• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Travelling Internationally with Replica Watches

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
They were suspicious even with the car which cost 20 omegas, they probably did not like you country origin nor you face IMO ^^

Only happened once in literally hundreds of biz trips to Switzerland. And it's not a big secret that Germans aren't particularly popular over there...

Luc.font

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/5/16
EU
Only happened once in literally hundreds of biz trips to Switzerland. And it's not a big secret that Germans aren't particularly popular over there...

I guess they are not very friendly with foreigners as they hate french either! Maybe because we supposedly "steal" their jobs in border cities!

Last edited:

Hoosier Watch Guy

29/3/20
Checked Luggage....
Isn’t that tempting fate

I once lost my bag. It arrives 4 days later at the hotel in a new case, etc
I had been informed that the conv belt had broken multiple times that night hence the delay.
Clever how the conv belt had managed to sort the crap from the good stuff and only return the crap to me?!

Sent from the RWI App

Opps, I completely meant CARRY-ON luggage. Lol. Sorry.

Yes, that totally changes the risk. They are with me at all times in airline travel. I take the one off I am wearing and put it inside my carry-on for screening. That way I avoid it being loose in the trays or bins. MUCH less susceptible to being lost, snatched or disappearing while out of my sight.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
No one cares. Personal watches are yours. Customs only care if you will sell them. If its a problem they can write the serial number on your passport so you will return home with them. But no one will ever care or know if its real or fake. Today reps are so good no one will know. Customs only care about Tax if you got it new from some country.

IronTexan

Looking Around
19/3/19
I wouldn't hesitate to wear a rep traveling internationally, and in fact have several times, but I agree with the thought of picking one instead of traveling with multiples

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
I feel like the old adage better safe than sorry applies here. Personally I’d set the limit at 2. One on the wrist one in the bag. Carry on.

Last edited:

fu-ranch

22/5/20
Montana - USA
Traveled in Central America wearing a gen GMT and never gave it a second thought. Ended up buying a gen Daytona in Bogota, and wore that home with the GMT in my luggage with the Daytona's box and papers. Needless to say that I didn't declare the new watch. Was a little nervous going through customs wearing the shiny new watch but both made it safely home.

petr

Looking Around
2/2/14
i put it inside my carry on all the time and wear it when i step outside the airport

Mestizaje

Supporter
14/8/20
Australia
I read a great article one time about why you should travel with at least one replica watch, particularly if you are backpacking, going off the beaten track, visiting some of the more ... er... "colourful" places that the wide world has to offer.

The crux of the article was that, should anything go wrong, e.g. attempted robbery, offering up your rep could save you a whole lot of trouble.

Aside from that, I almost always travel with reps, because I'd be traumatized if anything were to happen to my gens!

Reactions: leo6929

Aramis2288

Supporter
Certified
27/3/17
Picking up the topic of this thread and focusing on Switzerland in particular.

I am living in the EU but will be moving to Switzerland within the next couple of months. I own quite a few reps, but nothing too obnoxious, the common stuff - some steel subs, omegas etc.
What I am trying to figure out is how to get my reps moved with me.

The experience that YellowFin shared made me more optimistic about the whole thing.

I guess that my best shot would be just travelling with just one watch on my wrist and then each time I would be travelling from my home country to Switzerland and this way gradually bring them in one by one.

Curious if more people have experience with reps when travelling to Switzerland?

Last edited:

Andres90

MULTI ACCOUNT
28/12/20
One in the wrist and one in the bag, more watches are a risk ;)

JJMan

24/3/21
Having only 1 watch in your possession shouldn't cause any alarms. Security wont know if its a replica or not. Worst case scenario... you plead ignorance, to the fact its a replica and didn't know.