• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dealing with grief/stress

Tcr4x4

21/9/18
Forest of Dean
Not a sob story, promise....

Had a pretty crappy couple of weeks. Last week a good friend was found hanged in woodlands after being missing for a week. We were supposed to be meeting up with him the day after he went missing but he never showed. Kinda knew at that point it was bad news, but he wasn’t actually found for another week. His funeral isn’t until October, so we have a while to wait before starting to get over it and moving on.

Then yesterday my parents in law dog had to go the vets, they kept him overnight and today they had to make the decision to put him to sleep. He was best friends with our dog, and we had him at our house a lot. He was here for a week, just two weeks ago whilst they were on holiday, and he was here all day last Sunday.

Our dog has been having a few issues in the last few weeks, his legs keep giving way and now he has some kind of ear infection which is really making him feel like crap.
Lots of shitty stuff going on in a small period of time.

However this isn’t a sympathy post, I just wondered if anyone else finds joy in buying stuff whilst grieving or going through hard times..

Some people drink, some people take drugs, some people just go into depression or whatever, but for me, just buying something new that I’ve wanted really helps.
It could be a watch, or a camera.. maybe a new phone.. just something a bit extravagant that wouldn’t usually be purchased.

Ive been looking at getting a new watch. Started off looking at Orient Ray’s and Seikos. But I have a lot of seikos already. Then moved onto perhaps an other Steinhart or Christopher Ward, as I like the watches by them I already own..
Then by accident on YouTube came across the Tudor Pelagos and kinda fell in love, especially with the bracelet.
Just the other day I was wearing one of my seikos and was getting really annoyed with how the Bracelet kept going from really tight to loose during the day, as my job involves short periods of really high energy work, followed by long periods of relative inactivity, so for those short moments when your heart Is pumping hard and your body temp rises, the braces gets really tight. I was thinking to my self why nobody had made some sort of elastic bracelet that could flex and expand with your body... then low and behold, I find the Tudor.. must be fate!

I don’t know what it is, maybe the endorphins from the purchase, but it just helps. Plus with something like a watch, you can kinda connect all the good times with it, and look back on it in years to come.. watches have always been a sort of memory box for me. I didn’t have a ring at my wedding, I had a watch.. a watch that I will never sell and always reminds me of that happy day.

tldr....
i want a Tudor Pelagos to cheer myself up, but can’t afford the real thing right now, hence ending up here and looking at reps.

Dan2018

Known Member
19/8/18
U.K.
Sorry for your losses. I understand where you’re coming from to an extend. I feel the planning and research you can do before buying here can really help with keeping your mind busy. I would suggest a new release that could go super rep, with people chatting and waiting for QC pics and gen vs rep comparisons etc before making the purchase could really help drag the process out. On a more practical note, reaching out and taking to friends and family with a similar idea of your loss will also help: people can surprise you in these circumstances as those you feel are closest to you may not be the ones who help you the most.

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
You have to help your body recover, it is easy.
A lot of water, andioxidants and aerobic workout like jogging, cycling etc.
Sleeping without any source of light near.

I 'm sorry for your losses.

Tcr4x4

21/9/18
Forest of Dean
Have a very small friend group and they were mutual friends with the guy we’ve lost, they were even closer to him, so they are feeling it just as bad. We went out with them last night to try and relieve some pent up stuff. Had a nice meal and then went to see a local band play.

Mother and father in law are verging on hysteric after loosing thier dog. I guess they viewed it like a child as their kids are all grown up.

Dont really talk with my familly anymore, so most stuff just gets bottled up to be honest. I’m kinda the “strong, unemotional” one in the familly and friend group, but I do have the same as everyone else, just don’t like to show it.

Thankfully I play the drums, so most anger/sadness/whatever gets vented there.

We also live live in a forest so I get to get out and walk our dog a lot and clear the head, however currently substituting water for beer.

wintersx866

Known Member
12/10/16
Hey man terribly sorry for your losses recently... We all wish you the very best!!! Keep your chin up man!

As far as the Tudor Pelagos, it’s quite amazing of a rep especially the version from the maker V6F. I had the ZF version before and loved it. I see you’re wanting something that has a rubber strap that will expand without strangling your wrist yes? If that’s the case the Tudor Pelagos does indeed come with a rubber strap that I used all the time and loved it. If you need anymore advice on how to get one, definitely buy only from a TD or trusted dealer.

Welcome to the forums by the way!! The world of reps will definitely take your mind off things, there’s a lot to learn in this mysterious world :D

Reactions: Tcr4x4

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
Any distraction is good for the head in times such as this so go for it.

Some of the IWC pilot bracelet such as the Mk 17 also has a nifty press button adjuster so consider one of those for those times where a quick adjust is needed,

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Not a sob story, promise....

Had a pretty crappy couple of weeks. Last week a good friend was found hanged in woodlands after being missing for a week. We were supposed to be meeting up with him the day after he went missing but he never showed. Kinda knew at that point it was bad news, but he wasn’t actually found for another week. His funeral isn’t until October, so we have a while to wait before starting to get over it and moving on.

Then yesterday my parents in law dog had to go the vets, they kept him overnight and today they had to make the decision to put him to sleep. He was best friends with our dog, and we had him at our house a lot. He was here for a week, just two weeks ago whilst they were on holiday, and he was here all day last Sunday.

Our dog has been having a few issues in the last few weeks, his legs keep giving way and now he has some kind of ear infection which is really making him feel like crap.
Lots of shitty stuff going on in a small period of time.

However this isn’t a sympathy post, I just wondered if anyone else finds joy in buying stuff whilst grieving or going through hard times..

Some people drink, some people take drugs, some people just go into depression or whatever, but for me, just buying something new that I’ve wanted really helps.
It could be a watch, or a camera.. maybe a new phone.. just something a bit extravagant that wouldn’t usually be purchased.

Ive been looking at getting a new watch. Started off looking at Orient Ray’s and Seikos. But I have a lot of seikos already. Then moved onto perhaps an other Steinhart or Christopher Ward, as I like the watches by them I already own..
Then by accident on YouTube came across the Tudor Pelagos and kinda fell in love, especially with the bracelet.
Just the other day I was wearing one of my seikos and was getting really annoyed with how the Bracelet kept going from really tight to loose during the day, as my job involves short periods of really high energy work, followed by long periods of relative inactivity, so for those short moments when your heart Is pumping hard and your body temp rises, the braces gets really tight. I was thinking to my self why nobody had made some sort of elastic bracelet that could flex and expand with your body... then low and behold, I find the Tudor.. must be fate!

I don’t know what it is, maybe the endorphins from the purchase, but it just helps. Plus with something like a watch, you can kinda connect all the good times with it, and look back on it in years to come.. watches have always been a sort of memory box for me. I didn’t have a ring at my wedding, I had a watch.. a watch that I will never sell and always reminds me of that happy day.

tldr....
i want a Tudor Pelagos to cheer myself up, but can’t afford the real thing right now, hence ending up here and looking at reps.

I'm sorry for your loss first off. That's a terrible run on events and a little present to elevate your spirits is a good idea. As far as your consideration of a pelagos, rest assured that the current releases from zf (and presumably V6F... I had an original two liner and the bezel lume issues that plagued them were quite annoying, not sure in the latest releasees how much they have improved) are phenomenal. I have had both in hand at the same time, and I can honestly say that the rep is 98%+ there. The following were of note. The bezel click was slightly less crisp, dial print was not as bright and the lume, while good, was not as bright as my gen. The rep I had was pressure tested to 5 ATM and I swam with it many times. There was no easy or significant tell which would have made a call out possible unless you had tge gen next to it. Below are a couple of pictures of mine side by side. It's truly a phenomenal piece and almost impossible to distinguish between them unless you open the caseback to verify the movement or run the serial number.

IMG_20180902_0954133effa34ebd7c4d01.jpg

IMG_20180902_09540803db5c071451c60b.jpg

IMG_20180902_100014cee02ead748d71b1.jpg

Tcr4x4

21/9/18
Forest of Dean
Hey man terribly sorry for your losses recently... We all wish you the very best!!! Keep your chin up man!

As far as the Tudor Pelagos, it’s quite amazing of a rep especially the version from the maker V6F. I had the ZF version before and loved it. I see you’re wanting something that has a rubber strap that will expand without strangling your wrist yes? If that’s the case the Tudor Pelagos does indeed come with a rubber strap that I used all the time and loved it. If you need anymore advice on how to get one, definitely buy only from a TD or trusted dealer.

Welcome to the forums by the way!! The world of reps will definitely take your mind off things, there’s a lot to learn in this mysterious world :D

Thanks, appreciate it.
The strap I was referring to was the adjustable titanium bracelet with the weird spring contraption on it, although a rubber strap is useful too, I sometimes wear my oris tt1 on rubber.

Tcr4x4

21/9/18
Forest of Dean
I'm sorry for your loss first off. That's a terrible run on events and a little present to elevate your spirits is a good idea. As far as your consideration of a pelagos, rest assured that the current releases from zf (and presumably V6F... I had an original two liner and the bezel lume issues that plagued them were quite annoying, not sure in the latest releasees how much they have improved) are phenomenal. I have had both in hand at the same time, and I can honestly say that the rep is 98%+ there. The following were of note. The bezel click was slightly less crisp, dial print was not as bright and the lume, while good, was not as bright as my gen. The rep I had was pressure tested to 5 ATM and I swam with it many times. There was no easy or significant tell which would have made a call out possible unless you had tge gen next to it. Below are a couple of pictures of mine side by side. It's truly a phenomenal piece and almost impossible to distinguish between them unless you open the caseback to verify the movement or run the serial number.

Thanks man, from the pictures it looks pretty damn close. I can see the lume is a bit dimmer, but who is going to notice that unless side by side to a gen.
looking forward to getting mine. Think I’ll wait a week or so just in case one comes up used, if not, I’ll be ordering from a td and start my rep journey.
This could start to get expensive :D

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
Stressful times is probably why I buy here. The process provides and amazing amount of escape between the hunt, the wait for the qc and the shipping.

My wife says that now whenever the kids are acting up and I’ve had my share, I turn off and look at the various TD pages and may have a watch within a week. Booze is much worse and much more expensive.

How about a watch with some complications? I find that in a day-to-day stressful environment have some spinning crap on my wrist takes me a way for a good few minutes.

worldwidemich

Horology Curious
22/9/18
Sorry things have been cruddy for you lately. I agree with you though. The immediate gratification that a purchase brings, is definitely very helpful when dealing with stress. My poison of choice used to be shoes (lol still is kinda), but the watch-game has definitely opened my eyes and now I’m obsessed with timepieces. Hope things get better for you with time. Buy something nice for yourself. You deserve it.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

SadProfessor

1/11/17
Mate, I’m the same. When I get down or I’ve had a rough couple of weeks or even day I go looking for comfort in something new.

This can get expensive with desperation and a series of rough things happening.

I have learned that I shouldn’t rush into bigger purchases with this. So I’ve learnt to use times of stress and loneliness to get really fucking good at something. I get obsessive about one thing and I learn it inside out.

My first use of this with watches was actually the Pelagos too. I got into the minute detail, learning about everything and the flaws the the reps, what to look for on QC photos, what movement I wanted, which TD to get it from etc. I don’t know everything there is to know about the Pelagos, but I took about two months to build up to buying it. Now I’ve got it I feel like I’ve earned it, I know what’s great about it and what’s not so great. The bracelet is great. You’ll love the watch.

You’ll love the watch, but it won’t actually make you feel any better when going through rough times. It’ll just take the edge off for a day or two. You really ought to find someone to talk to, even if it is folks like us on the internet.

