• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TSWatch 6542 Siezed by Customs

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Mike116 After doing some crash reading over the past day, it seems like the best thing to do is avoid contact with Customs.
That's my understanding as well. There are some long and detailed posts regarding members of various rep forums and their customs experiences. The recommended action is to NOT contact customs and to ignore any correspondence you might be sent, unless it's a letter telling you an amount of duty that's due and how to pay so they'll release the goods (which, fortunately for me, is the only kind of customs correspondence I've experienced).

Reactions: W124E

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
unless it's a letter telling you an amount of duty that's due and how to pay so they'll release the goods (which, fortunately for me, is the only kind of customs correspondence I've experienced).

If you don't mind me asking, did this happen to you with a Rep? This one seems like a total loss right now, but I like fantasizing that there's a ray of hope here.

https://giphy.com/gifs/ToMjGpKniGqRNLGBrhu/html5

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
If you don't mind me asking, did this happen to you with a Rep? This one seems like a total loss right now, but I like fantasizing that there's a ray of hope here.
@W124E Yes, it was a rep. But apologies, I was getting my shipping companies confused - I said DHL, when in fact it was Parcel Force (the privatised parcel based arm of the Royal Mail).

I bought a Tudor from a member of the other forum. They are in the States. The package came through and went to Parcel Force headquarters in the UK, because UK Customs has basically sold the business of customs checking to Parcel Force. In order to make the business pay, Parcel Force then routinely slaps duty on everything they possibly can. So once they'd had my watch for about a week I got a letter asking for £25 and instructions on how to pay online. I paid, and a couple of days later the package was delivered.

So, perhaps there's the slimmest of chances that something similar could happen with your package...

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
So there's a coda to this story. It's bizarre, and I would've shared it sooner, but I wanted to make sure it all panned out lest I get pinched again.

On May 31, I got an email from Eva at TS watch saying that Sara (the person who basically told me 'tough luck') is "new here" and "doesn't understand our policy." Then I got this follow-up email:

Dear friend,

We are very sorry to hear this news.
We will resend one to you, pls offer the new receiver name, address and phone no., and we will use by EUB, more safe than DHL.
Pls kindly note that: if resend parcel has any problem, we won't resend again.
Thank you.
Best regards,
Eva

I gave her my brother's name and address across town to avoid any Customs hassle, and they sent it via EUB/USPS the next day. Yesterday, I got the watch in the mail.

I'm going to get around to doing a review on it in the next day or so – there's a lot of good, and a lot of bad. But holy hell, TS came up big for me. Like I said, I would've posted about this earlier, but I wanted to actually have the watch in hand before I got my hopes up.

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
Wow happy ending! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: W124E

Dano-D

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/6/19
So there's a coda to this story.

Happy endings are the best. Glad you finally got your piece.

This makes me wonder on a a few things:

Could it be that Customs keeps record of some TD's common addresses/shipping practices? Now with the explosion of apps allowing to order directly from China, I bet there's a gazillion of small individual packages coming in every day, and I'm sure the volume will just keep on increasing. Most of these products are small non-copyright-infringing, worthless and brand-less knick·knacks and without the powerful watch corporations putting pressure on gov. So, how the heck can they spot a top brand rep? I don't think that they actually physically watch every single package going through the x-ray machine. I also wonder how many packages/day they confiscate? Gotta be quite a few.

Also, how much of the price of a rep is built-in to cover for seized items? I know that they work on very low profit margins and a lot of people are involved throughout the whole rep manufacturing process (plus bribes and so.)

An interesting industry this online world of reps is, which I'm just becoming familiar with. Much different than when I bought my first reps in Beijing back in 2003, which was yet another fascinating experience.

Nice watch BTW. And not just an average rep anymore, as it already has a story to tell. Enjoy it!

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
Dano-D Thank you for the kind words! I feel incredibly lucky that this watch got through. I'm not sure if there's a list somewhere, but I did wonder if this whole US-China trade war is leading to increased screenings of packages from China. I also read that DHL has a reputation for being more likely to screen international packages than other carriers. I feel like there could be something to this since my original watch passed through US Customs in Cincinnati then got flagged at the sorting center in my hometown. I, for one, am laying low on international packages for a while, and in the future, I'll ask that people shipping things my way use anything but DHL.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Glad it all ended quite well for you... and yeah DHL here in the UK can be problematic too. Fedex are quite good though! They even deliver the item before billing you for the import tax. Which means you can argue about the import tax at a later date. They have some stupid fee they charge ontop of the tax... and you can get it removed every time with just one phone call. Obviously pay the tax part though as that is governmental, a whole different kettle of fish.

nathan92

Known Member
15/6/18
Wanted to find my way back to the post to see if any updates...now it's on me to decide whether I think you got really lucky or if it means I should pull the trigger. Lol. Congrats, looks like a nice piece right out of the box. Looking forward to some detailed photos and a review later on.

W124E

Known Member
16/5/19
nathan92 Thanks for the kind words! I did write a review on it, you can read it here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...94911-my-star-crossed-snakebit-ts-6542-review. Since then, I've been able to get it working and remove some links, so it's getting wrist time. The dial really lacks contrast in my opinion (to me, it photographs way better than it wears), so I pulled the trigger on a Ruby's gilt dial that got shipped yesterday (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm not on some sort of Customs list). If that gets through, it'll be my first big mod. I'm really looking forward to upgrading this one!

Rex411

Horology Curious
10/3/17
Wanted to re-use an existing post to ensure anyone else who decides to purchase through TSWatch is aware this is an reoccurring issue. I was looking for a specific Breitling which could only be found on the TS site so I took the chance. As of right now it has not paid off. After shipping on 10/29 from Hong Kong my watch arrived in Cincinnati on 10/31. From there it was passed along to my local sorting facility with the following message (2019-10-31 10:08 ROCHESTER - MONROE, NY - USA, Please contact DHL). Upon contact to DHL I was advised "your package has been seized by customs. They will be sending you a letter of explanation. Have a nice day".

I felt kind of crushed for two reasons: 1) the watch was like $378 with shipping 2) I really wanted that watch!

After finding this post I feel a bit lighter, but since it's 10pm in Beijing I'll need to wait for their reply. This is the first time I've had something international sent to my address so it's not like there is a streaming history of Chinese packages they used to target me. Guess we can chalk this up to bad luck. I'll keep the thread updated but in the future I'll do everything possible to find a TD to purchase and ship any future watches.

polaxgr

Looking Around
23/6/17
Wanted to re-use an existing post to ensure anyone else who decides to purchase through TSWatch is aware this is an reoccurring issue. I was looking for a specific Breitling which could only be found on the TS site so I took the chance. As of right now it has not paid off. After shipping on 10/29 from Hong Kong my watch arrived in Cincinnati on 10/31. From there it was passed along to my local sorting facility with the following message (2019-10-31 10:08 ROCHESTER - MONROE, NY - USA, Please contact DHL). Upon contact to DHL I was advised "your package has been seized by customs. They will be sending you a letter of explanation. Have a nice day".

I felt kind of crushed for two reasons: 1) the watch was like $378 with shipping 2) I really wanted that watch!

After finding this post I feel a bit lighter, but since it's 10pm in Beijing I'll need to wait for their reply. This is the first time I've had something international sent to my address so it's not like there is a streaming history of Chinese packages they used to target me. Guess we can chalk this up to bad luck. I'll keep the thread updated but in the future I'll do everything possible to find a TD to purchase and ship any future watches.

what happend after all ? I am also looking to buy a Breguet from them, but its 780$...and i live in Europe.. Dont want this to happen to me too .. My apologies

Rex411

Horology Curious
10/3/17
So far I have had a few emails with 'Miffy' who has just been asking for documentation from customs. My guess is I'll have to wait until I get a letter in the mail before I can request a new watch from them. This time around I will give a new address and try to process using non-DHL carrier.

Rex411

Horology Curious
10/3/17
Just a quick update... I've had 4 emails from Miffy so far and am not any closer to having a new watch sent out. In each email I stress the point that US Customs will not allow replica or counterfeit items into the country and that I do not plan on speaking with anyone at Customs to confirm I have committed a crime.

The complete text from TSwatch emails has been the following:
1) Please send me your order number
2) Does the Customs let you offer some through the documents?
3) You can ask the custom how can you get the package
4) Will the customs send the watch to you?

I will continue down this path to avoid any self-realization that I am out the $400 for the watch. Hopefully, TSWatch will realize that alienating customers is not a good business practice and that both parties are taking a risk.

Mark L

Known Member
28/8/19
UK
Just a quick update... I've had 4 emails from Miffy so far and am not any closer to having a new watch sent out. In each email I stress the point that US Customs will not allow replica or counterfeit items into the country and that I do not plan on speaking with anyone at Customs to confirm I have committed a crime.

The complete text from TSwatch emails has been the following:
1) Please send me your order number
2) Does the Customs let you offer some through the documents?
3) You can ask the custom how can you get the package
4) Will the customs send the watch to you?

I will continue down this path to avoid any self-realization that I am out the $400 for the watch. Hopefully, TSWatch will realize that alienating customers is not a good business practice and that both parties are taking a risk.

1) Order number is easy enough
2) Attach Copy of the letter sent to you from customs, that says why the watch has been sized. (you should have received that by now, if not you should ask for it.)
3) Just say, 'I have spoken to customs and they will not release package due to reasons stated in letter'
4) Customs say they will not send the watch for reasons stated in letter.

They should resend a watch once it is clear from an offical letter that the watch has been permanently seized.
Keep trying with them, send then the things they ask and answer what you think they need to hear.
They do need to see a copy of that seizure document though before they will do anything.

drdds

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/8/19
Their prices could be attractive and seem like you can find almost any watch on through them I bought several watches from them, some of which are considered super rep but the marker misalignment and clasp are beyond bad bad when I received it. Their QC pics are manipulated in a way that you will not see the defects. Another watch I got had a date misalignment and despite that I have pointed out and have told them to get another watch for me, they just simply centered the date using whatever tactic they used to say that it was all fixed and fine. Unwilling to provide any after sale services whatsoever. You paying the full price is the exact same as you paying at PWS price. please do yourself a favor and your friends as well, never buy anything from this place. It sad to say that they are still operational, I would go as far as to say they are borderline scam. I have wasted almost 1.5K dealing with them because I have to pay out of my own pocket to fix something that was bad on arrival. NO...they will not compensate for fixing or anything like they claimed.

Rex411

Horology Curious
10/3/17
UPDATE: My replacement watch arrived without any additional cost to me. I am very pleased at the customer service from TSWatch.

Now the review (Breitling Superocean Heritage II Chronograph 44mm Outerknown) - The outward appearance is truly beautiful. It is a spectacular looking watch with its deep black reflective bezel and royal blue NATO strap. The bezel click is quite spot-on. The Chronograph works nicely and spins the supporting timer dials as expected. The band fit is comfortable. The un-wind of the crown seems to match the Gen with @ 40 turns needed.

That said, the mechanical function seems to be at issue. Sometimes (many times) I can hear some 'wurring', a spinning-down, a definitive rotational mechanical sound that is not ticking. It lasts for a few seconds, like something was spinning while the watch is flat but when held at at an angle or moved it slows to a halt. I can almost always hear it if I shake the watch lightly near my ear. I can also feel and hear the 'spinning' when putting on the watch.

Also, I can't seem to find a way to change the Day and Date separately. On the SOH II there should be a dual pull on the crown (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlDyYxOHCm4&t=208s) . The 1st position allows the independent set of the Day (counter clock-wise) and Date (clock-wise). On mine the 1st position spins freely moving nothing. This means I can only change the Date by rotating a full 24 hours and can not separate the values so today on the watch it's Tuesday the 12th of November (not Thursday).

The Pearl is outset vs the Gen which is inset into the Bezel.

The band retaining straps are rounded vs a true square in the Gen.

Also noticed the screws that are inset into the outer ring of the bezel are placed incorrectly as per the Gen but at least are present (even if not functional). This is very minor.

Photos:
https://ibb.co/H4TLrXc
https://ibb.co/LZGDcSy
https://ibb.co/6X4Dc5r

Update based on Research: the watch comes with the Asia 7750 Valjoux Working Chronograph movement. This seems to be the topic of a few threads on the self-winding rotor being very loud and the need to crack the case back and apply a few needle points of grease to reduce friction, improve adjustment or refine cleanliness. These possible changes will get that 'spinning' noise down to a manageable level. I'll be most likely contacting BK or another AD for some watch repair.
H4TLrXc

Last edited: