• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My wife got threatened on Ebay!?

Dusk

I'm Pretty Popular
9/5/14
Gulf Coast of Florida
So my wife has a small Ebay store and sells all sorts of small items including a light up bluetooth speaker (none of these have sold and she only has one in hand with 5 offered)

she bought it from a budget store in the USA and added a mark up and listed weeks ago. So she gets a message from a Chinese company threatening her with intellectual property infringement and all sorts of stuff.

she replied back to the effect "I'm re-selling YOUR product numb nuts" and she's waiting for a response.

forgetting the irony of a shitty Chinese electronics company threatening a very tiny Ebay seller for selling their own product for a second but is this a sign of things to come with trade sanctions on the whole?

here's what she woke up to

Reactions: KSwatches

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
So, did you remove the items?

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
I bet eBay would have done nothing what so ever if you were reported by 300 people for selling a fake Rolex for £5000! It’s crazy. Hope it works out tho

Reactions: Dusk

Hans81

23/2/15
Relax, the email does not sound like a threat and I would just ignore it.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Relax, the email does not sound like a threat and I would just ignore it.

It sounds like a threat of legal action to me.

Dusk Either the ones your wife is selling are counterfeit or they're expecting your wife to pay them some sort of 'Authorized Dealer's fee - a resellers licence fee.

vicad

Renowned Member
14/6/15
A product manufacturer has indeed the right to restrict selling its product by someone unauthorized.

They say that its 'their intellectual property', could you check what the paper says ?

IP rights are territorial. If their products design/patent/etc is registered in China (for example), they have nothing to enforce in the US against you as long as your wife restrict her listing to China/asian countries ;)

Dusk

I'm Pretty Popular
9/5/14
Gulf Coast of Florida
The patent attached is in Chinese but it appears to relate to that design for sure. She's sold phone grips in the past and had them removed for using trade names by Ebay but this is a message from a random 0 feedback account. I'll see what their reply is. I mean she hasn't sold any so no biggie to take them off. I'll update as things unfold

mrxciter

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/8/17
i have had this before and eBay removed a lot of my listings and said i could be banned if i infringed again