• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Newbie: DSSD Rolex Replica bought in Hong Kong (Ladies Market)

watchwis

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/11/18
Hello:

This is my first post.

I am a newbie, starting to grow an insane addiction for watches (you know what i am talking about)

I recently bought a genuine DSSD, absolutely love it.

After that, i read an article about "super replicas" that got me really intrigued, so during a holiday trip in Hong Kong bought a replica with an educational purpouse (compare it to my real DSSD)

My impression is the overall feeling and weight of the watch is very similar to the genuine, but it has many visible differences or flaws that even a non expert like me could tell without having a real one to compare (horrible date font especially in the 20´s, dull dial, misspelling in the backcase, feeling of the unscrewing, winding, movement feals cheap, horrible "pearl", etc)

Although i have to admit that 3ft away in someone else´s wrist i probably wouldn´t be able to know that it was a fake.

As i said before, i am intrigued of the quality of the so called super replicas sold by Trusted Dealers in the $400-$500 range.

And my purchase in Hong Kong was useless, so i have a lot of questions of the quality replicas that you review in these forum.

Do they really look 95% alike the genuine models, and have only minor flaws only noticeable by watch enthusiasts?

Are they water proof? (swimming, showering)

Is the movement of these "high end" replicas audible when shaking them?

Any of you can identify what factory of the ones mentioned in this forum made the replica i bought?

Looking forward for your posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ar325

watchwis

24/11/18
39647324ec6413409cc327a46a0bd0b7.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Lilpanda

Horology Curious
6/12/18
It’s generally a good idea to have it pressure tested and sealed for water resistance.

May I ask how much you got the rep for? It looks pretty far from what you should get from a high-end replica.
I’m headed to HK soon, and I have it in my itinerary to visit the market.

watchwis

24/11/18
It’s generally a good idea to have it pressure tested and sealed for water resistance.

May I ask how much you got the rep for? It looks pretty far from what you should get from a high-end replica.
I’m headed to HK soon, and I have it in my itinerary to visit the market.

$1500 HKD aprox $100 USD

The market is a nice place to visit.

I think you can find better quality replicas if you have more information than i did when i was there, know exactly what to ask for, etc.

Good Luck!

Share with us your experience once you are back.

Safe Trip!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Luxuracer

Renowned Member
gate rep?

what does that mean?

is there an easy way to know what factory made this watch?

Most of the replica at 'markets' in Hong Kong, China, Thailand, NY Canal St. have the quality of those cheap rep on DHGate. It is very very hard to find high quality reps at those 'markets'. And when you do, it will be much higher than you buy them from TDs.
These cheap watches do NOT have a specific 'factory'. That is why they are called the Gate watches (DHGate).

Angry_Gardener

Looking Around
23/11/17
Ewww.... this is ugly enough to put one off this hobby (says the snob that has the Gen). Hope this one was literally tip money on a dinner in HK.

I have some reps that are sweet, but all of them have been upgraded with custom mod parts and heavily serviced, which is where this hobby is fun.

I’m fairly confident of performance overall with super reps. I rotate wrist time, nothing rep gets worn every day (yeah, the Gens do that duty). But even so, none of the higher quality reps I own has failed even after 5+ years of regular but occasional wrist rotation.

My fav’ PAM rep did drop some screws and fail after 5 years... and with full service from my local watch maker it was back in rotation and remains a weekend favourite.

Problem with the reps is the manufactured movements get put in the cases with no real attention to finishing, lubrication, and tuning you get from even a low end brand. That said, good China “rep” movements can be near Swiss awesome as a raw material.

Big difference - the even low end Swiss see manufactured movements as a raw material to be completely reworked before we get them, which is one reason why a gens always out perform reps over time.

For the super reps, the potential is there (awesome) but the final labour never is (which makes sen$e). The biggest difference between getting a short run in a rep and a long run in a gen is the attention, lubrication, and fine tuning from the master watch maker. We are talking multiple decades of wrist time difference - that what this master craftsperson labour delivers.

As a result a great rep may run a few years, maybe even five... a gen will last generations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro