• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My new Home Theater addition...(on it's way)

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
As I have mentioned in several threads, I am having my basement redone (drywall, lighting, closet space, etc..) and one of the things I did before the drywall went up was wire the hell out of the basement. I have cat5 and speaker wire everywhere!
I have 1/2 of the basement wired for 6.1 surround and the other end wired for floor standing speakers which we will utilize from a dual zone receiver (not sure which one yet).

Well, the speakers I purchased are Mirage Omnisat speakers which have a very cool design and sound out of this world!
I hooked one up as a center channel on my existing polk audio setup in my family room and what I once thought sounded good.. suddenly sounded cheap and nasty when compared to my new Mirage Ominsat. I cant wait to here 6 of them at once as apposed to just the one. OMG! Here is a link for these speakers : http://www.miragespeakers.com/omnistat.shtml

mirage_omnisat6.jpg

Today I pulled the trigger on my new TV. I have a 50" LCD Rear Projection Hitachi that is played 14 hours per day (someone is always home with my kids) and I did not want to add another 50" in my new Home Theater room as ... well.. I already have that. So I basically ruled out 50" or 52" Plasma or LCDs. I wanted BIG and I needed it to be mobile as I have wired my speakers so that I could change tv placement without messing up my surround sound.
I decided on a 73" Mitsubishi 73734 DLP. I have seen this side by side to the 65" Mitsubishi and the 61" Samsung DLP. It had a far superior picture (even extremely close up) so I made the jump after finding a good deal on Amazon.
Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-737 ... B000RYUWX4

Mitsubishi_WD-73734.jpeg

I will show before/ mid / and after shots of my basement once we have everything finished. I've got a lot of work to do on it which is limiting my time here a little bit.

Now I just have to find the right receiver (with 1080p transfer and upscaling) plus a blue ray player (probably just get a PlayStation3 for the kids and use the blue ray from that).

So that's what's going on in my life right now.. :)

Hambone

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/11/06
Very nice setup. Two things will happen. You will most likely never set foot in a movie theater again and the dreaded couch potato
syndrome will be upon you big time :D

Enjoy your new home theater, it looks fantastic. :!:

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Super

of

Duper!

smiles to enjoy of ment!

Happy for nice thing u do for u and fambly!!

: )

Life is Good!

K

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I'm pretty excited about it. :) Cant wait till everything is ready to start entertaining (me of course) lol..

I will certainly post pictures once everything is finished. I will also have a permanent setup for my light tent. :)

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I can bring over some NewCastle. Maybe you can call JB and invite him over as well. :D

toolman

Known Member
7/3/08
Very nice, you will love the omni sats. The are very enveloping for surround sound. Also, a nice choice on TV's.

I am working on a room in the basement too. This is why I have no money for watches at the moment.

14 months and counting. I hope to be done in the next 4-6 months.

screen005.jpg

9 foot wide screen, seating for 6.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
toolman said:
Very nice, you will love the omni sats. The are very enveloping for surround sound. Also, a nice choice on TV's.

I am working on a room in the basement too. This is why I have no money for watches at the moment.

14 months and counting. I hope to be done in the next 4-6 months.

9 foot wide screen, seating for 6.

Toolman, that's nice work. You are very meticulous I will say that about you.

coop

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
If you need anything else let me know. My company is the rep for Boston, and I have access to Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha. All well as other stuff.

toolman

Known Member
7/3/08
coop said:
If you need anything else let me know. My company is the rep for Boston, and I have access to Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha. All well as other stuff.

Thanks coop, I will keep that in mind! I am a big Denon fan and have had one of their surround receivers for 10+ years. Rock solid as it was on the first day.

ken72

Renowned Member
19/3/06
that is going to be one sick set up when you are done. I have been trying like hell to convince my wife to let me convert the bonus room up stairs to theater. We never use it and it would be a great excuse to hang out upstairs sometimes.

flyby75

14/7/07
All looking very nice......I am sure it turns out great!
Good luck

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Very nice theater D4Me..congrats and enjoy...Toolman too.. very nice.

Here is a pic my home theatre. 12 inch screen and very space efficient...and the picture will really surprise you, especially when you get the attenna just right.

MorroBay3-2-08.jpg

you guys are very lucky. :D

dvn

27/5/06
I have to agree with Hambone. Once you have your basement done you never set foot in it again. I did the same thing
2 years ago. Finish my basement with Kareoke system and a bar. Since then i have never set foot down there again.
I hope you enjoy your basement.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
nguyendd said:
I have to agree with Hambone. Once you have your basement done you never set foot in it again. I did the same thing
2 years ago. Finish my basement with Kareoke system and a bar. Since then i have never set foot down there again.
I hope you enjoy your basement.

Here's the trick. I'm setting up all my watch tools, photo tent and camera down there too.... that will force me to go down there... also the draw of a 73 inch screen... and 2 stripper poles.. one on each side so you dont have to stop watching TV to see more assction [smilie=angel12.gif]

toolman

Known Member
7/3/08
daytona4me said:
... also the draw of a 73 inch screen... and 2 stripper poles.. one on each side so you dont have to stop watching TV to see more assction

Ohhhh, stripper poles, I never thought of that! Hmmm...

Rogerthat

Renowned Member
6/11/06
Worth the investment.
I love Mirage speakers, have owned numerous models for over 10 years. Went from Bi-Polar to their more recent Omni-Polar.
I have 2 setups at home, main system has 5 Mirage speakers, basement secondary system has 2 Omnisats plus 5 other non-Mirage speakers.
As I mentioned I love Mirage, but think for the size of you room, you may need a subwoofer upgrade, give it a thought;
check out SVS or upgrade to Mirage powered towers with built in subs for the front channel.
The 100 watt Mirage powered sub is weak in comparision.
The little Mirage sound great and do an amazing job of filling space without being able to tell where the sound is coming from.
For a center channel, purists do not like the Mirage omni choices, Mirage also make normal non-omni center speakers.
Denon receivers will get my money everytime.

Cheers,
M

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I just ordered the MTX SW2 , you would think a major downgrade from the rest of the system but I am already using this 12" powered sub for my other system (Polk speakers and Yamaha Receiver) but this sub is killer... and I picked it up new from circuit city for $113.00 (was around $249 2 years ago). I really like the sound of KEF center channels and may pick one up eventually. I love mirage tower speakers (preferably ribbon) but I have enjoyed my cousins Definitive Technology tower speakers a great deal with a Nakamichi driving them. I'm currently looking at the Denon AVR1708 http://www.ecost.com/Jump.aspx?dpno=5446437 for $239.00 refurbished because I'm running out of money. Also like a couple Yamaha models that are on sale at Amazon. I'm running out of money so I am downgrading the receiver but I must have dual zone, 7.1 and HDMI.

I'll have to have you up sometime so you can tell me what you think. :wink:

Rogerthat

Renowned Member
6/11/06
Sounds like a great price on the 1708, I would grab that if you need the features you mentioned.
The next model upgrade will cost more than double I believe.

I am not as current, my two receivers are powerhouses though.
Denon 5600 and Denon 5800

Always love to break-in a basement party and HT room. :D
I have a kick ass refurbished bar installed in mine that is fully stocked and looking for drinkers.

Cheers,
M