• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dear Watch Industry,

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I too used to have a cool boat , mine had a canopy on top though .

PCIVGlitterBlueSML-1.jpg

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
Mr Businessmen comes to send a msg to Patek and friends on a rep board.

lol.

Bohort

Known Member
27/10/20
France
That was a funny post and funny answers as well.
The troll is to obvious, he should be a little less showing off to gain in credibility

DucatiWiz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/11/20
Ouch! Whatever happened to this being a flame free zone! FWIW, I have some sympathy for the OP's POV. I came here because I was seriously PO'd with Patek. I'm a watch enthusiast and have several gens. My grail watch is a Nautilus. I very nearly got to the position when I might have been able to pull the trigger on one when they were about 16k RRP some years back, then the market for them went insane, PP hiked the price by 20% overnight to cash in on it and the grey market tripled. Now I have no chance of owning a gen one, so I ordered a PPF v4 after finding this forum.

I've also looked at Rolex, their dealers now look down their nose and sneer at you if you ask about any steel sports watch. You can't even get on a wait list, it's rigged. Basically, unless you drop serious money on other brands that are readily available, your place on the wait list won't ever get to the top. Rolex could just make more watches, get to a 6 months wait list which you could actually get on and keep the used market slightly inflated for impatient people, but I think their current marketing strategy sucks and so I get some pleasure out of seeing how close the reps are thereby stealing some of their business.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackIceBob

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
I think their current marketing strategy sucks and so I get some pleasure out of seeing how close the reps are thereby stealing some of their business.

Don't worry, you're stealing absolutely none of their business by buying a rep. With global waitlists they could make a trip to the moon and back by combining a single link from each model people are waiting for.

You can only be angry at the market, not the manufacturer. Nothing is stopping you from getting the watch you want, you just need to pay the market price from grey.

If I was running an AD, why should I give a random guy walking in from the street the opportunity to buy an $11,000 watch that is worth $23,000 once he's out the door?? Those pieces are reserved to other clients that is worth $$$ in the long run for that store.

Portray an image of a serious client and you will also get the opportunity to buy steel pieces at an AD. Walking in "HeLLoW cAn I BuY a PePsi WaTCh PLEAZZZZZ" won't work.

Reactions: W47chl0v3r

DucatiWiz

14/11/20
This isn't the Flame free zone.

Clearly not, but according to the forum titles it should be? It does after all say:
[h=1]New Members Area[/h]
Ask a question in the Flame Free Zone, say hi and introduce yourself or read the FAQs in here.

DucatiWiz

14/11/20
Don't worry, you're stealing absolutely none of their business by buying a rep. With global waitlists they could make a trip to the moon and back by combining a single link from each model people are waiting for.

You can only be angry at the market, not the manufacturer. Nothing is stopping you from getting the watch you want, you just need to pay the market price from grey.

If I was running an AD, why should I give a random guy walking in from the street the opportunity to buy an $11,000 watch that is worth $23,000 once he's out the door?? Those pieces are reserved to other clients that is worth $$$ in the long run for that store.

Portray an image of a serious client and you will also get the opportunity to buy steel pieces at an AD. Walking in "HeLLoW cAn I BuY a PePsi WaTCh PLEAZZZZZ" won't work.

I could not agree less. Firstly, they are losing business, they just lost mine and it looks like they lost the OPs too. I realise that's only an anecdotal market survey but it proves a binary point.

There is something stopping me buying from the grey market, I can't afford it! I could have afforded to pay RRP at what is was a while back but there is a big difference between £16k and £60k (well, £44k anyway :p). And it's the manufacturers who create that market. Even people with so much money that they don't care if they pay 3x retail obviously still only pay it because they can't buy a new one at RRP. With any normal company, if you have the demand you simply scale up, make more of them! Sure you can still control the market so that there is a wait list, but a short one that people can actually get on, not one that is so long and unrealistic rich people pay 3 x RRP to jump the queue, which means that a huge section of their fan base have no chance of getting one. So yes, I am angry at them and despite your assertions to the contrary, I can be angry at whoever I like :)

AD's should not be put in a position where they can treat customers like they are doing them a favour. If the manufacturers made enough watches, you wouldn't have to bow, scrape and play silly games to buy one, you could actually feel like your custom was valued and who's fault is that? It's emphatically the manufacture's. They should employ more people, make more watches, supply the demand (or close it it) and thereby not only give good service to their customers but push the grey market leeches out of business. All IMHO of course :)

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Clearly not, but according to the forum titles it should be? It does after all say:
[h=1]New Members Area[/h]
Ask a question in the Flame Free Zone, say hi and introduce yourself or read the FAQs in here.

Nope. Flame Free Zone is a different area look.

ZaKo7S.png

Reactions: Glaude

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
They should employ more people, make more watches, supply the demand

Rolex is perfectly capable of producing as many watches as they want to - their watches are mass produced.

By limiting production they are fostering a perception of rarity, what is rare is usually perceived as being very valuable. It's a marketing strategy and nothing else.

altaylar1

Known Member
23/9/20
Rolex is perfectly capable of producing as many watches as they want to - their watches are mass produced.

By limiting production they are fostering a perception of rarity, what is rare is usually perceived as being very valuable. It's a marketing strategy and nothing else.

And it works surprisingly well I would say

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Yes, that's a parent forum to this one. Rules for a parent forum usually apply to sub-forums, both in programming permissions and etiquette.

My understanding is that the parent forum is the 'New Members Area'. That is not flame free.

It has three sub forums:

1 'New Members Say Hi Here' That is where this thread is hosted. It is not flame free.

2 'Flame Free Zone' Flame free

3 'Replica FAQ' Not flame free.

DucatiWiz

14/11/20

I agree completely. I just think that it's a marketing strategy that sucks for a large slice of their customer base, which is the whole point.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Yes, that's a parent forum to this one. Rules for a parent forum usually apply to sub-forums, both in programming permissions and etiquette.

Please, stop bickering - flame free is flame free, everything else is not.

Reactions: gilrob

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
I could not agree less. Firstly, they are losing business, they just lost mine and it looks like they lost the OPs too. I realise that's only an anecdotal market survey but it proves a binary point.

Like I said, the demand is already there, you (or even another 10,000 people) not being a watch because they can't get it at the AD doesn't make a difference. They have the waitlists stretching much further than that. If they wanted to capitalize on it, they easily could.

With any normal company, if you have the demand you simply scale up, make more of them!

You can't run a company making luxury products like a normal company. Their change in marketing strategy is genius. It didn't take more for them to just limit supply (on all models) and watch people go mental.

They should employ more people, make more watches, supply the demand (or close it it) and thereby not only give good service to their customers but push the grey market leeches out of business. All IMHO of course :)

If they did that nobody would buy their watches. How do I know? Look back 5-10 years where you could get a discount on steel watches. Subs, GMT's, Daytonas, all available in display windows. If someone wanted a Sub they could just go and buy it, not many did. Today everybody wants a sub, they can't get one unless they buy another watch first. Bingo bango, they just sold 2 watches instead of one. People are lining up to do this now, they never did that before.

You can rest assured that Rolex is happy with all the grey market dealers pushing up the market-value of their models. Anyone thinking Rolex is trying to stop them is dead wrong. Why do you think they changed the warranty cards not to include the customers name anymore. All to support grey market trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: W47chl0v3r