• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I need a "real" German

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
...to tell me what is the true meaning of the word "uber"

I was reading a thread on the English Forum as to what the meaning of this word is. I see a lot of descriptive references using "uber" on our forum, uberfranken, ubermodded and so on.

I read that the word in it's original context is Ãœbermensch/Uebermensch. Is this correct?

I need a real German to tell me, cause I don't trust any American with foreign words :facepalm:

Steelfish

Hǝɐpᴉᴎƃ ꓭɐɔʞ ᗡoʍᴎ Ոᴎpǝᴙ
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
I'm not American so I'll give my .02 here.
happy-096.gif

Uber - to an extreme or excessive degree

In a sentence........Steelfifsh's wife is often compared and very similar to........

JasonVoorhees-UberJason.jpg

........Uber-Jason.
4_6_200v1.gif

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the German word. For further uses, see Ãœber (disambiguation). For the surname and English homonym Uber, see Uber (disambiguation).
37px-Wiktionary-logo-en.svg.png
Look up über or über- in Wiktionary, the free dictionary. Über (German pronunciation: [?y?b?] ( listen), sometimes romanized as ueber or uber) is a German language word meaning "above", "over" or "across." It is a cognate of both Latin super and Greek ???? (hyper). It is also sometimes used as a hyphenated prefix in informal English, usually for emphasis. It is properly spelled with an umlaut.
Contents

In German

In German, über is used as a prefix as well as a word in its own right. Both uses indicate a state or action involving increased elevation or quantity in the physical sense, or superiority or excess in the abstract.
elevation: "überdacht" - roof-covered, roofed, [also: reconsidered, thought over]quantity: "über 100 Meter" - more than 100 meters, "Überschall" - supersonicsuperiority: "überlegen" - (adj) superior, elite, predominant. (verb) to considerexcess: "übertreiben" - to exaggerate, "überfüllt" - overcrowded Über may be a preposition or an adverb depending on context. E.g. über etwas sprechen - to speak about something, über die Brücke - across the bridge.
Über also translates to over, above, meta, but mainly in compound words. The actual translation depends on context. One example would be Nietzsche's term Übermensch, discussed below; another example is the Deutschlandlied, which begins with the well-known words "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" meaning "Germany, Germany above everything" (this strophe is not sung anymore, because it is mistaken as meaning "Germany above the rest of the world"; its original meaning was the German nation above its constituent states [Prussia, Hanover, Württemberg etc.]).
The German word unter, meaning beneath or under, is antonymous to über. Unter can be found in words such as Untermensch, U-Bahn (Untergrundbahn = subway), U-Boot (Unterseeboot = submarine), as well as toponyms, such as Unter den Linden.
In English

Origins

The crossover of the term "über" from German into English goes back to the work of German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. In 1883, Nietzsche coined the term "Übermensch" to describe the higher state to which he felt men might aspire. The term was brought into English by George Bernard Shaw in the title to his 1903 play Man and Superman. During his rise to power, Adolf Hitler adopted Nietzsche's term, using it in his descriptions of an Aryan master race. It was in this context that American Jewish comic book creator Jerry Siegel encountered the term and conceived the 1933 story "The Reign of the Super-Man", in which the Super-man (not to be confused with DC Comic's Superman) is "an evil mastermind with advanced mental powers".[1] Throughout the following decade, Siegel, and Joseph Shuster, recast Superman into the iconic American hero he subsequently became. It is through this association with Superman the hero that the term "über" carries much of its English sense implying irresistibility or invincibility.[2]
Current popular culture

