• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RM 11-03 Mclaren ABD/ZF a story to follow ...

Aurasash

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/7/19
The RM011s.... that’s maybe another matter! Hopefully they are looking into custome RM011 cases too and can make that rep thinner, as the KVF is like a box on your wrist!

DC

Yes we’re on them, Carbon midcase and Carbon pusherbox. Thickness still an issue though slimmed a little but we’re working on that fervently!!!

​​​​​​​

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
Shit man. Ok, last one and I'm out. Would you pay $5000 for a 1:1 RM rep? Cloned movement and nice finishing? I certainly would instead of buying gen. No way I'd pay $5000 for a 1:1 Nautilus though. But I would pay $25K for a gen PP.

Personally no, but that’s not my point. If your aim in all this was to commission a one off rep from ABD to your specs for $5,000 then why didn’t you just ask him that instead of going on about the differences in the layers and how you think they have made it?!?

DC

Aurasash

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/7/19
Go back and read my "how-to". There are two additional things to do. One is when you are stacking the carbon sheets into your curved mold, is that you want to rotate the sheets at 45 degree angles to each other. That'll give the nice marbling effect on the top. Two, since those layers are so thin, you won't see the zebra stripes on the more pronounced areas of curvature (as you approach the strap). To achieve that zebra effect, you can stack the layers in groups instead of one by one. That way they appear a bit thicker which makes the layers visible to the eye.

Recap with instructions:

1. Roll out NTPT sheet and cut (approximately 6cm)
2. Cut 20 more pieces the same length (estimate here, this will take some experimentation for the right number)
3. Drop into a curved steel mold with all sheets aligned.
4. Cut 19 more pieces and align these as a group
5. Rotate the group 45 degrees and drop into the mold
6. Repeat the process making each layer thinner and thinner
7. Take your mold, apply compression from the top.
8. Drop into an autoclave and bake according to the recommended specs
9. Remove cured block and mill.

How is ABDs process potentially different? You can buy sheets of carbon in all kinds of forms. Some are cheaper than others. As long as they are pre-impregnated with binder, you can mix them up all the same. Just look at the mix of carbon and orange quartz for an example of using blends in your bezel.

I gave my guy who’s the expert in layering our carbon bezels a call and translated for him in mandarin what you’ve mentioned.

He only gave me a short reply, buy him a first class ticket here.

On my end I’m sure I can work some magic to prevent you from being quarantined due to the pandemic. But in the event you fail to perform the above mentioned artwork, I think you may turn into some carbonised artifact. Lol

Why o why aren’t you starting your own factory may I ask? Lack of resources or opportunities? I’m willing to offer you these not kidding. Do it not do it in theory where the above information is out in www where everyone can copy and paste.

Last edited:
Reactions: HarriArcher100

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Personally I think you're lucky not to be in the brig for a few days because of the rice brain nonsense. I think at the very least you owe an apology because whilst it what your said can be construed different ways, the way many people would read it is as a racist comment.

Carry on. Or should I say 'asyouwere'.

Last edited:
Reactions: jm_brc_7057

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
Yes we’re on them, Carbon midcase and Carbon pusherbox. Thickness still an issue though slimmed a little but we’re working on that fervently!!!

239d059ef8eeaba1480897c6a055e952.jpg

71750296cf59833d6c72ec03d11d6aae.jpg

cf045cd8100355f5e2060d67cc867795.jpg

9b5802251e3a9e079929a05388636552.jpg

efbf341b54c0107a84a2e3b77d383649.jpg

bcf2d26ba1cffc34ff08407f0cedc975.jpg

Oh hello, missed this earlier. I already don’t think I can afford it! Something still off about the dimensions though (not thickness, something about the proportion between bezel and dial seems off).

DC

Last edited:

GingerBubba

24/10/17
Whats a Rice Brain ?

I don't think it's anything in and of itself, I've certainly never heard it before, but in the context of someone having an argument with someone they assume to be Chinese, then calling them 'rice brain' - I think it had connotations over and above calling someone pea brain, which the user asserts is what he meant. I thought it's use was a bit dodgy, but more importantly, the person on the receiving end took it to be a racist comment.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I don't think it's anything in and of itself, I've certainly never heard it before, but in the context of someone having an argument with someone they assume to be Chinese, then calling them 'rice brain' - I think it had connotations over and above calling someone pea brain, which the user asserts is what he meant. I thought it's use was a bit dodgy, but more importantly, the person on the receiving end took it to be a racist comment.

And thats why im waiting for him to answer me before i pass judgement .....

Ill wait a day ...

Reactions: Glaude

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK

In fairness he had been called pea-brained in the preceding post, it’s pretty clear he was trying to continue the same theme of insult but exaggerate it further, and if I was trying to think of something smaller than a pea I’d probably land on rice too... but doubtless a pretty unfortunate choice under the circumstances.

DC

Reactions: XLR8R

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
In fairness he had been called pea-brained in the preceding post, it’s pretty clear he was trying to continue the same theme of insult but exaggerate it further, and if I was trying to think of something smaller than a pea I’d probably land on rice too... but doubtless a pretty unfortunate choice under the circumstances.

DC

im giving him a chance to explain , whether he takes it or not is up to him ...

GingerBubba

24/10/17

DC

I think I missed that part, ta.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Well, that escalated quickly . . .

Play nice kids and look at the (very) pretty carbon and stop the BS.

OP: Amazing work man, seriously.

Reactions: Glaude