• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Making my own watch - movement input/general advice?

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
41r5wqn-7hL.jpg

Hey guys, I'm making a watch from scratch. For right now I've designed the model in CAD and am have 3 copies made at a local 3d printer. I'm picking them up tomorrow. the inner dimensions (useable space) of the case are approx 36mm x 30 and 15 mm tall.

I have a unique case design and for now I need to decide on my movement. I want there to be a gear you can see moving through the dial, will probably just have a cutout so u can see a cog moving along. I want either a chrono with date or at least a date and power reserve. I'm not too picky right now at cost. Right now I really like this japanese movement https://goo.gl/URCJ6i -- apparently its roughly +/- 25 seconds a day. Not the best but I'm not mad at it

My watches are going to be expensive to make but they'll be very high quality. I'm just making a protoype for now and possibly doing a kickstarter once I get some feedback.

I can keep you guys posted.

For right now I really want to zero in on the movement I'll be using. Any advice on re-selling is appreciated. I'm not sure right now if Seiko wil sue me for using that linked movement. I'm not a watchmaker so any input from you guys would be appreciated.

They'll be relatively expensive but a lot of fun to look at. Also I'm only planning on making a few to start. I don't imagine I'l ever mass produce any of these. I plan on having everything made in the USA (except movement) --- I have reached out to detroit watch co but i think even they get their movements imported.

I don't want to go quartz or cheap. The whole purpose of these is something unique, durable and high quality.

movement want list:
chrono or at least date.
how can I reveal a cog in action (has to be moving fast enough to watch)
ANY issues with my current 36x30x15 useable space? (I have some wiggle room)
any issues with buying movements from star time and selling?

Thanks

JohnnyBe

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/1/16
This is such a nice project.
Although i m not a fan of cutout dials to see the movement, i d much prefer an open caseback rather than a cut out dial..To me personally it feels cheap ( even with the multi thousand dollas APs etc...)

Looking forward seeing this project coming to life.

Reactions: 2470f2.8ii

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
I"m I the only one that sees a picture of a young angalenia jolie?

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
Although i m not a fan of cutout dials to see the movement, i d much prefer an open caseback rather than a cut out dial..To me personally it feels cheap ( even with the multi thousand dollas APs etc...)

I'm actually racking my brain about this part. I definitely don't like most of the cutouts seen and i'm not a fan of hardly any tourbillons ive seen. We share the same sentiment and rest assured, I'm not making anything I don't LOVE. BUT I would like there to be a sort of window to the soul. maybe I can make the dial out of sapphire and have some markings laser etched.

ALSO the caseback will be sapphire, for now its same size as the front crystal but i may need to shrink it.

One thing I think could look cool is if i got a smaller movement and had everything jammed to the right side with open space on the left.

ALso I'm thinking of having a a trippy design on one of the chrono dials. maybe something along these lines just to get the owner mesmerized: a little vacation on the wrist is my goal
twilight-zone-spinning-circle.jpg

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
is this gonna be a production or a one off ?

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11

Agreed. I've seen so many cheap reps with the cutout (open heart) design that it's fried my brain. Every time I now see one I think rep.

2470f2.8ii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/16
is this gonna be a production or a one off ?

RATED R RADDAVE

They won't be mass produced so I don't mind spending a lot of time on each individual piece. --- I plan on making a couple prototypes while I narrow down vendors. I'm at least making mine and probably 2 additional copies. Hopefully I can have people bid on them for a kickstarter or somehow raise money to make more. Also, some of my family members are big time wsop players. I want them to wear mine while at the big tournaments for some of that good ole viral marketing.

Reactions: Raddave

JohnnyBe

3/1/16
One thing I think could look cool is if i got a smaller movement and had everything jammed to the right side with open space on the left.

Amen to that.. Richard Mille style hehehhe this would be much more preferred at least by me,visually.
Other than that,a beautiful movement seen thought the caseback its much nicer as well.
If i was personally on this project i wouldnt consider the cutout.

Regarding the chrono dials it would be cool to have something like the photo you ve attached.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I"m I the only one that sees a picture of a young angalenia jolie?

No ... I see her too.
Angelina’s probably waiting for the prototype watch to be finished.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
What material is the printer using?

Are you printing the case, dial and hands?

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
It seems beautiful, what material are you willing to use for the case and strap/bracelet?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando RWI