• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Economics on Owning a Tesla Model S....

aphillipe

Renowned Member
31/3/13
Okay... So I'm in a unique position with my career choice in terms of vehicle reimbursement and I'm trying to wrap my head around Tesla-Economics.... Would love opinions from any of you that either own a Tesla or have also looked into one...

I'm in medical sales - I switched to a different division of my company recently and with that change, my car reimbursement changed from being given a flat $450 a month plus all gas being covered at the pump to $450 a month plus a mileage reimbursement per mile I drive. With that change, my daily driver (Lincoln Navigator) makes a bit less sense and there would be an incentive to actually drive a fuel efficient vehicle.

My Navi is owned out-right, and has 120k on it. Way I look at it as I drive about 25k a year is I probably have about 3 years left on that vehicle if I keep driving it as I do now before it nears end-of-life. At that point, I'd likely buy another used large SUV (we own a boat so we HAVE to have an SUV for one of our vehicles) and expect to drop 40k which would likely be a loan initially. My company (while covering my gas) was spending about $400 a month on me in gas for a total reimbursement of $850. My new setup will basically be identical at that mileage at $450 flat plus another $400 in mileage reimbursement for a total of $850.

I can snag a used 2014 Tesla Model S 85 these days for around $50-60k. A 5 year loan on one of those would be about a grand give or take (I pay things off early but let's assume a loan). The cost to operate a Tesla based on our electricity costs here for 25k miles a year would be roughly $900 a year total whereas my gas is nearly $5k a year. That doesn't take into account that much of my charging during the work week would be done at hospitals I am at daily (for free) which offer charging stations and priority parking which is a nice perk!

My total out of pocket per month on the Tesla would be basically $75 a month in electricity and $1000 a month in a payment... so let's just say $1100. My Navi will net me a positive $450 a month till it's replaced, and then will be roughly $1100 a month when I replace it with another SUV including gas. If I own the Tesla, I can park the SUV and only use it for hauling the boat and going skiing or other weather-adverse driving situations and I can milk it for years to come with only my insurance being the ongoing cost.

So.... Short term a Tesla would obviously cost me more per month (but we're talking only a couple hundred a month of MY money to drive a ridiculously awesome car)... Long-term it's very similar in monthly cost to a SUV but I of course have a larger loan on my shoulders. Although - by the time I get another SUV in roughly 3 years my Tesla loan will be more than half- paid off.

What to do what to do... I know there are a lot of factors not considered here - oil changes go away, general repairs/maintenance are lower on the Tesla, etc...

Any thoughts? Drive the SUV in the ground and be forced to buy another SUV or park it and get a Tesla? Need to find a way to rationalize it.. or .. ... do I ??

Radman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
6/12/13
I would run that suv into the ground. You could bank that $450 per month for a down payment on the next car you buy.

You might want to consider a lease next time that has a payment as close to $450 as you can get too.

I'm in Med device sales as well. I get a company car, which is great because it removes this dilemma. But there are sometime rumors that we will go to a similar model.

aphillipe

Renowned Member
31/3/13
Yea - You are lucky to have a provided vehicle - those days are gone for most med device positions. Seems it's still common in pharma though! You are probably right - drive it into the ground and start saving - I love the idea of getting out of an SUV though for my daily driver. My wife hates driving SUV's so she's not going to take it off my hands and allow me to drive her vehicle.

Cheesemonger

I'm Pretty Popular
23/11/13
I would keep the SUV and then save any additional dollars you could to get towards a Tesla Model 3. Also, I would bet the charging stations at the locations you visit are not fast chargers, so if you have a lot of driving, you will be plugging in constantly. The close parking is nice, but the mileage per day and the other charging factors may make it more problematic.

JayPaul

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/16
If you are in medical sales, and have to drive, do you drive more than the range of a single charge in a day? (You wouldn't want to get stranded).

Even if you have charging at the hospitals, are there times when you are outside of hospitals without charging, because that one time running out of charge would drive you nuts.

Have you considered any plug in hybrids? Best of both worlds, charge, and engine when needed. I think BMW has one on their x5 or some other models.

Chroniker

Not listening!
28/9/15
España, currently ze Germany
@aphillipe
I have no experience with owning a tesla besides driving one for some time in HK which despite HKs traffic and speed limit was brilliant.

The answer to your dilemma is in your OP. Re read it and you will come to the conclusion that you WANT that tesla.

Given the stats you can make it happen and so you should!

Life is to short to not drive what you really fancy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bilko

Alfaholic
16/6/09
Just out of interest, whats the long term cost of owning a Tesla, battery replacement would be a bit of a cost I suspect.

velox

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/5/15
Well, first of all, i have owned several Navigators from 2006-2008. I love that ride. The handling, power and comfort is amazing. I always wanted the Escalade but bought a RR Supercharge instead ha ha. A friend of mine ownes a Tesla P85.

From my view, if your solo driving, a small Suzuki would be ideal :) But for us who love big cars and comfort SUV´s are the thing to get. Tesla is great i think, my friend always compliments it with quality and power. We have a deal, if he´s heading on a long haul we trade vehicles, i get the Tesla, he gets the RR. Personally, i really like the Tesla. I drive like 50-60 miles a day so no problem for me in regards to battery charge. I love the power, the internet and the space Tesla offers. There are of course no oil changes, water pumps etc. needed to replace so its almost care free i guess. The thing i don't like if i want to go for a longer distance (300-500 miles) i would have to change cars. So for short distance and low maintenance i would love the Tesla. But for everything else ill stick to my RR - for now :)

aphillipe

Renowned Member
31/3/13
Okay ... so here's one to FLIP the entire script...

$850 a month is what I get...

My parents (I know this isn't the most exciting car..) have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Limited Hybrid.. loaded.... I've driven it- actually really nice inside and VERY quiet/comfortable..

I can get a 2016 plug-in version of the Sonata right now as they make room for the 2017's coming that is normally $40k... for $31k... Yea.. $31k!!! Then with the $4900 federal tax rebate you get for a plug in vehicle, my effective purchase price is freakin $26k.

My monthly cost on that car with some basic assumptions of 75 miles per day (the first 30 being electrical-only, the back 45 being at roughly 40 mpg)... would be a 5 year loan at $450 a month plus roughly $30 in electricity and $90 in gas... a total of only $570 a month for a brand new vehicle. I then pocket nearly $300 a month in SAVINGS from my corporate plan and laugh all the way to to the bank... (Or more likely throw the $300 in savings on the loan and pay it off in less than 3 years)...

Hard to argue that math...

aphillipe

Renowned Member
31/3/13
Just out of interest, whats the long term cost of owning a Tesla, battery replacement would be a bit of a cost I suspect.

It's $12k to replace, Hyundai has a lifetime warranty on their batteries..

OmegaRules

Renowned Member
25/6/15
I have a company vehicle - a loaded 2014 Ford Escape and definitely thankful to have one as we recently reduced our fleet and glad I got to keep mine. I understand the value of having that perk and in seeing you are given a fairly decent amount per month, I would recommend finding a lower cost per month vehicle that would meet your needs and that can cost contain some additional expenses like fuel so that it becomes more profitable for you. The Hyundai you mentioned sounds like a good choice to consider or perhaps await production of a Tesla 3 but I think there is such a long wait list on it that it will be quite some time before you can pick up one I would think.

Just my two cents.

irishjohn

Renowned Member
24/11/15
Why drive an suv at all??? My wife drives a kia optima hybrid loaded with every option and commuting she is getting 42+mpg...when the tesla model 3 comes out thats my next buy

Sent from the RWI mobile app

atgm

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
21/11/15
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the Teslas will be hitting a hardware breakpoint soon with nvidia processors and better sensors; once those come out, the old hardware (eg 2014 models) value should drop like a rock, because they will have hard limits to what they can do compared to newer cars. Also, don't forget battery replacement costs once they're old enough...

aphillipe

Renowned Member
31/3/13
Think I'm going to snag the Hyundai.. it's just too good.. MSRP is $39,600 and with all the stinkin rebates on the new 2016 models to clear them out before the 2017's arrive I can get one (with the $4919 fed tax rebate) at $26,127. That's just stupid cheap for a loaded car with leather, 8" touch screen navi, parking sensors, rear backup camera, front collision avoidance, lane departure/blind spot, and adaptive cruise control... I did the math (approximate) on my driving habits and I'd basically be only spending $140 a year on electricity to charge it and another $800 a year (estimated gas prices higher than they are to be safe) in gas for a total operating cost of only $940 a year.. My SUV is about $4900 a year in gas LOL!

So... 5 year loan.. 2.49%.... $500 a month plus another $100 a month in gas/electricity for a $600 bill before oil/brakes/tires and I get $850-950 a month depending on mileage. Not bad to create a small profit and drive a brand new car while I'm at it..

Tesla.... will have to wait till another day....

Sandman0209

24/11/11
I have a company vehicle - a loaded 2014 Ford Escape and definitely thankful to have one as we recently reduced our fleet and glad I got to keep mine. I understand the value of having that perk and in seeing you are given a fairly decent amount per month, I would recommend finding a lower cost per month vehicle that would meet your needs and that can cost contain some additional expenses like fuel so that it becomes more profitable for you. The Hyundai you mentioned sounds like a good choice to consider or perhaps await production of a Tesla 3 but I think there is such a long wait list on it that it will be quite some time before you can pick up one I would think.

Just my two cents.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wait list. There Are plenty of people who have early slots, but may not purchase the Model 3 (bought the c43). Those slots will come up for sale

Sandman0209

24/11/11

Just my two cents.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wait list. There Are plenty of people who have early slots, but may not purchase the Model 3 (bought the c43). Those slots will come up for sale