• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stupidest thing you have ever done to one of your watches

moscar45

Horology Curious
25/2/07
I'd like to start with my horological Darwin award for the day...happened not more than an hour ago.... I recently purchased a Reactor Critical Mass watch in yellow (a nice beefy diver, with superlumed face). I twas my first ever super lume watch, so I figured I'd give it a good charge and see what the hype is about super luminova. I forgot about the watch......after unscrewing the ceiling light fixture cover and putting it inside not 2 inches below a 100W bulb. I was looking for the watch, and just as I looked up, I heard a *pop*, which was the crystal popping off. The face is scratched a bit, and the plastic tachymeter ring has melted and shriveled up. Other than that, the movement works, watch was hot as hell.....and I'm retarded. I wonder if I should try and have the factory replace the inner ring, or just take the dial out and paint the outside edge.....I only paid &60 for the watch used on Ebay, but the thing is I absolutely LOVE it....I'd wear it every day for the rest of the summer.....man this sucks....so lets hear if I'm not the only one out there with a chromosome missing...haha.

rbj69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/3/06
ROFLMAO, :eek: OMG i guess this one tickled my funny bone just right , i almost tipped out of my chair, lmao

well i dont have one that good but i was working on a watch one time and it wasnt mine , lol but i was pulling the hands off of it to relume and all the gears and dial came out with it , so then i was like what the hek , no biggie well i put it back together gears that is and then i get to reluming it and found myself using regular paint on the dial instead of superluminova , talk about your mind in the gutter, lmao it was going on so smooth because it was water base paint , i didnt even realize it till it got clumpy on about the 3rd or 4th marker , lmao

joe(rbj69)

sixbennetts

Known Member
21/5/07
I gave my father-in-law a Navi from Silix for his birthday last year. He said he clamped a hemostat onto the crown, and whipped it around a few dozen times really fast to wind it. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm putting in the new Asian 7750 from Ajoesmith over at Repgeek this weekend. :roll: :cry:

I re-educated my father-in-law on automatics. :|

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I thought if I put my 111H in the Microwave it would make the Lume brighter...

Picture0492.jpg

It didnt! :oops:

Hambone

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/11/06
To test the waterproofing on my fiddy, I buried it in the sand at the beach, and lo and behold, this knucklhead shows up, and
really puts the stress test on my 127 ! :eek:

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
sixbennetts said:
I gave my father-in-law a Navi from Silix for his birthday last year. He said he clamped a hemostat onto the crown, and whipped it around a few dozen times really fast to wind it. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm putting in the new Asian 7750 from Ajoesmith over at Repgeek this weekend. :roll: :cry:

I re-educated my father-in-law on automatics. :|

YIKES!!! bye bye click-wheel LOL

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
daytona4me said:
I thought if I put my 111H in the Microwave it would make the Lume brighter...

Picture0492.jpg

It didnt! :oops:

I hope you're kidding? LOL
Straps on fire.. dial melting.. crystal exploding.. doesnt really matter what the lume looks like at that point! HAHAHA

dizz

johng

Renowned Member
16/4/08
moscar45 said:
I'd like to start with my horological Darwin award for the day...happened not more than an hour ago.... I recently purchased a Reactor Critical Mass watch in yellow (a nice beefy diver, with superlumed face). I twas my first ever super lume watch, so I figured I'd give it a good charge and see what the hype is about super luminova. I forgot about the watch......after unscrewing the ceiling light fixture cover and putting it inside not 2 inches below a 100W bulb. I was looking for the watch, and just as I looked up, I heard a *pop*, which was the crystal popping off. The face is scratched a bit, and the plastic tachymeter ring has melted and shriveled up. Other than that, the movement works, watch was hot as hell.....and I'm retarded. I wonder if I should try and have the factory replace the inner ring, or just take the dial out and paint the outside edge.....I only paid &60 for the watch used on Ebay, but the thing is I absolutely LOVE it....I'd wear it every day for the rest of the summer.....man this sucks....so lets hear if I'm not the only one out there with a chromosome missing...haha.

PICS!!!!!!

Tommy Tom

Renowned Member
28/11/06
The most stupid thing i've ever done is open my watches.

Had I left them alone my watchbox would be about 100% fuller and I wouldn't have drawer full of dead ones which would still be happily ticking away had I not f**ked them up.

Leave them alone, thats my advice.

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
@HU What 21J Omega. Nothing left but metal filings.

Sean K