• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hi froma Noob in Hong Kong

Samwatch

Horology Curious
10/5/20
Hi guys, I am a total noob here, but living in HK obviously there are a lot of watches around (and also a lot of replicas that I won't trust), as you can guess for those who know it I spend a lot of time around TST and MK!

​​​​​​AD and replica dealers here and in China get up to the same dubious tricks they do everywhere, hence I am researching here, and people seem crazy knowledgeable here!
wanted to ask though, I can't seem to make a purchase on any of the reccomended TDs because my cards are all declined, and I don't have bitcoin.

In addition I can't use PayPal because I'm not known on this forum, have any other members had similar issues getting started, and if so what did you do?

Also if anyone wants to know anything about the watch scene in HK or southern China, please feel free to ask me, if I can I will help with whatever info I have (well as much as someone who can't speak canto/ Mando can!)

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
Uk
Some dealers here have HKD bank accounts and you can do a bank transfer, i have no problems with this.

Try to ask a few of them

Samwatch

Horology Curious
10/5/20
Ok thanks buddy, let me try that. Do you have any idea which dealers do this?

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
Man you are on the doorstep of watch nirvana! No waiting on shipping for you :D. Enjoy the hobby, read the rules and see you around!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Welcome mate! I was born in HK and had been living overseas since I was 8. My dad is a grey watch dealer in HK and the rep scene in HK from what I heard know is not like here due to the clamp down of counterfeits (is not like the 90s).what I observed at Ladies market tend to be people putting photos to tout tourists (as you know shops in MK are quite often cheaper than Ladies market since is a tourist trap).

I remember dad took me to a mall opposite the Guangzhou train station where there are tons of reps of which I guess that's where you can dig deeper. Unless you build a relationship with the shops, I'm struggling to think you can get any cheaper than our TDs, I can imagine they need to pay rent etc.

One tip from me, if you pay by bank transfer to a TD you usually get 5% off. So since HKD is pegged to USD you are not losing any money with FX so I would advice you to hunt around for a TD with a HKD account.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Samwatch

Horology Curious
10/5/20
Thanks both for the messages. Yes HK is not good, too many terrible reps for tourists, and too many guys selling reps at MSRP of gens.

I do work and visit GZ a lot, but again even the GZ market is not a great buying experience, it's much better to find a good TD online. Issue here as I said is people don't take card payments

wkim8732

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
30/10/17
TW
If you have alipay or wechat pay, they can take those too. Most TD's are able to accept those.