• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Devon Tread1 Steampunk

Cromag

Renowned Member
11/8/12
The most unusual watch I've seen. What do you guys think of it?
$25k for this model.
yjaryty3.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zr_BsQa-D0&sns=em"]Devon Tread 1 Steampunk Watch Review - YouTube[/ame]

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Tread 1 has been out for a long time. It's quartz and although it's interesting it's about time they did something other than cover it in glue and roll it in a watchsmiths spare parts box.

Cromag

Renowned Member
11/8/12
@Luthier those Willy Wonka meets Journey to the Center of the Earth Hollywood pieces all look like they use basic watch guys to run. The have a familiar dial. The Tread1 is far more mechanically creative and unique IMO.

Not sure why @Bonesey is hating on it.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Steampunk watch makers should be up in arms, and demanding they do what fake Rolex watch makers do: Folex.... Steampank. :D

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
@Luthier those Willy Wonka meets Journey to the Center of the Earth Hollywood pieces all look like they use basic watch guys to run. The have a familiar dial. The Tread1 is far more mechanically creative and unique IMO.

Not sure why @Bonesey is hating on it.
Haruo Suekichi is uber famous, not only in Japan, but all over the World. When I visited him (and it was years ago), there was a line of foreigners, rushing to order their custom watches.
http://watchismo.blogspot.com/2007/07/watchismo-times_13
http://pingmag.jp/2008/09/26/haruo-suekichi-the-steampunk-watchmaker/

i_like_shiney_things

24/10/13
Interesting concept but for me at least ugly as sin... I can't ever imagine any situation where I would wear something like that ;)

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I have to admit that I just don't get the whole Steampunk thing!

Maybe because I don't see much of it in the UK, or if people who are into it just don't go outside...

I love Victorian Engineering, so I kind of get that bit, but as far as I'm concerned lot of the elegance has been misinturpreted as 'stick loads of extra stuff on it and it'll be way cooler'.

Saying all of that, I like the fact that someone has thought out of the box a bit with that Devon watch and not been afraid to experiment (or copy someone!).

I'd say the most impressive piece of Steampunk I can imagine would be a minute repeater with a chimney on which puts out real coal smoke. A mix of amazing Victorian design and engineering, with the smell of Industry!

i_like_shiney_things

24/10/13
Is this for some kind of weird cosplay (is that the right word?) ? Otherwise I can't see the point of them... really can't imagine a real life situation where I'd be comfortable wearing one of those lol. Kudos to the guy who makes them however, there is obviously a market for them and if he's making money from it then more power to him ;)

Merlinrider

Horology Curious
4/8/15
For those into the steampunk look the Devon is a perfect accessory. The price tag being the only problem. Those devoted to steampunk are very creative and self create their own items too exhibit their retrofuturistic views. Love it!