It helps more than buying anything. You don’t need the risk of adding buyers remorse to your feelings right now.

Tcr4x4

21/9/18
Forest of Dean
I always research purchases heavily. I’m a sucker for new things and I’ll usually go all out when I decide on a new hobby or collection.

I had spinal surgery in 2011 and was housebound for 6 months, so I decided I’d try and learn bass guitar to keep myself busy. I went from having no basses to six in that time. Still can’t play for shit though.

Ive done the same with bushcraft knives, zippo lighters, road/mountain bikes, Land Rover modifications and countless other things.
Watches along with photography has always been a mainstay though. I’ll go for a year or more without buying anything, but then suddenly get the urge to get something new. Once I’ve made that decision, it’s all I focus on.

Ive had lots of rough times in my life sadly, far worse that this, I feel fine really, just a bit bummed out, but even just joining in here and chatting is more than enough councilling. :D

SadProfessor

1/11/17
I also once owned 6 bass guitars resulting from a broken leg. I also can’t play bass for shit. I sold them though.

Watches has been my mainstay for some time now.

If you’re certain, then the Pelagos is a damn fine watch. Saying that, I am currently coming very close to selling or trading mine because I want the novelty of a new watch. But I’ve already had four new ones this month and another is on it’s way.

People talk about their grail watch, I’ve owned all three of the ones I thought were my grail. I hope I really find myself a grail soon, I can’t keep spending all this cash. Girlfriend wants a new bathroom. I need a new watch box.

Tcr4x4

21/9/18
Forest of Dean
I need another watch winder. I have a double one, but I have 6 or 7 auto watches on the go at any one time and I’m fed up with setting them all the time.
Can’t say I have a grail watch as such. I do love the orange bezel omega planet ocean, but I wouldn’t say it’s a grail.
Getting keen on a Sea Dweller as well, but again, it’s more of a “I like the look of it” to “I really need that one day”.

Owning two landrovers and a house in the countryside limits my budget somewhat too. Need to sell stuff to buy stuff, but I don’t want to sell anything. Except maybe the Samsung gear s3 I bought a while back. Thought I’d join the 21st century, but I much prefer a nice automatic movement to a computer chip and screen.

Reactions: SadProfessor

SadProfessor

1/11/17
Land Rover defender is my grail car.

Where are you based? I’ll swap my Pelagos for a Land Rover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcr4x4

21/9/18
Forest of Dean
I’m in the Forest of Dean, UK. I have a Discovery 2 and Discovery 3.. would love a defender too, but just stupid money now even for an old shitheap.
I used to have an ex British army series 3 109’ though. Was a beast of a car.

Ironically the disco 2 is worth a lot less than a gen Pelagos even though I’ve spent around £20k on it in the 8 years I’ve owned it.

SadProfessor

1/11/17
Well if you ever find yourself in the east of England look me up.

I need a project car that I can lose some money on. Defenders are way over priced, plus there will be a new one along some day soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcr4x4

21/9/18
Forest of Dean
Yes in name there will be a new one.. Wont be anything like a proper one though knowing the direction they have been taking recently. Will likely be some fat arsed euro box like the rest of the range is now.
The new Suzuki Jimny looks pretty awesome though. :biggrin:

Where abouts East are you? My wife's family are all from Kent, Tunbridge Wells area.

SadProfessor

1/11/17
Yes in name there will be a new one.. Wont be anything like a proper one though knowing the direction they have been taking recently. Will likely be some fat arsed euro box like the rest of the range is now.
The new Suzuki Jimny looks pretty awesome though. :biggrin:

Where abouts East are you? My wife's family are all from Kent, Tunbridge Wells area.

I dunno about that. There will be some actual safety features on the new one rather than just a big foam pad on the steering wheel.

I’ve been lucky enough to see some photos of it and I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

I’m in north Essex, the countryside too. Not quite the Forrest of Dean, but we’ve got some nice countryside out here.