• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Thinking of buying an External Hard-Drive? READ FIRST!

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Ok, so I need a damn external hard drive for my laptop, I opted for the 120GB 7200RPM Internal for my laptop because I use it for gaming, so, for the price of the 250GB INTERNAL @ 5400RPM I got the 7200RPM, go figure, anyways, I use space like there's no tomorrow, having only 24.5GB Left I need one... FAST! But I remembered, you can make an internal to an external using some type of encasing, and sure enough there's a how-to here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... 26952.html

A 5-minute how-to... basically you need:

(1) Internal Hard Drive
(1) Hard Drive external enclosure USB.

Connect HD to the Enclosure, connect the AC Adapter, plug the USB into your PC and you're done. Savings: Depend on HD space, for example, a 500GB External goes for $120, you can make one for $70, but depends on how good a deal you get or if you have a spare HD inside your desktop PC to make an external one for your laptop, go crazy. :wink:

And that's it... :)

:!: Just remember, there's SATA (serial advanced technology attachment) and IDE (integrated drive electronics). So be sure the external HD enclosure is compatible with the Internal hard drive you're gonna use.

daytona4me

Robert - EOW 19/01/2024
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I was at best buy today looking at external as well as encasements for internal ... same as what you are describing above... funny how two different people are thinking the exact same way... I guess it just makes sense huh.. ! :lol:

LegendofSpeed

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/06
the only problem with this thinking is that unless you are willing to spend around 40 then at some point you will be disappointed... Cheap ones have mediocre power supplies... Which leads to trouble at some point... Unless you need more than 250gb then off the shelf is not that bad... I think I saw tb external for 250-300...

Through my years of IT I have learned that cheap and data do not belong in the same sentence...

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
daytona4me said:
I was at best buy today looking at external as well as encasements for internal ... same as what you are describing above... funny how two different people are thinking the exact same way... I guess it just makes sense huh.. ! :lol:

Now that's weird :lol:

@LOSpeed I just managed to get today a 750GB Sata HD for $40 from a friend, he just put in 2TB in his pc and didn't really need the 750gb, don't ask me why he needs 2TB, but I guess I will now have to get the $40 one you were telling me about :lol: Either way, I just got myself a nice 750GB External for $80ish 8) ~ Dumb luck I guess, hopefully next time my friend here wins the lotto so I can ask him for a Daytona for my birthday :lol: