• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Engagement ring (rep?)

JimmyD750

Renowned Member
Certified
18/3/15
St. Louis, MO
Hey guys,

Reaching out in hopes of finding a good ring to use for an engagement to a beautiful young lady who's caught my fancy. She also loves reps, and is currently the happy recipient of a few watches, bags, and shoes. I'll enclose a pic of this fine lass for posterity.

We have agreed that since there is a budget I must adhere to for our wedding and engagement rings, the majority of the money would best be spent on the ring she'll wear permanently.

I am thinking maybe a lab diamond, possibly even a good Cartier Love or Bvlgari rep. I'd be open to other designers but I'm unaware of what's offered rep wise in jewelry, except for the hit-or-miss stuff on AE.

Can anyone steer me toward a TD whom might be able to supply what I'm looking for? Or has anyone else any experience with high quality rep ring sources?

Cheers,

Jimmy

0dc0d9e4d84c21e8d10cf325da7fe969.jpg

Sent from the RWI mobile app

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16
I can't help you with your question but I think you two make a lovely couple.

You've done well my friend!

mauricio612

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
4/12/15
I would avoid getting that kind of goods from China.

You don't want the diamond to fall off becauseit was not properly made.

In Paris many independent jewelers can make you replicas of luxury brands for 10% of the actual price.

My girlfirend had a Chaumet ring done for 1200 euros. The gen is worth 18K

I'm sure jewelers do that in many other places.

Obviously if your budget is 300 usd then I can't recommend anyone

Envoyé de mon SM-A310F en utilisant Tapatalk

Rabbagasten

I'm Pretty Popular
25/12/15
Congrats on the (upcoming) engagement!
I would stay away from any reps on this occasion. This is for memories, and maybe to be handed down to the next generation.
Have you tried checking out online pawn shops? You can get really nice rings for cheap. Remember that the value of retail diamonds is just a fraction once they leave the jeweler.

Good luck!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
You do realise women keep the engagement ring on after they get married, yes?

civic4982

Renowned Member
11/9/11
We chose a white gold ring styled after a similar one we found at Cartier.

The diamond ended up being the pricey part of the ring and we could help choose between styles and customize with our jeweler.

Even then the ring itself ended up only being $400-500 I think. (Without the other $xxxxx for diamond)

The other option maybe to use a non diamond precious stone instead.

Take your time and ask lots of questions and find some referrals locally from friends and family.

Congratulations and best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
If you're (plural) set on a branded rep ring, that's one thing, but if you're open to ideas, there are lots of affordable ways to get unique engagement rings out there... which could end up meaning more than the brand to the two of you. :)

Two that keep coming up time and again among my contemporaries are moissanite and faceted tungsten carbide.

@timnic54 can probably chime in about gemstones if you want to know about precious stones. :)

nycrounders

Certified
13/12/15
I would go gen on this too, something you can afford. Maybe sell some reps to buy it. You don't need the best or biggest. Something that she will enjoy wearing. It will mean more to her.

ebattle

5/1/17
I can vouch for Charles and Covaliard moissanite. We did the same thing you are looking to do. Beautiful rock, no one will know it's not a real diamond.

ebattle

5/1/17
Just make sure you're not getting a Rock that's too big for your reality. I.e. Don't get a 3Ct rock if you only make $30k, it will be obvious at that point.

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
I can vouch for Charles and Covaliard moissanite. We did the same thing you are looking to do. Beautiful rock, no one will know it's not a real diamond.

I'd actually really like moissanite for myself if only because it's cool (to me, at least) to have a fricking rock that came from outer space. That's way cooler than a sparkly rock from Africa to me. Outer space!

@Raddave, you love rocks, any opinions here? :D

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I'd actually really like moissanite for myself if only because it's cool (to me, at least) to have a fricking rock that came from outer space. That's way cooler than a sparkly rock from Africa to me. Outer space!

@Raddave, you love rocks, any opinions here? :D

actually the jewelry grade moissanite you find today are man made silicon carbide crystals , much like man made diamonds (carbon crystals)....

real moissanite from outer space is found only in the form of microscopic crystals ....:(

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
actually the jewelry grade moissanite you find today are man made silicon carbide crystals , much like man made diamonds (carbon crystals)....

real moissanite from outer space is found only in the form of microscopic crystals ....:(

Well, you crushed my dreams... I'd been hoping moissanite was a decent way to get a real space rock; I know there's a huge problem with meteorite fraud as it is. :(

Abdus

Horology Curious
11/1/17
For the money you would spend for anything half decent i would say you are better off going for a custom made semi-precious stone from someone like Doug Menadue. Then get it set by a jeweller nearer to you.

€1000 gets you a small, included, dull diamond that looks awful.

If you spent €1000 with one of the custom cutters they would cut to order (they will even show u rough stones to pick from) - you could have a 4ct huge rock - Asscher cut white topaz with slight blue pop that goes BOOM under the light.

228b.jpg

Who needs diamonds? Overpriced junk

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Well, you crushed my dreams... I'd been hoping moissanite was a decent way to get a real space rock; I know there's a huge problem with meteorite fraud as it is. :(

you know all the gold on this planet was deposited from meteorites during the late heavy bombardment, along with all the water here, came from comets at the same time ........

kinda cool .......

there is only one really cool meteroric jewel they are called pallasites

they are peridot crystals from inside meteorites

7BAOSXu.jpgm.png

EDIT :The yellow crystals are the peridots, the "blue" is actually iron, and not see through as it appears to be , its the reflection, as its polished

kevin.123

Renowned Member
12/8/14
you know all the gold on this planet was deposited from meteorites during the late heavy bombardment, along with all the water here, came from comets at the same time ........

kinda cool .......

there is only one really cool meteoric jewel they are called pallasites

they are peridot crystals from inside meteorites

7BAOSXu.jpgm.png
Wow that's so nice! And thanks for sharing such knowledge!

apottedplant

6/6/12
Get a cubic zirconia. Lots of reliable vendors online. Get it properly set by a proper jeweller, in proper white/yellow gold or platinum. In a few years, when you have more spare funds, change the stone to a gen.

They look absolutely beautiful, and I'll be surprise if anyone can tell them apart on the hands, esp if u don't go crazy with the size. Perfect carbon stones. Flawless.

Good luck with your wedding, and marriage. You guys look great together!