One of the first popular modern uses of the word as a synonym in English for super was a Saturday Night Live TV sketch in 1979. The sketch, What if?, pondered the notion of what if the comic book hero Superman had landed in Nazi Germany when he first came from Krypton. Rather than being called Superman, he took the name of Überman.[3] The term was also used in an episode of Friends (season 1, episode 5, "The One with the East German Laundry Detergent"), when Ross tries to impress Rachel by showing her that he uses a German laundry detergent called "Überweiss". In the Philippines, a reality show franchise called Pinoy Big Brother has a segment show called Über that features extra scenes and discussions about the housemates and provides edited and comical footage. In the 2002 animated movie "Ice Age" Manfred the mammoth refers to Diego the sabre tooth cat as uber-tracker as they hunt the lone parent of the human baby that the trio has adopted. Quote: "Hey, über-tracker. Up front where I can see you."
During the 2000s, über also became known as a synonym for super due to games and gamers excessively using the word; for example, in the game SSX Tricky, a tricky move is also known as an über-trick. In the video game Team Fortress 2, a playable class called the Medic has a healing gun that can deploy an "Übercharge" on a teammate which renders both temporarily invulnerable. One of his domination phrases is "I am the Übermensch!". In Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 of PS1, the "Uber Score" is the most difficult score to achieve. In Toy Soldiers, one of the bosses is a giant tank called the "Uber Tank". In Dead Space 2, chapter 14-15 has an unkillable enemy known as the "Ubermorph". In Season 7 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a deadlier and more powerful vampire is introduced, given the name "Übervamp" by the show's protagonist.
American punk-band Dead Kennedys in 1980 released the song California Ãœber Alles, which plays on the theme of power and corruption through power.
Differences from the German

Spelling

The normal transliteration of the "ü" ('u' with an umlaut) when used in writing systems without diacritics (such as airport arrival boards, older computer systems, etc.) is "ue", not just "u". Because of different usage, the English language version of the word is distinct from "über". It is not possible to translate every English "uber" back into "über": for example, the above-mentioned "uber-left" could not be translated into "Überlinke": a Germanophone would say "linksaußen" ("outside left").
A natural language is defined by common use of words, which dictionaries and academia record, not the reverse. The use of "ü", "u", and "ue" in the word is an emerging trend in common usage in English with no clear consensus.

mafiaplayer

Horology Curious
7/7/12
Über (Ueber, ü=ue) is a word, which has many meanings, they depend on the context:

1. über - about, e.g.: they talk about you
2. über - above, e.g.: my skills are above yours. Same meaning for Übermenschen, that means for the human, that he something like Superman, whoose skills are better then these of "normal" humans
3. über - on, e.g.: I'm sitting on the table...
4. über - across, e.g.: I walked across....

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Thanks KBH. Very informative and needless to say there are many derivations including the hyphenated usage that we use in our watch descriptions. Most helpful.

"During his rise to power, Adolf Hitler adopted Nietzsche's term, using it in his descriptions of an Aryan master race..." This is the reference I was looking for, and where I and my ancestors come into the picture :mob:

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
KBH's answer doesn't count though as he is American........so Steelfish's answer is best!!!
party-075.GIF

Oh alright Steelfish is the winner
king-033.gif

But wait, how do we know for sure what any of our nationalities are? For all you know I could be a Kenyan :unsure:

Steelfish

Hǝɐpᴉᴎƃ ꓭɐɔʞ ᗡoʍᴎ Ոᴎpǝᴙ
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
Oh alright Steelfish is the winner
king-033.gif

But wait, how do we know for sure what any of our nationalities are? For all you know I could be a Kenyan :unsure:

That could be so........but unfortunately your hypothesis falls flat as you took your UN on holiday a short while ago........complete with wrist shots.
laughs91.gif

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
That could be so........but unfortunately your hypothesis falls flat as you took your UN on holiday a short while ago........complete with wrist shots.
laughs91.gif

Hmmm Steelie has an excellent memory :cry:

So what if I had the most unbelievable peanut, would it be

called an Uber-goober? :lol:

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
KBH's answer doesn't count though as he is American........so Steelfish's answer is best!!!
party-075.GIF

I'm Irish, I just happen to have the good fortune of being born in America because my grandparents had trouble subsisting on rotten potatoes.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I'd like to mount that in my den :lol: