• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NBA Finals Cavaliers vs Warriors...Whose Side Are You On?

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Just came from a friend's house where we all watched the NBA finals Game 1 on my bud's large screen TV. I don't really follow the game (except see the posts about LBJ being the GOAT on my FB feed, etc) but I love being with friends, not to mention free beer and good grub.
lol.gif
I was amazed at how evenly divided my friends were on the two finalists (me and my friend's wife being the only neutral parties). So who are you rooting for?
biggrin.png

boonnn

Known Member
29/10/16
Definitely cavaliers, warriors are getting too complacent... No offence to Warriors fans :p

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Definitely cavaliers, warriors are getting too complacent... No offence to Warriors fans :p

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Well the argument could be made for the Warriors are complacent because they don't have real competition. :lol:

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Just came from a friend's house where we all watched the NBA finals Game 1 on my bud's large screen TV. I don't really follow the game (except see the posts about LBJ being the GOAT on my FB feed, etc) but I love being with friends, not to mention free beer and good grub.
lol.gif
I was amazed at how evenly divided my friends were on the two finalists (me and my friend's wife being the only neutral parties). So who are you rooting for?
biggrin.png

I have strongly disliked LeBron ever since the sh!tshow called “The Decision.” You can’t argue with his greatness but he still makes me sick. With that said, Golden State has gotten too big for its britches and Kevin Durant’s defection from Oklahoma City so he could play for a winning team is one notch below The Decision on my vomit meter. Ultimately, Shaun Livingston makes me pull for GS. He’s a good dude who has donated over $1 million to the grade school he attended in Illinois. He’s constantly giving back: https://www.google.com/amp/www.pjst...rts-to-peoria-high-basketball?template=ampart

Reactions: nalomb

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
^^ Agree wholeheartedly on The Decision, and while I'm a pretty die-hard OKC fan, I don't necessarily blame KD for what he did -- Russ is probably a tough guy to play with. I cannot stand Curry and his oral fixation nor the fake-tough-guy-mouthy nonsense from Klay Thompson and Draymond Green. I was a tad agnostic going into last night's game, but after seeing the end, I'm hoping Cleveland beats the holy hell out of Golden State.

On another note, I've long been a "no one can unseat Jordan from being the GOAT" proponent, but when looking at LBJ's career, its pretty damned impressive. He has only been favored in 3 Finals (OKC was favored against the Heat if you can believe that) and still has the rings. Needless to say, my original position is starting to sway a tad -- I don't think Jordan could have taken this team this far ...

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
The problem with comparing teams from different eras is that the way they play can be vastly different. I have seen LBJ's stats and sure it's impressive. But in a team sport, Jordan still has the upper hand because he led and inspired his team, compared to LBJ who carried the team on his back. It is amazing how he did that, but eventually without a team to fall back on, he needs to be at 110% always or like what happened in the first game, he's going to run out of gas. Then add to that piss-poor officiating. Hard to lose in the home stretch when you have 6 people on your team compared to your opponent's 5.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
It is -- there is no true apples to apples comparison, and when you look at who Jordan had to go up against, I'd say his peers were a step above the elite talent today (the 1992 Dream Team is still the greatest "best of best" lineup in any sport at any time ever assembled -- they may even be better than the Top Gun class of 1989 ...). I don't think Scottie Pippen gets enough credit for what he did insofar as spreading the floor and initiating the offense -- Jordan couldn't have done what he did if he was bringing the ball up the court every possession. Maybe another way of putting the "inspirational" aspect to application is that Jordan probably made Kukoc, BJ Armstrong, Steve Kerr, Luc Longley, Harper, Rodman, (probably not Robert Parrish or Bill Cartwright haha), etc. better players. I'm not sure if I could say LBJ (or Westbrook for that matter) makes those around him better.

This NBA season's officiating has been horrendous across the board -- that comes from Nate Silver in my mind, but its something the league has to get a handle on. The NCAA which notoriously has been inconsistent at best was actually pretty good this season. If they can figure it out, surely the NBA can make strides in the right direction next year ...

Geogarc56

13/2/18
Definantly cavs only because i hate the golden state warriors. Wait actually i only hate draymond green. But i dislike him so much i hate the whole team.

machim

19/7/17
Dub nation will win in 4th :). They are an empire and will still be an empire

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
Well, I’d long said GSW would ultimately and deservedly win the championship, but I honestly didn’t think, and in fact hoped it wouldn’t be a sweep. It’s been a sweep and a blowout too. That was underwhelming. If this is LBJ’s last season with the Cavs (he can potentially opt out), it’s not an inspiring closing chapter.

And as for those hating on the GSW just for their successes, you only need to remember that just a few years ago, they were so bad, they were the butt of late night standup jokes. Building that team to what it has become is sheer genius on the part of the organization. To be honest, it’s natural to detest sports juggernauts. “Pats”, anyone? I too loathed the Lakers in the 3peats years.

nalomb - Awesome analysis. Took me down memory lane.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
It is indeed nice to see a perennial bottom dweller of a team rise to the pinnacle of the sport. Its a crazy confluence of events with the madness in Silicon Valley, increased value for the marketplace and tech "bros" who care about sports and have the cash to support it. I don't know if what has happened for Golden State could have happened anywhere else. Maybe what we saw with the Vegas Golden Knights, but that's a little bit different ...

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Yeah, figured it was going to be a win for the Warriors as the odds were stacked heavily in their favor as I don't think any team has won after trailing the series 0-3. Must sting for Steph though, as KD won back to back MVP honors. That's ever since he moved to Golden State. I hope Steph just cares about the paycheck, not the pride. cause if not that's when things start to crumble. That's going to always be a potential problem with these so-called superteams. If Steph won't say anything, well, there's always his mouthpiece Ayesha. :lol:

Quavohuncho

Horology Curious
31/3/18
i just realized how much i love this forum...we have watches, guys, gals, more watches and basketball!!!! anyways GSW swept cavs...

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
Yeah, figured it was going to be a win for the Warriors as the odds were stacked heavily in their favor as I don't think any team has won after trailing the series 0-3. Must sting for Steph though, as KD won back to back MVP honors. That's ever since he moved to Golden State. I hope Steph just cares about the paycheck, not the pride. cause if not that's when things start to crumble. That's going to always be a potential problem with these so-called superteams. If Steph won't say anything, well, there's always his mouthpiece Ayesha. :lol:

We’ve seen that movie before, haven’t we? One can only hope a Steph/KD dynasty displays more maturity and team spirit than the Kobe/Shaq dynasty. Not even Phil Jackson- the Zen-master, could save that dynasty from self-destruction.