X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Watch Industry,

Dear Watch Industry
    (i know you are reading)

I am not a supporter of piracy, it's illegal but more importantly I think it's morally wrong. So why am I here?

I am a business man and I love to treat myself with nice things, cars, boats, art and of course watches. In the past 20 years, after each good deal I bought myself a new "toy", I own all the fancy cars, several boats, some fancy art and - of course - some beautiful watches. A few months ago my Rolex dealership (of which I've been a customer for decades) told me that Rolex no longer allows them to sell two similar models, e.g. GMT Pepsi vs Batman, to the same client. WTF ?!

"A crown for every achievement", yeah right.

The shortage of watches is obviously intended by the industry, I understand the scarcity element, BUT here is where you watchmakers are getting it wrong:

The watch industry's strategy fuels the grey market and punishes watch enthusiasts.

Every single model from R, PP and AP is available in unworn condition on Chrono24 (e.g. 61 unworn 5711/1A) while watch enthusiasts need to wait years to get one. That strategy hurts your end clients and is counterproductive, don't you watchmakers realize that? Encouraging speculation isn't good for any industry, never has been, never will be.

5711/1A is listed at 26k but "worth" 80k. It's steel for god's sake, if this is not a bubble then what is?

There is no shame in increasing production numbers. Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, none have taken a hit in brand value by the increased production numbers, nor will you.

Increase your production numbers, cut out the shady middlemen / grey market.

There is no win win for the industry, other than to increase production numbers and meet the real demand.

Dear Watchmakers, you need to change your strategy before it's too late and your customers end up buying replicas instead; PPF's 5711 (0.5k) is so damn close to GEN (80k), it's ridiculous.

from Geneva with love
    MrD

You'r certainly not bloating your own ego with lots of cars, boats and art (probably Ford Fiesta, Rowing Boat and a copy of the crying boy). Hell no, none of these beat my Unicorn, Rocket Ship and my own secluded Island in Dubai......nuff said.

Comment

Oh, no, they won't. If they take that route is because they are 99% certain of what's ahead. Business is business and it's all about earning money. If "business" requires things to disappear, well, it's how it is. They only cry when what disappears is their money. I guess we are living the last breaths of the watch industry as we know it and they just try to squeeze the "gens" till the last piece.

Mechanical watches are beautiful but I think their technology has reached a plateau (not an insider in the industry, just an engineer). When this happens in other industries, the phase of prices going down begins. Typically they try to counter that effect by adding new features (they do exactly that with cars by adding more electronic gadgets).

The watch industry is probably the last (officially) unconquered land by the "made in China" revolution. they stood within their walls, proud of their European heritage and free of anything Asian. It has been an epic fight. Prices grew up, sales went down, mechanical watches went from ordinary items (I was given one when a kid in the 70s) to "expensive" and finally to "luxury". As you say very well "it's just steel, for God's sake". But now I feel it's the end.

What they may have planned for the future? I suppose to take over the gray market, whitening it. Create European brands with production in China making quality mechanical watches comparable to current super clones. Probably they know by their market intelligence that setting these brands will give customers more confidence than buying from no-one-knows, so in short, the reps becoming the new gens.

Comment

Originally posted by marcdesade View Post
        Dear Watch Industry
        (i know you are reading)
        Oh yes, the entire board of Rolex SA are certainly long-standing members of RWI, they read and comment on most threads, of course under aliases. This write-up sure will teach them a thing or two on how to run their business. It will certainly show them they're doing the wrong thing, even though their 2020 profits will be the highest yet.

Thank you Mr. Businessman, may I never need your advice in business.

Comment

Christ, you guys are hard on new members. OP, liked reading your thoughts. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoomBoy View Post
            Christ, you guys are hard on new members. OP, liked reading your thoughts. Thanks for posting.
            Clearly a troll account though, doubt that he will ever make another post again.

Comment

Oh you own a few nice boats, how quaint.
              One of our members owns this ( and her sister, the motor yacht Black Legend):

He has some quite nice cars as well . . .

You are not impressing us, there are several folk here who could buy you from petty cash.

People always forget, the correct sequence is rape, pillage THEN burn. sfa437
              hmm - from what I know of Guanaco all he'll do is try to make the trouble more fun.... greg_r
              When you say modding, do you mean repeatedly hitting it with a hammer? Mickey Padge

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens

Comment

Originally posted by nipe View Post

Oh yes, the entire board of Rolex SA are certainly long-standing members of RWI, they read and comment on most threads, of course under aliases. This write-up sure will teach them a thing or two on how to run their business. It will certainly show them they're doing the wrong thing, even though their 2020 profits will be the highest yet.

Thank you Mr. Businessman, may I never need your advice in business.
                I'm here !

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Industry View Post

I'm here !
                  Well I'll be damned, lmao!

Comment

Dear Watch Industry [...]
                    When addressing specific members of RWI, start with an "@". And I think you're being too hard on him. The poor guy's just trying to make a living.
                    Last edited by YellowFin; 16-11-20, 16:14.

Comment

First, let me say that those who don't like to hear what I have to say, just move on, don't waste your time with unfriendly comments.

Second, I know for a fact that that all major brands have people reading through forums ALL THE TIME. It's called market intelligence.

On the boats and cars, agreed - I should have not mentioned that, it doesn't add to my thread.

Comment

administrator please delete my entire post, I am speaking to wrong audience here. Regards

Comment

First, let me say that those who don't like to hear what I have to say, just move on, don't waste your time with unfriendly comments.

Second, I know for a fact that that all major brands have people reading through forums ALL THE TIME. It's called market intelligence.

On the boats and cars, agreed - I should have not mentioned that, it doesn't add to my thread.
                          What a plank

Sent from my iPhone 11 using Tapatalk

Comment

administrator please delete my entire post, I am speaking to wrong audience here. Regards
                            Oh he's back, wow. I honestly did not expect that.

Don't worry, mods wont delete your post, this is too funny.

I wonder why you think you're speaking to the wrong audience? It's not even one post ago that you wrote:

"Second, I know for a fact that that all major brands have people reading through forums ALL THE TIME. It's called market intelligence."

Seems like market intelligence trumped your own intelligence.

Comment

I agree. Why didn't you simply write directly to the watch industry?

Comment

Working...
                              X