• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Travelling Internationally with Replica Watches

lpl

Renowned Member
3/1/17
New Zealand
Hi everyone,

I would just like to inquire about transporting replica watches (multiple: maybe 2-3 franken Rolex's, AP's, Panerai's).
What's the procedure? What would you say to the border security when they ask for proof of receipt? I know this isn't one of those situations where you tell them the truth and admit that it's a replica because a lot of countries are against counterfeit goods. My main purpose is strictly so that I can have a good watch rotation for my travels.

Thanks!

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Pick one and wear it. Carrying multiple watches is inviting trouble.

Reactions: lpl

SUK

Known Member
11/11/17
Hamburg
I've have traveled with two replicas within EU without any trouble. More than two could it be dangerous.

PlanetZoom

I'm Pretty Popular
28/8/16
USA
I know this isn't one of those situations where you tell them the truth and admit that it's a replica because a lot of countries are against counterfeit goods.

Correct. That could result in confiscation. Wearing one is fine. An extra one is probably okay, too.

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
iv'e traveled with 8

wearing 1,3 in a watch roll in my carry on. 4 in my luggage

they dont care about watches they are not trained horologists. who can spot that your date font is off.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Two options. One, register the listed serial numbers on the cases with your home countries customs and immigration office before the trip or two (recommended), just bring 2-3 along at most and don't worry. How many people would have proof of ownership with them on a trip.

stu7sinc

Looking Around
31/5/15
I regularly travel with 3 to 6 reps. Never had any issues although did once have customs ask to open one of my cases in Saigon. On that occasion I was carrying 10 reps. 3 in my carry-on 3 in one case and 4 in the other. The only reason she asked to open one case was because the 3 reps in one of the cases were contained inside a 10 watch case and it was perfectly clear on the x-ray. There were 3 panerai's with different colour dials. She asked if they were new, I said "no". Then she said "same same but different colour". I said " yes". Then she let me go through and didn't even look at my other bags. It likely would have been a different situation if they were 3 Rolex reps or if they still had the plastic wrapping.

I'm on an international flight at least every three weeks. Mostly flying into Saigon or Abu Dhabi. But on multiple occasions I have flown into London, Dallas, Johannesburg, Sydney, and Adelaide carrying anything from 3 to 6 reps.

I never pack them all together. Usually the ones in check in bags, I wrap in socks and put each inside a shoe for protection. I also wrap any in my carry-on in socks for protection.

Separately packed and not contained in watch boxes or looking brand new should not attract any attention and will likely be fine. Probably also don't want to pack more than 4 in a single case.

I guess you also want to think about where you are flying from and to. I had all my bags searched once in Sydney when returning from Johannesburg. I was polite and talkative with the customs officer and he told me that they do randomly search a higher percentage of travelers flying in from Africa or Asia. At the time I did have 2 reps and a gen in my case but that's not really what he was looking for, so caused no issues.

I just don't worry at all about traveling with 3 or 4 watches.

Hope this helps and sorry about the big long post.

Sent from my iNO 5 using Tapatalk

arepuj

Known Member
6/10/11
I've travelled internationally with 2 replicas. One in my wrist and other in a transport case. No problems at all. Maybe 3 could also be not a problem but more.....

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI VNS-L31 mediante Tapatalk

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
I would bring just two... one on you and the other in a watch travel pouch.

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Do not do this when teavelling into or out of Switzerland. You wpuld get big problems.
Also from outside the EU and entering directly Austria for example can bring you problems at the customs. Some European countries have vety strict rules and high penalties on counterfeit goods. So it depends mostly on your destination!

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
himanshu_j when you wear it on your wrist and it is not like brand new, in normal “used“ condition it would be ok.
Traveled several times per car into and out of Switzerland. Custom guys are skilled and lot of them are familar with watch brands an models.
​​​​​​Mostly it is a VAT issue (if it would look like a new watch) cause Swiss has low VAT on these goods and if bought in Swiss you are VvAT declarable when leaving the country.

Reactions: phdsjain

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
Nur-Uhr better to just take it off your wrist and put it in your handbag when departing Switzerland?

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
When it has desk dive marks and did not look like ootb it would be no problem as long as you only have the one piece on your wrist.

Reactions: phdsjain

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
I enter in Switzerland at least 2x/week... never ever had a problem. Noone ever bothered to look at my wrist, even on a polo with a RM011 or AP RO.
The only time someone questioned me was in Malpensa MXP (Milan airport) where the custom guard asked if my BP OP 39mm was new. Because they try to collect import VAT in Italy.

lpl

Renowned Member
3/1/17
New Zealand
Thanks so much guys. How about declaration?
Anyone have experience with Gens? I have family flying from Philippines to Canada and I had one of them pick up a Gen GMT-2 for me. What would be the safest way to avoid VAT

Woogie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/1/17
What customs officer would ever be able to verify a good quality rep? Think about the 10000Â’s of tourists coming back from Asia with replica watches.. unless your carrying a quantity that could be considered commercial - youÂ’ll have nothing to worry about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk