• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hi guys. I'm on a one watch mission

Sieade245

Horology Curious
17/11/19
Cornwall, UK
Hi everyone. My name's Si. I actually stumbled across this website quite early on last week when I started looking at info on Replica watches. There's so much info on here it's brilliant so thank you to everyone who contributes here its made my search a lot easier...

I like Omega Seamasters. Simple as that. With one reason really I'm a massive James Bond Fan. I know I know that's not the right attitude. But I am. I loved Pierce Brosnan's watch in Goldeneye when I was 13 years old. I didn't realise how much they cost back then though! I work offshore (also ex-navy) and my watches last maybe 3-5 years. I normally spend around £200 and go for Casio Edifice or recently Seiko divers watched as they are really good at surviving offshore knocks and scrapes. I don't normally ever take the watch off unless I am working with electrics for obvious reasons. My current Seiko it about to be retired. I did look at possibly getting a new crystal and a bezel to spice it back up but the bracelet S/S is also looking tired and I could just buy another watch instead. I'm no horologist I'll be honest. A watch is a tool to me but like anyone, I know what I like to wear and what I don't like to wear. The Seiko has been probably the best watch I've had so far its a kinetic 200m not sure the model number.

Anyway...I was looking at used Seamasters recently. I was quite happy with the Quartz version they do less to go wrong and still looks great on the wrist also used prices cheaper. But then when SPECTRE came out ..well that watch is something else. That's the one! No way can I afford gen nor would I buy gen as I could never wear that to work it would get trashed in no time. I would quite happily wear a replica though for £150-250. If it breaks...well that's an excuse to get another Seamaster I suppose! (no time to die out soon :) Not sure on the durability and I know the waterproofness will likely be poor. As long as they can stand up to being in the shower and out in the rain that should do.

This will be my first replica so if it doesn't work out then no harm done I'll go back to Seiko. I've narrowed it down (based on all the info on the Omega threads thankyou all) to the VSF or V6F versions. It's a bit confusing with VSF/V6F but I think the VSF 2018? version has the super clone movement and the V6F uses the asian movement..8215? is it. The superclone is about $100 more, not sure I would need the proper movement and due to the environment it will be in I think I'm going to go for the cheaper/older V6F version and put the money towards...well I don't know maybe another seamaster in the future.

I've been looking at the TDs and I think I'm going to give Ryan a shout to see what he can do. Not sure I will be able to contribute much to the forums as like I said, I'm no watch guru and I've never repaired any watch apart from changing bezels and straps. So really, I guess this intro is just to thank everyone on here for the info I have gained in the past few days, particularly regarding the "ordering process" and safety when it comes to payment.

If anyone has recommendations based on what I've said, please feel free to reply but I don't want to be another newbie who just posts looking for help and not give anything back. I've done my homework and read through thread after thread so I'm already reasonable happy I think looking forwards to hopefully having a spectre watch on my wrist soon...now if only I could decide whether to go S/S or NATO! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: catana1981

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Welcome to RWI , enjoy the forum !

im not really a OMEGA fan , so i cant help you out in your choices ...

this is my one OMEGA...

if1HAie.jpg

Sieade245

Horology Curious
17/11/19
Cornwall, UK
Thanks Raddave! OMG I love Seamasters that watch is Sexy. The dial is on the left? Is that normal? That would actually be useful for me as although I am right handed, I wear watches on my right wrist. Bit odd I now. Although I also use a knife in my left hand and a fork in my right hand. I think its because my Grandad used to do it that way and he looked after me when I was little. Maybe he wore his watch on the right hand too

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Hi welcome to the forum, I can't really help with your watch choice as I'm not an expert on the omegas you've mentioned, but one thing I can help with is to use KS watches for your purchase, I'm not knocking intime at all I've bought a few watches from Ryan without any issues, however as you UK based like myself o strongly recommend KS.

they can get any watch that the Chinese based dealers can, but being uk based they accept payment into a uk bank account so no issues with hidden fees and charges that always pop up, and I can personally testify to their QC and customer service and bizarrely they seem faster than Chinese dealers.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Yeah the crown is on the left , its called Destro , i dont know why ....

LOL i wear my watch on the left , i write left handed , but knife in the right, fork on the left , shoot a rifle left handed , sidearm right handed

Reactions: Sieade245

Sieade245

Horology Curious
17/11/19
Cornwall, UK
Hi welcome to the forum, I can't really help with your watch choice as I'm not an expert on the omegas you've mentioned, but one thing I can help with is to use KS watches for your purchase, I'm not knocking intime at all I've bought a few watches from Ryan without any issues, however as you UK based like myself o strongly recommend KS.

they can get any watch that the Chinese based dealers can, but being uk based they accept payment into a uk bank account so no issues with hidden fees and charges that always pop up, and I can personally testify to their QC and customer service and bizarrely they seem faster than Chinese dealers.

Thank you for this valuable info! I will give them a shout today. Excellent

WelshWizard

Horology Curious
9/11/19

Thanks for this advice Spitfire, very useful for another UK newbie like myself!

Jasonp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/10/19
Yeah the crown is on the left , its called Destro , i dont know why ....

LOL i wear my watch on the left , i write left handed , but knife in the right, fork on the left , shoot a rifle left handed , sidearm right handed

Me too Dave,,,southpaw and kick left footed also,,,

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
The latest batch of VSF Seamaster 300m are all outstanding. I really would recommend you look at the VSF 300M Diver Ceramic/Titanium 43.5mm. The build quality is the best in the rep world and the extra $100 or so for the VSF will pay off down the road. The case is perfect and waterproof right out of the box ( just double-check everything is screwed down). The larger size gives it a bit more wrist presence and the no-date dial is more balanced. You will not be disappointed!

schlonz

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/16
It's a bit confusing with VSF/V6F but I think the VSF 2018? version has the super clone movement and the V6F uses the asian movement..8215? is it. The superclone is about $100 more, not sure I would need the proper movement and due to the environment it will be in I think I'm going to go for the cheaper/older V6F version and put the money towards...well I don't know maybe another seamaster in the future.

If you can still get the older version with the Miyota 8215 you can't do wrong in terms of reliability and repairability. The movement is reliable and easy to fix by any watchmaker. Fairly cheap too if you should ever need a replacement. Disadvantage of the movement in the opinion of some folks is that the movement of the seconds hand is not as smooth due to the low beat rate (3Hz) of the movement.

On the other hand, the new Superclone movement gives you smooth run of the seconds hand (4Hz) and a functionality close or identical to Gen. Disadvantage - if you can call it a disavantage - is that the movement is fairly new to the market with little experience about reliability and repairability of it. So if it should give up on you early it could be hard to find someone to repair or get hold of the required parts for repair.

I have the older version with the Miyota 8215 since 3 years (one of my first reps) and it runs like a tractor with the seconds hand running fairly smooth (lucky me).

What i would like to draw your attention to as an alternative is a modded Seiko SKX007 (the 007 is not due to James Bond though) where you can do pretty cool stuff like you can see on the picture.
Good luck with finding your Spectre

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Personally, I suggest a LMPO. I've pressure tested mine to 5 ATM and with the ceramic bezel insert it shou9stay looking good longer. Mine is an older v2....I think they are at 5 or 6 now, but basically the same with minor variation.
IMG_20170726_1529080de2de312a957c74.jpg

IMG_20170424_08275982bab5a4e68e6059.jpg

If you can find one in M2M, the old noob CrPO is great and uses a standard 2836 movement so it easily repaired....again, mine has passed 5 ATM.

IMG_20190719_0947247b79c2e09d141952.jpg

IMG_20180422_1227518bdde4b975fd6bcb.jpg

One suggestion with any seamaster is epoxy the He screw down cap closed. These can get unscrewed and lost.... happens with the genuine one too sometimes.

Sieade245

Horology Curious
17/11/19
Cornwall, UK
Hi again everyone. Sorry for not replying I have been working away offshore for a few weeks so I'll try to reply to everyone who took the time to respond...

The latest batch of VSF Seamaster 300m are all outstanding. I really would recommend you look at the VSF 300M Diver Ceramic/Titanium 43.5mm. The build quality is the best in the rep world and the extra $100 or so for the VSF will pay off down the road. The case is perfect and waterproof right out of the box ( just double-check everything is screwed down). The larger size gives it a bit more wrist presence and the no-date dial is more balanced. You will not be disappointed!

THIS looks good! It was a toss up between this one and the Spectre I think this is the next one I will get. I managed to do a bit more overtime than I was looking for this trip so might as well spend it before the wife does! Thanks for the heads up and the advice about the no date dial.

What i would like to draw your attention to as an alternative is a modded Seiko SKX007

Did you mod this yourself? I have to admit I was aware that there was a healthy modding scene with the Seikos, I was considering having a go with my 200m divers now that it needs serious reconditioning I wasn't sure how to make sure the pressure seal would still be ok though. I imagine there's loads of info on the interweb about this maybe I'll have a go myself because that mod looks pretty awesome!

If you can find one in M2M, the old noob CrPO is great and uses a standard 2836 movement so it easily repaired....again, mine has passed 5 ATM.

Wow, thankyou for taking the time to post the pics of your Omega collection. That's very impressive. I particularly like the orange numbering that looks cool. Is that your own pressure test vessel? What would you have done if it had failed? Would it have been a disaster or do you get a heads up that its leaking first? Very interesting.

And finally, many thanks to Spitfire63

for his recommendation of KS watches. Luckily enough there was a VSF Spectre Seamaster on their November stocklist so I went for it. I was away but the wife said it rocked up the next day after I had ordered it and here it is on my wrist..
Really happy with it. Only problem now is that I've got a feeling this is no longer a one watch mission :)

schlonz

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/16
Did you mod this yourself? I have to admit I was aware that there was a healthy modding scene with the Seikos, I was considering having a go with my 200m divers now that it needs serious reconditioning I wasn't sure how to make sure the pressure seal would still be ok though. I imagine there's loads of info on the interweb about this maybe I'll have a go myself because that mod looks pretty awesome!
Nope, had it done by a fellow watch addict who is into repairing/modding. Check out Dagaz watch for inspiration and parts
https://www.dagazwatch.com/apps/webstore/