• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage enthusiast introduces himself

Molokai express

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
14/4/21
[FONT=times new roman, times, serif]Hello all, happy to be here, I find this to be a fascinating place and I am blown away at how extensive the knowledge here is and how clearly passionate so many of you are. I think I would best describe myself as a watch enthusiast who comes up short trying to scratch that vintage watch itch. I'm laid up at the moment healing from an injury and through some circuitous travels through the web found myself here.

I recently came across a video on youtube of someone aging Tiger Concepts watches and then WMT watches and it opened up my eyes to the fact that there were some creative watch makers operating outside the mainstream homage market (a market that even from a distance has left me pretty cold). I found my way to Helenarou still looking for a faithful homage to the 5513. I reached out to see what options were available for a custom dial and I was jolted to see images of replica Rolex dials on offer. I had never even considered that. The pics weren't great, and a quick google search to see if I could find an image or a review of a completed watch took me here and I was exposed to the fact that there are serious artists here working to make incredibly convincing vintage replicas with no worries about leaving Rolex off the dial. It was a bit of a shock honestly. The level of craftsmanship on display here is astounding.

It's funny, because so many watch enthusiasts have been been warned away from replica watches, and as I'm sure as some can attest, with good reason because its simply not for everyone. I've browsed through enough threads here to see that some folks can be pretty conflicted about wearing a replica watch. So far, that anxiety seems to center around reps of very expensive, modern watches popularly thought of as status pieces. Lots of understandable friction where the "Fake watches are for fake people" message meets the pure desire to simply appreciate art and design without spending way outside our means.

I'm in niche category I think, because as a fan of vintage Rolex, the new stuff just turns me off, so I've avoided any soul searching to be done around that market.

It has been an amazing experience looking at replicas of some of my favorite vintage references, watches I completely wrote off ever owning, and pretty much believed that no one would ever make a homage that came even close to approximating their incredible vintage details. Kind of seems like I've stepped into a whole world of possibilities, but due to my ignorance, it also seems pretty fraught.

Do some of these incredible artists take commissions? How likely is it to end with it being seized in customs? Are the best of these craftsman overwhelmed with folks wanting them to make pieces for them? For the best that I see here, what kinds of costs are involved?

Anyway, I just thought I'd say hello and attempt to make a few connections by putting my foot forward. And before I finish, I also want to say that I think there is something quite liberating about this whole thing. Orthodoxies can cripple the mind and spirit and it is refreshing to see people throwing off quite a lot of judgement for going after what they want and clearly having a great time doing it.
[/FONT]

Reactions: BFann22

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
Aloha :welcome:
If you are in Hawaii, as I look at your username :tongue:
Customs are a non issue. At least when you get stuff from Asia, because we get pretty much everything from Asia anyway. There are a lot of watch workers here. I think you'll find what you are looking for.

Molokai express

Certified
14/4/21
Thanks Copterguy! Thanks for the friendly welcome and heads up on customs, I'm looking forward to rapping out with folks here. What's your poison around here? I am not Hawaii right now, but have a history with the place, perhaps where my watch passion was born. A famous man in a mustache wore his dad's GMT while caught in the ME, treaded water for a day or so before his freinds rescued him:)

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Welcome aboard, certainly some intro.

Firstly am sorry to read you're laid up but hopefully not for too long.

But the meantime it does give you plenty of time to do some reading, of which the forum is full of.

There's even a vintage section so have fun

Stay safe.

Last edited:

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Welcome!

To answer your questions about the cost invoked - it’s up to you. You can spend as little as $150 to get an OOTB vintage Rolex rep to several thousand investing in a custom build with genuine Rolex parts. Between those two price ranges, the quality and approximation of genuine varies, sometimes significantly.

I recommend digging through the vintage sub forum to see what people are doing on both ends of the spectrum - and decide what you’re keen on spending and happy wearing. Some people enjoy “close enough” others want perfection.

There are lots of skillful builders and modders out there - reach out to a few you see and like their work. I think everyone is pretty friendly and will give you some good feedback.

Good luck and enjoy!

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Welcome and enjoy your stay. This hobby is quite safe, just be sure to use one of our Trusted Dealers that offers free replacement in case of a Customs seizure. All the best.

Molokai express

Certified
14/4/21
Welcome!

To answer your questions about the cost invoked - it’s up to you. You can spend as little as $150 to get an OOTB vintage Rolex rep to several thousand investing in a custom build with genuine Rolex parts. Between those two price ranges, the quality and approximation of genuine varies, sometimes significantly.

I recommend digging through the vintage sub forum to see what people are doing on both ends of the spectrum - and decide what you’re keen on spending and happy wearing. Some people enjoy “close enough” others want perfection.

There are lots of skillful builders and modders out there - reach out to a few you see and like their work. I think everyone is pretty friendly and will give you some good feedback.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for taking the time, really appreciate it. I will do just as you suggested.

Molokai express

Certified
14/4/21
Welcome aboard, certainly some intro.

Firstly am sorry to read you're laid up but hopefully not for too long.

But the meantime it does give you plenty of time to do some reading, of which the forum is full of.

There's even a vintage section so have fun

Stay safe.

Thanks a lot, I will definitely do a deep dive and learn all I can.

Reactions: P..DR..D