• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bad influence!!

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
Yes that what you are! Bad! BAD!!!
Signed up a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking.Actually signed up with a different ID but after reading advice here to not use the same ID you use on gen forums like WUS I changed it to this one ....
I am a watch collector but so far have collected watches from the former Soviet Union of which i own a couple of hundred "gens." ;-)
And a gen Speedy 3570.50 whcich egts most of my daily wear these days and a gen 1962 Q4 JLC dresswatch

This is a terrific forum with a lot of knowledge shared.

Reps have a bad rep in the community at large but I actually admire the ingenuity of people who are able to completely manufacture a Daytona as seen on the famous youtube vid, or any other gen, without the original blueprints, tools and other resources that the big watch companies have available. And I would rather support them with a purchase than the odious manufacture who drums up demands, diminishes supplies, and then requires its fanboi customers to buy several watches they don'tt want or need to be "allowed" to spend their cash on one of the ones they really want.

So "thanks" to you I now I "need" a Noob Daytona 116500 or maybe a 520
to scratch that Daytona itch that I have had since the 1970s when I saw that Newman ad, and I "need" a 113400 OP from ARF, and yes I know grey and grape are the super reps but I want the white one, and I "need" an Omega Aquaterra 8500 Super Clone, and as i actually do have a place for a GMT watch I "need" a Rolex GMF Batgirl or a Tudor Baselworld GMT .... and I long lusted after a JLC Moonphase ... a Calatrava and/or one of the ALS dressy watches would be nice .... so many choices ....

Last edited:

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Yes that what you are! Bad! BAD!!!
Signed up a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking.Actually signed up with a different ID but after reading advice here to not use the same ID you use on gen forums like WUS I changed it to this one ....
I am a watch collector but so far have collected watches from the former Soviet Union of which i own a couple of hundred "gens." ;-)
And a gen Speedy 3570.50 whcich egts most of my daily wear these days and a gen 1962 Q4 JLC dresswatch

This is a terrific forum with a lot of knowledge shared.

Reps have a bad rep in the community at large but I actually admire the ingenuity of people who are able to completely manufacture a Daytona as seen on the famous youtube vid, or any other gen, without the original blueprints, tools and other resources that the big watch companies have available. And I would rather support them with a purchase than the odious manufacture who drums up demands, diminishes supplies, and then requires its fanboi customers to buy several watches they don'tt want or need to be "allowed" to spend their cash on one of the ones they really want.

So "thanks" to you I now I "need" a Noob Daytona 116500 or maybe a 520
to scratch that Daytona itch that I have had since the 1970s when I saw that Newman ad, and I "need" a 113400 OP from ARF, and yes I know grey and grape are the super reps but I want the white one, and I "need" an Omega Aquaterra 8500 Super Clone, and as i actually do have a place for a GMT watch I "need" a Rolex GMF Batgirl or a Tudor Baselworld GMT .... and I long lusted after a JLC Moonphase ... a Calatrava and/or one of the ALS dressy watches would be nice .... so many choices ....

Welcome my friend, i hope you have a great time here! yep, there is a lot of knowledge here indeed, and i was mindblown in my first days here.
I see your shopping list is quite interesting! Nice, if i may suggest you should read a lot and you will find all your answers here in the forum!
Amazing first post if i may add.

I say hello to you by showing you my modded Noob daytona 116520, Clone movement, Arf v1 Bezel (best rep bezel available) and Arf v2 Dial (scary close to gen). Hopefully it can inspire you ;)

image share

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
Dynaduck thank you!

Mari115: awesome rep. Did you source the parts and put them in yourself? I should really get some watch maker skills and practice on some of my Russian watches. Quite unbelievable that one can get something so similar to the genuine article without having to wait 5 years and/or having to spend $10k to buy a couple of lesser Rolexes like Datejusts or Cellinis. I enjoy reading the threads on these where people get bent out of shape over marco images of a slightly skewed hour marker or crown or SEL which then turns out to be fine and not even visible to the naked eye....

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Dynaduck thank you!

Mari115: awesome rep. Did you source the parts and put them in yourself? I should really get some watch maker skills and practice on some of my Russian watches. Quite unbelievable that one can get something so similar to the genuine article without having to wait 5 years and/or having to spend $10k to buy a couple of lesser Rolexes like Datejusts or Cellinis. I enjoy reading the threads on these where people get bent out of shape over marco images of a slightly skewed hour marker or crown or SEL which then turns out to be fine and not even visible to the naked eye....

i suggest you using the "quote" function at the bottom right of the posts, otherwise people won't get the notification when you answer them :)

i did source the parts, i got the bezel from a kind member in this forum, and i got the Dial from a Trusted Dealer (puretime) even if it's not possible to source them anymore if i'm not mistaken.
i didn't put them in myself tho, you would need specific skills and instruments that i do not have, i asked a friend of mine Harleysta91 (a friendly italian watchsmith) to help me build this beauty.

Ahaha yeah i kinda laugh when i see people going crazy for errors visible only in macro shots. But at the same time it's always nice to check your QC pictures in order to see if everything is in order!

Let us know when or what watch you decide to get in the future :)

Reactions: RiffRalf

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
Tadaa!! First rep paid for, a GMF GMTII Batgirl from TD Li at jtime. Did a lot of thread viewing and am pretty sure I will love it! Hope it will be at my door before 09/21 when I have to go on a trip!

P@t

Patron
9/6/19
Netherlands
Tadaa!! First rep paid for, a GMF GMTII Batgirl from TD Li at jtime. Did a lot of thread viewing and am pretty sure I will love it! Hope it will be at my door before 09/21 when I have to go on a trip!

Enjoy the waiting. One of the more unpleasant things of this exciting replica hobby! :D

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
Sooo my QC arrived .... looks great ... except for that it does not have the little Rolex crown at 6PM so it does not look appropriate with the Jubilee .... asked the TD to put it on an Oyster instead.

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Landed here through your QC pics post in the GMF GMT thread.

Hi from me as well, I joined around the same time as you and Batman (Noob CHS on Oyster) was my first as well which shortly after was joined by a Yactmaster (which I never wear and am trying to sell).

Regarding your gen hobby of collecting watches from former soviet union I'm from Tallinn, Estonia (200 km from the border of Russia). There are loads of those old soviet watches here on the flee markets and on local "ebay" like sites for sale for peanuts. If you wan't I can pick up a bag full of those and send them on their way to US to add to your collection. Those that are listed online here you can check and choose but on the flee markets it's just grab what you can.

Below pic of the two newborns was taken when they had just arrived to my world this summer.

IMG-0971.jpg

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
Landed here through your QC pics post in the GMF GMT thread.

..... I'm from Tallinn, Estonia (200 km from the border of Russia). There are loads of those old soviet watches here on the flee markets and on local "ebay" like sites for sale for peanuts.....

LOL! I have a couple of hundred of the little blighters, I am good!
Now if you see a rare Slava Diver or a Vostok diver with the dual compressor I will take it off your hands!
One of the guys at the watchuseek russian watch forum actually moved to Estonia from the US-Austin TX IIRC- as he married a woman from there. He seems to enjoy it very much. He is MrOatman over there if you are interested check him out. He has some posts up there that mention his move. He has quite a splendid collection and unlike myself has learned to clean and service them.

Your GMT is a beaut too. People nitpick these things to death but for $451 door to door it looks a steal to me. Rehaut alignment mismatched, incorrect hand stash, bite me.
The yachtie is nice too, but pesonally i want to go for sometthing a bit different, maybe that V3 Noob Daytona everyone is going on about, or a nice three hander like the OP or the Omega AT.

Last edited:

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
If I somewhow stumble on those divers I will let you know though I don't know anything about soviet watches but will keep my eyes open.

Tried searching for Slava and Vostok on local sites, if any of below are the ones you are looking for let me know:

https://www.osta.ee/index.php?fuseac...=search.search
https://www.osta.ee/index.php?q%5Bq%...%5Bcat%5D=1536
https://www.okidoki.ee/buy/all/?query=vostok&c=0
https://www.okidoki.ee/buy/all/?query=slava&c=0

Regarding MrOatman thanks's for the info, should reach him out. Glad to learn that there's a fellow hobbyist around here as well, maybe he services reps also.

The ICHS is not and issue for me but the rehaut alignement is actually one of the things I look for on newer Rolex reps with engraved rehaut. I know on gens it's also not always aligned but if you know to look for it it's quite instant give away if you hold the watch in your hand.

The Yachtie is nice but purchased it rushing and that's the reason why I'm selling it, like to get another steel Rollie a SubC, a vintage Sub or a different GMT II. I actually had a gen bond Seamaster but sold it recently.

Last edited:

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
Thanks! Sure looks they are even cheaper in the wild than on the 'bay!
Slava Amphibian is pretty rare, I actually have one but will need to find a movement as my date function does not work after becoming intimately acquainted with a hard wood floor in my bedroom walk in closet :cryingbadly:
the Vostok Compressor is very rare. You will not find any of these in the market stalls of old Tallinn ... and if you do you are a very lucky man! These are rarer than birthday edtition Rolexes etc.
Dashiel Oatman's Russian watch site He only has 2000 of them ....

Gaccount86

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/12/18
Welcome welcome!! It’s exciting to hear from someone who’s been in the gen forums and is also excited about reps! Welcome once again!!

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
My first rep is about to arrive on Friday, just in time as I am travelling on Saturday! I am a middle aged adult but I feel like a kid a couple of days before christmas! Or Sinterklaas like we have in the Old Country ....:plugintree: