• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Custom made watch case

pedroregooo

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
14/6/18
Hello all,

my name is Pedro and i'm from Lisbon. Recently got addicted to watches and since im poor ofc replica become one of my focus of learning and study.

I love also as hobby to create robots using electronics and, 3d print CAD etc. And decided to use 2 vintage radios to customize and create a watch case.

You might thing what in the world you have to do with it!! Well i thought people may get interested and help me get ideas or advices during the process. I will be posting pictures during the process and i am open to suggestions ideas etc.

My ideas so far are ( and maybe ill stack them or ditch some of them ):

Use the old buttons from the radio for:

1.Open a door to uncover the magnificent future watch collection
2.Choose from a selection of watches which one will be bring to the front in a wheel or something like a matress
3.Change colours of leds
4.Control watch winders
5.Control a 3d printed 3axis tourbillon just for aesthetics (this one i actually have printed before)
6.Include voice and facial recognition
7.Bring to the outside a drawer with the watches (this would be used instead of number 2

I will also gladly help anyone who wants to build something similar!!

Cheers

pedroregooo

INMATE
14/6/18
Bp1pkLI

these are the radios, and already some scavaging :)

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Hi Pedro!

I think that it is a beautiful idea. Maybe not for everyone but you will never find so many radios so, it must be somekind of "premium" product.

I like to write some thoughts extending your No6.
Yes, advanced security features are welcomed but you need to make the radio more durable.
What if i try smash it on the floor to gain access?
Reinforce the interior? make some durable fundamentals to be instaled to the "ground"?
If it can resist for ten minutes, it could be save our watches. (in acomondation with house alarm)

You are not gonna be able to create hundrends, add more usability and give it a character that will need.

It won't be a cheap watch box, referbish the exterior as new - clean as you can.

Make a major distraction, for instance its' power button could be power the bands light and, why not a small modern radio?

If you see that there are people want this style of watch box, use their design to built some of your own.

You have a nice idea, if you can manage to be faithful till the end i think it will be a success.
Big or small, does not matter. At this phase you can not built many ;)

pedroregooo

INMATE
14/6/18
Thanks a lot for the feedback,

well my idea is not to do a product to sell, or i might sell it to fund other projects. For me its all about the fun of doing it. Im more interested in maybe interact with people and maybe even influence others to also do something similar "for fun" and practically also.

I wasn't thinking about the safety mater, no burgler would look to an old radio and guess there is a watch collection there (also my watch collection will not worth that much tbh), but is a good idea for the future to take in account.

The image and voice recognition is just again a mater of fun and give some personality and AI to the item. People would be so incredible to know how easy is to create some interactive AI now a days, i know because i created a full size robot already based on this project www.inmoov.fr

So resuming i work during day as an engineer at pharmaceutical development, and is starting a new project, i would love to have people contributing with ideas, feedback or just comments :) I will also help and teach anyone interested in do such projects for the fun of having a community doing it!

Once again thank you so much for the nice words!

Pedro

btw i do surf, wakeboard and other dangerous sports i would be very interested in now if this replicas can survive these sports, since i would love to use them!!!

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17

btw i do surf, wakeboard and other dangerous sports i would be very interested in now if this replicas can survive these sports, since i would love to use them!!!

I think that mechanical watches it is better to be avoided during extreme sports.
Ofcource this is a choise. If anyone like to prepare his watch properly and have in mind that may be need more servicing actions to keep it in good shape...
On the other hand, there are so many good watches that have proove their reliability :)

I don't know for sure, i have in mind that i don't want my watch mess with my kite but i do wear my watch driving two wheelers and that is more risky for my wrist..

pedroregooo

INMATE
14/6/18
ive seen the thread about making the watch waterproof, i think i will dive more into it :) thanks for the advices