• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

US reneges from International shipping treaty.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
For individual rep watch consumers, I don’t think a 40-70% increase will affect purchase decisions. However, for companies depending on large volume importation for raw or component materials, it will be a pain in the ass and will affect wide swaths of domestic products.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Also, this only deals with EMS/USPS shipping. DHL/UPS/Fed-Ex aren’t part of this. And it was common knowledge that the e-packet agreement was a temporary deal, so a combination of knowing the market was being subsidized and anticipating the pullback horizon likely won’t catch businesses off-guard. It’s a pain, but not unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

OneDisease

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/10/18
Arizona
I work in medical sales- although I do not purchase things internationally I'm really concerned how this will effect my shipping .. in the end it's the cost to the consumer- which ultimately in the end brings prices down to offset shipping in one way or another. I figured I would bring it up here just as a " honorable mention" concerning our DHL packets from China. For sure this will effect DHL - as independent as they " kinda" are. It's going to cause a little strains. But I understand on the much larger range of bulk material import.

Side Note: Etsy/Wish - I expect huge problems with these stores. Historically Chinese vendors charge about $5 to ship anything from China . And if you buy 4 little items. They charge you $20- (a honest ploy to trick consumers when compared to nearly free items ) - so I'm really interested to see what happens with these web sales stores. They sell slot of arts and crafts materials - tons of " epackets". This is gonna piss off alot of people

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Interesting read mate, thanks very much for letting us know.

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
I

Side Note: Etsy/Wish - I expect huge problems with these stores. Historically Chinese vendors charge about $5 to ship anything from China . And if you buy 4 little items. They charge you $20- (a honest ploy to trick consumers when compared to nearly free items ) - so I'm really interested to see what happens with these web sales stores. They sell slot of arts and crafts materials - tons of " epackets". This is gonna piss off alot of people

I think this is who will feel this the most. Let's face it, Americans have an issue buying Chinese crap. In turn, the Chinese take all the crap we buy and purchase real estate, bonds and other non-crap items back from the world. In essence, by providing a subsidized shipping market in which Chinese shipping is "free", we have caused very real inflation for economically sensitive things. It's a tough pill to swallow but this small subsidy has led the US to shooting itself in the foot.

Kdawggy

Known Member
3/4/18
Yeah, I saw this a few days ago and thought the same. Brexit has the potential to really screw with triangle shipping for anyone who relies on it in mainland Europe, too.

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
This doesn't apply to me as I'm not in the US. But thanks for the heads up.