• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch Winder or Not

pfargo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/1/19
If you own many reps, what is best? Wind them and set them when you want to wear them, or use a watch winder. Any suggestions on what is better for the watch?

Kentman

Known Member
5/5/16
I would be interested to hear people's opinions on this. I have been in two minds recently as to whether or not I actually NEED a watch winder, or is it just another superfluous accessory?

Carbonara

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/19
Old Blighty
I bought a watch wonder many years ago. Very glad I did. Still in daily use. Has room for 5 watches on display at the top too.

(Unfortunately, since discovering this forum, it’s now too small!)

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: 3king and DaleM

Carbonara

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/19
Old Blighty
I might add, that mine is a ‘Dulwich’, which is exceptionally quiet, and therefore no ‘intrusion’.

I had an auto Tag Chronograph (gen) in there for several months, which, as I’m told there’s about 450 parts (?) it’s important to keep it going, which the the winder did.

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Search this forum. I have a 9 watch winder and love it. Some say the winding will wear down parts.. using a winder is the one time I would recommend scheduled maintenance on watches.

I heard it said, would you keep your car running all the time? Nope but I sure want my electric power plant or refrigerator running all the time.

The winder when you match the settings to the movement does not wind the the mainspring fully and the winder rests to prevent overwinding.

Do what you want, just know the proper settings and direction of winding and you will enjoy it. Plus looks nice.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
I don't use a winder and here's why .. Mechanical watches wear out, parts need to be serviced and/or replaced. Putting your watch on a winder only speeds up that process. If my watch is running, I want it on my wrist. I also like setting the time to the atomic clock when I am wearing a watch and see how accurate it is over the course of a couple of days or longer. But, there really is no "right answer" here ..

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I fall into the anti-watch wonder camp. Part of it is the overworking of parts and the additional stress on the movement. Another is that I do find it to be a superfluous accessory and an impractical use of space. Lastly, I enjoy the ritual of picking my watch for the day, inspecting it, setting the time and attacking the day.

But if I had the discipline to keep my collection down to 5 or 6, I might be persuaded differently ...

stampsatit

15/3/16
I never use watch wider before but when I watch marvel dr. strange movie. now I want one

Reactions: C Master

moneysaver

3/7/18
I fall into the anti-watch wonder camp. Part of it is the overworking of parts and the additional stress on the movement. Another is that I do find it to be a superfluous accessory and an impractical use of space. Lastly, I enjoy the ritual of picking my watch for the day, inspecting it, setting the time and attacking the day.

But if I had the discipline to keep my collection down to 5 or 6, I might be persuaded differently ...

How much in collections do you have? Just curious. For both gen and rep.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

pfargo

25/1/19
I sort of decided on using winders. I have 8 reps. I weigh the setting versus the running aspects. Since many of the reps have lower end movements, I think letting them run out, then winding and setting is probably a toss up versus keeping it running. Also, I like just putting it on and done with it.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
How much in collections do you have? Just curious. For both gen and rep.

I'm between 60-70 at the moment. About a dozen to fifteen are gens/microbrands with the rest reps. I've actually commissioned a local luthier to make me a custom watch box for 80. We'll see what he and his team come up with ...

moneysaver

3/7/18
I'm between 60-70 at the moment. About a dozen to fifteen are gens/microbrands with the rest reps. I've actually commissioned a local luthier to make me a custom watch box for 80. We'll see what he and his team come up with ...
Holy smokes. That's a lot. Do you mind dm'ing me pics of your box?!

Carbonara

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/19
Old Blighty
Just stumbled across this:
https://youtu.be/at_Yrm0iDn8

Think I’ll be using my watch winder a bit more sparingly. Maybe for keeping something going for a couple of days between use, but not longer term.
Had my pam505 in it for two weeks and it stayed perfectly on time, just been absent for a further week and returned to find it nearly an hour out, even though on the alleged ideal setting for it, had it on my wrist now for over 24hrs, and it’s ‘second’ perfect, so concerned that the winder isn’t ideal longer term for it.

After all, winding and setting the time of a watch, and then observing its accuracy after a couple of days is all part of the endearing aspect of having a collection. A ‘bonding moment’ with that watch for that period, so to speak.

Chubs

4/4/19
Washington State
I love my winder, wouldn’t go back to not using one. Just do a google search and find the correct settings for your watch. It is so much more convenient to switch out watches when they are ready to go.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
For the ones in rotation, yes. I have a two watch winder and I typically keep 3-5 watches in rotation. Puts less stress on the movement then me manually winding and setting them frequently.

ScousePete

15/4/18
I'm looking at a moon-phase. Once I get it I will probably break down and get a winder.

Hoosier Watch Guy

29/3/20
Man, not sure there is a right answer to this.
I have a 2 position watch winder from Chiyoda. (Benn happy with it) Single carousel, 2 spots. I keep 2 most worn in my collection on there and the other 8 in a box. I agree with other poster, you need to keep up with maintenance more if doing this. And even though a convenience, it prob does wear watches out faster.