and I get hypoglycemic. Lots of lists, lots of calendar reminders on my phone, and lots of love and understanding from friends and Mrs. BOD.

But yeah, that's kind of what I've been doing the last several months. Just trying to get my mind right, so to speak. I don't want pity or any of that stuff...save it for somebody who needs it. I'm good knowing that if I forget something, somebody here will refresh my memory. LOL

I'll be on here a little bit more often than usual, but for those who care, that's what's been going on. Anyway, I keep up from time to time, here and it's good to see some new faces as well as old ones. Beyond that, that's about it. In the meantime, if you're ever in Las Vegas, please reach out and say hi. If I have the time, I'll be happy to pick you up or take you to the airport, or spend 5 hours in a hotel bar talking watches and stuff...because that's the kind of people me and Mrs. BOD are.

Anyway, thanks for listening. So, refresh my memory...who has the best Sub? :D

Last edited:

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
It was really cool getting to put a face to a name. The conversation was outstanding ranging from cooking to watches to old school RWI

Sent from my Noob v9.5

Reactions: BigOffshoreDaddy

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Really sorry to hear this mate. I'm rooting for the best possible outcome for you mate.

Folks, BOD won't want me to go into details but this place would not be here if it wasn't for him.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself in Vegas!

I'm always here for you BigOffshoreDaddy No fun getting older. I'll be keeping you in my prayers. Thanks for letting us know. We worry about our good friends.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
BigOffshoreDaddy what can I say? We are here for you :). I am a relative newcomer so I do not have the length of memory you have of RWI. But anytime you want to chat it would be surely my pleasure.

BigOffshoreDaddy

OG RWI - The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Patron
Certified
26/3/06
The Republic of Texas
Guys, guys, guys...I'm still here! I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon!

As Jason and Mrs. X can attest, I have a photographic memory...just sometimes there isn't film in the camera. HA!

In all seriousness, I've been on a path forward that is taking into consideration what's already happened and how to keep it from progressing further. Along with regular testing, proper diet, etc. etc., I should be like any other forgetful middle aged man. It's not Alzheimer's or a death sentence!

One thing I do know: Your support is why this is my home. Hearing yesterday what was said about me, I'm humbled and honored beyond measure.

Anyway, enough of that. Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: WATCH HACKER

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
BigOffshoreDaddy Hello Sir, I'm glad that you're okay. Don't worry God will never let you down. My grandfather has the same health issue before and he's still with us. He's turning 97 tomorrow, what a unbelievable coincidence it is. Just saw your post, same concern, birthday of my granpa tomorrow etc etc. For sure you'll be reaching the age ofmy grandpa so stay healthy please =)

I'll be including you in my prayers. Cheers to you!

XpanzerX

I'm Pretty Popular
19/8/17
I’m a newbie as well, but do enjoy reading BODs threads mainly the brig ones. But the sales posts in third person are awesome as well. Keep on keepin on brother. I just kicked cancers ass so I know the health struggle and it can be a pain in the ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
BigOffshoreDaddy Welcome back, you have been missed. Does it really matter what we had for lunch last week? Nope, some things are not to be remembered anyway. As long as we can remember our name, rank and serial number, as long as we can remember our friends and family, how to eat, drink, piss and fuck - well that's all we can really ask for.
keep the faith brother and rest assured we support you here !

SUBKILLER

Renowned Member
30/7/16
Im a fan of yours. Hope all is good and will be better. I know what you mean about this community. Im at the age where my parents are on their final years. Two kids becoming teenagers and my 7 yr old is autistic. Life can be hectic sometimes. When I need to take a break from it all. I just go to this forum and it always put a smile on my face. Thanks to members like you it get me through some rough ass days. Glad to see you back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jai04

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
BigOffshoreDaddy this might be a late post as I just got back to the rep game again. Just want to let you know that I really enjoy reading your posts ever since. And thank you for letting us know. Be sure to keep your mind busy with those brain exercises and also with some physical exercises to keep those blood flowing. We're here for support. Cheers mate