• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

crappy job / job experience thread??

pete2528ca

Renowned Member
14/1/07
Hey everyone, what do you all think of having a little fun and posting about either a crappy job, or a crappy work experience?

Pete

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I receive bomb threats on a weekly basis, have a machine that santitizes the mail that comes in, have bullet proof glass at all points of entry and carry a .45acp Glock for protection as me or my employees are followed home or have people waiting in the parking lot for us sometimes.

I dont work for the government (or a party store) and I'm right here in the midwest.

Here's a bad job experience if you want a long read: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38217

Here's a short snippet from that post
daytona4me said:
If we lost two weeks of data we would loose about $65 Million Dollars in receivables input and $2.8 Million in actual recovery and notations and our action records over the last 2 weeks which consists of about 700,000 entries. Our database has a total of 15.8 million consumer records and Hundreds of Millions of dollars in "current" receivables that we manage.

pete2528ca

Renowned Member
14/1/07
@ daytona...

me thinks that you and I are in similar fields of work. unfortunately i do not carry a fire arm. I do recieve death threats often, and usually reply by saying "no problem, I'll be watiting for you" :D

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
I was working as a young diver many years ago and I was using a device called a hand jet to dig a trench following a buried pipeline. A hand jet is just a 300 psi water hose with a double ended nozzle which blows out of both ends to negate any recoil effect from the 300 psi of water being pumped down from the surface. Well, the pipe line we are trying to follow was in 200 feet of water and the pipe itself was buried almost 15 feet below the bottom in the mud. I was not very experienced at deep trench hand jetting and was real impressed with how fast I was moving as I was trenching along. This is all done by feel because with the water jet the turbidity is so thick you can not see your hand in front of your face. It turned out the reason I was making such incredible time is because I was not trenching, I was digging a cave along the pipeline! Well that was short lived as it promptly caved in on me and buried me solid. I was standing up but doubled over and had the hand jet against my stomach and could not move. I started calling for help and they had to send another diver( the standby diver ) down with another hand jet to dig me out. Since he is also working by feel he drops down my hose to find me. Well I dug a cave so he was 30 feet away digging for me. That was the only time I ever knew in my heart I was going to die. It took 40 minutes to dig me out and now I was way over my bottom time and was off the dive tables for the gas we were breathing. It then took 2 hours 10 minutes to get to the surface for in water decompression and then a 6 and a half hour decompression in the deck chamber on a treatment table 6. If I had dropped the hand jet when I got buried I would have been suffocated because as you exhale the mud packs in around you tighter and tighter. That was officially my worst day at work, at least I did not experience any lasting effect of being bent.

pete2528ca

Renowned Member
14/1/07
jesus christ...

:shock:

i am glad you made it out my friend.

ok, here is a funny "crappy" job experience.

so, this disgruntled client comes in and goes into one of our interview rooms that someone forgot to lock, on a friday at just before 4:00 (closing time), and lays a big duece on the floor. well that stanky shit had all weekend to ferment. anyway, on monday morning one of my work mates goes into the room to prepare for an audit and was welcomed by that smell.

:D

georgegrasser

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/7/07
I have been fired from every single job I have ever held. Over thirty of them. So I figure the law of averages would have held if I were to be ever hired again.

So now if I see a place I think I would like to work at, I simply beat them to it and politely ask for the manager.

When he appears I tell him to buck off.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
I worked at Dell in Sales dealing with nice people, dumb people, stupid people and people who were completely retarded and think they're the next best thing in the world, I was just working there to pass the time while visiting my home country and finally returning tot he U.S. for college, thankfully, but I did try my best, so basically I always started cheerfully talking and at the end of the day I was homicidal :lol: , why? Because I got lot of stupid calls, people asking: "Hey, how much is this $499 computer?!" I said: "Well it's $499 just like the add said" and then they said oh thank you and hung up :evil: , or they called me to bitch about Windows Vista, hey, if I were Bill Gates that would've been fair but FFS I'm NOT, and are they so retarded they can't use Vista? I've used it without any problems since day ONE :? ... I usually got calls from people who DEMANDED to speak to someone in America... when I explained to them I AM in America they laughed and asked where was El Salvador, where I smiled and replied: "in Central AMERICA!, Want me to email you a map?" --they hung up--- :lol: , and yes I made some people cried rubbing their ignorance in their face even mocking them because they decided to pick on me, well, wrong person :lol: :twisted: . To top it of once I received a call from a nice black guy who later turned out to be a complete racist towards white people, which pissed me off because I'm white and he thought I was brown skinned or similar like most Latinos are :x , so I let him have it, we don't deal with racist bastards, and I actually marked his profile so they wouldn't sell him anything with a note, and surprise, surprise, this has happened about 5-6 times, 3 rednecks and an actual Latino guy from Puerto Rico racist against Asians? Wtf. What makes them so God dammed special to think they're better? I cannot understand racists.

Then we had stupid metrics to follow, for example, the number of calls we received were divided by the number of computer sold, and we had to keep a 30% close-rate, wtf!? 2/3 calls is some idiot asking me how to turn on his/her computer! I even got calls from someone angry because his gateway computer wasn't working, wtf?! Then we had to keep calls 45min or less, wtf? It's not my problem the customer decides to tell me his/her story of his/her life and how he finally got married but got divorced and now he wants a pity discount. Or that cheap-ass woman who demands a discount on a heavily discounted $349 computer with free shipping! I honestly couldn't take it anymore, a year was enough for me, on my last day I was nice to every nice customer and I let them have it if they were rude, trust me I really got revenge verbally (nothing permanent or similar), basically I used Karma, "be nice to me or else! :twisted: ". I could go on for days, it was a nice place to work, everyone there was awesome, we got loads of crap for free, etc. But I just couldn't deal with lots of the retarded customers who called us. And don't get me started on the rednecks who called us or the people from the ghetto, oh dear God... :x

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Wow, I love reading these posts. I have always thought of a bad day at work being one where you almost get killed and then don't. To us the closer you get and still get away with it, the funnier it is! The only thing better than that is when you are recording the dive on either VHS or DVD and the diver has close call and screams like a little bitch. Now that is funny. We don't let you live that one down for months! here is another one you guys might like.

I was working on a platform in the Gulf of Mexico and we were working on bottom at about 450 feet in saturation. I was doing a sweep of the bottom for scrap and trash such as batteries, old tires, and grating that had been thrown over the side for years. I was lugging around a big tripod that had a sonar scanning head on it to map the bottom. As I am humping this big awkward piece of s h i t around on bottom, I get hit like a truck slamming into me from behind. I ended up with 2 broken ribs. I am laying on the bottom wondering what the f u c k happened and I saw it. It was a grouper about 6 to 7 feet long. they are very territorial. I groaned and told the supervisor I was going to go back to the bell. After I locked into the bell, my bell partner locked out and within 15 minutes this grouper nailed him and he screamed like a little girl. Thank god we got that on tape! I still have it. Over the last 10 years any time I work with this guy I run this on my laptop. Man it pisses him off!

I love my job!

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
You sold me a bum computer! There is no "Any-Key" and it dont have enough jig-a-bytes in it! :lol: