• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Filson watches made by Shinola

eznotcz

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
30/5/17
I wanted some thoughts on the Filson and Shinola watches that are now drastically reduced and at a price point I think worth giving a try . Does anyone have one and the goods and bads other then being quartz ?

DreadPirateRobert

Wtb Zenith Ton Up Chrono
Advisor
13/6/14
Fire Swamp
My brother got one of the very "high end" Shinolas from his Ex-Fiancee'. Quartz moonphase. Aside from being quartz, it is honestly gorgeous and seems to be very well built. I'd wear it, and I'm usually wearing my Gen Omegas. Its a good size, sapphire crystal and nice shaped lugs. If you find one that fits your style, I say pick it up.

eznotcz

INMATE
30/5/17
My brother got one of the very "high end" Shinolas from his Ex-Fiancee'. Quartz moonphase. Aside from being quartz, it is honestly gorgeous and seems to be very well built. I'd wear it, and I'm usually wearing my Gen Omegas. Its a good size, sapphire crystal and nice shaped lugs. If you find one that fits your style, I say pick it up.

Thank you yes that one in 47mm is now going for $380 instead of $850 . This is what I was saying to myself yesterday when I had it in had . The AR sapphire xstal, the weight , the nice engraving and great made strap with the clean look I was very impressed ! They had Fossil watches going for the same price . They also had Movado 800 series in that price range

Radman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
6/12/13
where are you seeing the drastically reduced prices? Ive liked shinola a little bit but would didnt think the price was worth it.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
You can find them new all over eBay at reduced prices. I've always liked them but they are terribly overpriced for Quartz watches.

eznotcz

INMATE
30/5/17
where are you seeing the drastically reduced prices? Ive liked shinola a little bit but would didnt think the price was worth it.

Nordstramrack and TJ maxx . I picked up a Filson for $119 retail was $800 . Prob going to get rid of the Luminox now

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I tried a few on at Nordstroms a while back but just can't get passed the quartz issue. For the money they are charging dropping an auto movement would have made it more enticing for me.

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
They look nice, and I like to support Detroit, but what a rip off being quartz. I was shocked to be in Neimans the other day and see them. I didn't know they carried them. I wish they were automatic at that price point. Too bad.

Now the prices listed above at the discount stores I can see paying.

Sent from the RWI App

eznotcz

INMATE
30/5/17
They look nice, and I like to support Detroit, but what a rip off being quartz. I was shocked to be in Neimans the other day and see them. I didn't know they carried them. I wish they were automatic at that price point. Too bad.

Now the prices listed above at the discount stores I can see paying.

Sent from the RWI App
I agree if they had a automatic movement the brand would sell so much more . I also have that quartz cringe as everything else done on the watch is great and better than some major brands out there . I remember the Panerai guys going crazy paying $1500 for the first run of them in hopes that it turns into another Panera 202A pipe dream . Ive been watching them since and now I think is where they needed to be priced at

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
I agree if they had a automatic movement the brand would sell so much more . I also have that quartz cringe as everything else done on the watch is great and better than some major brands out there . I remember the Panerai guys going crazy paying $1500 for the first run of them in hopes that it turns into another Panera 202A pipe dream . Ive been watching them since and now I think is where they needed to be priced at
Agreed. They were riding the high of a Clinton endorsement, rebirth of Detroit, and "made in america". That high is ending for them sadly. The discount prices are more where they belong.

You'd think they'd release an automatic?

I want to love them but sadly they don't know shit from shinola.

Sent from the RWI App

eznotcz

INMATE
30/5/17
Agreed. They were riding the high of a Clinton endorsement, rebirth of Detroit, and "made in america". That high is ending for them sadly. The discount prices are more where they belong.

You'd think they'd release an automatic?

I want to love them but sadly they don't know shit from shinola.

Sent from the RWI App

I ended up pulling the trigger and picked up one for $120.00 after a little haggling about a 4th of july sale !

eznotcz

INMATE
30/5/17
I am in no way affiliated with Filson or Shinola but the brand has always sparked interest from the Panerai days and just by the good looks of the watch when I catch it on a wrist . I went today and picked one up after a couple of days contemplating . Hey I can get a rep or try out a quartz . I can say that if you can get either Filson or Shinola at a great price as they are selling for now I would do it . The craftsmanship is up there with the detail on the Case , Saphire Xstal with AR , LUME IS A TORCH , Textured dial and handmade leather strap that can put right next to any of the strap makers $200+ dollar straps . I also forgot the nice wood presentation box with metal ID card and warranty booklet complete a nice package . Some pics

eznotcz

INMATE
30/5/17
Which one and where? Congrats!

Sent from the RWI App
Picked up the Mackinaw Field which feels just like a Gen IWC 3701 . The weight and perfect curve for my 7 1/2 wrist is stop on that is not to big but you feel it on the wrist . The 20 mm strap might be something to get use to thou . They had the bigger models like the scout and the journeyman and I have 14 days to see if I can keep it with the size , exchange it for a bigger model or get my money back so its a win win .

I actually found 4 Filson in TJ maxx that are on sale cheapest on the net as they are also on sale at Filson direct . The Shinola is on sale at Nordstrom rack