• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Greetings y'all

Dano-D

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/6/19
So here I am, yet another noob at this forum, although not that new to the world of reps (but still a noob.)

First, I want to give big kudos to those that put together this forum and that have maintained it for so many years. I believe this originated around 2006? Also, praise to all contributors that have made it to be such an amazing place of information, networking and plain fun, it seems. I belong to a few forums and over the years I've learned to appreciate the free advice that they provide. I'm a regular at a Land Cruiser's forum where I've learned a great deal on how to upkeep, maintain and mod my awesome 22-year-old 80's LC rig and she's a beaut!

I'm planning on gradually becoming a regular here now that horology seems to be my next thing while I keep learning to appreciate the design of some top watches; all this while aware that I simply won't be able to ever own many of them, so reps are the next best thing.

I'm at that stage in life where it is time to start gradually unwinding (pun intended) and find my next hobby. The exquisite intricacy of the mechanisms of wrist watches have caught my attention. Simply a remarkable and beautiful complexity of parts working in almost perfect sync (eg. the Caliber 7750). Hopefully in about 10 years I'll be able to move somewhere around Cádiz, Andalusia and preferably near Tarifa -- pretty far out town and just a 45 min boat ride to Morocco, which is also another trip in itself -- where I can sit at a work bench fiddling with watches and so. Then, out for a few evening "tintos de Verano" (sangria) by the beach and back for more... Then repeat.

Anyhow, here's a quick brief on my story, for those of you that care.

I'm currently living in SoCal after living here and there all my life. Btw, after reading the terms & abbreviations post, I just want to add that, locally, we refer as SoCal and NorCal not in part because we consider ourselves in a separate class from everyone else in the state, we also refer as such in order to differentiate locations due to the size of this state, which is vast. And yes, there are many differences between the north and south of the state. NorCal people I find to be more relaxed and easygoing (like people form Oregon) and my type of people. They also make better wine than SoCal and they have by far some of the best Kush in the world (trust me on this one.) SoCal is more business, busy lifestyles and almost-perfect weather.

Keeping the story short, I was first introduced to the world of reps back in 2003 when I went to Beijing on a business trip. I was there to outsource manufacturers of ink and some plastic parts. It was a 20-day trip and every day I was there I felt overwhelmed by so many things that I was not accustomed to. It was a terrific experience overall. While we visited all the tourist spots, I also visited several small factories and socialized a lot with the locals. Btw, they have this potent "homemade" liquor (rice-based I think) that was just insane; like raw mezcal, strong stuff. I can't remember the name, so if anyone knows please give me a shout, as I'd love to get me some more at some point. I was bringing back 4 bottles and customs took them away, as I had them in my carry-on (dumb on my side, but they were given to me right at the airport and after I've already checked-in my luggage), the custom guys asked me if I drank that stuff and laughed at me when I told them that I really liked it. I must've been a cheap drunk back then. I'm much more refined now.

While there, I visited two retail shopping malls. Tall buildings, rather than the common flat mall layout we have here in the US. One was an electronics mall where you could buy all kinds of computer peripheral (motherboards, RAM sticks, video cards, CD/DVD burners, etc.) Remember, this was back in 2003 and it was a big market back then (fyi, the first iPhone launched on June, 2007, so think back 4 years from then.) The place was packed with vendors in very, very small stores. Similar to the stores in markets downtown Mexico City "Tepito".

The other mall was a fashion mall where, I'd say, 90% of the stuff were knockoffs. This one was even more bizarre. Not as many vendors and not as tall of a building. The layout was that the low-end rep vendors would be at the lower floors, then the quality and price increased as you move up the floors. The 2 top floors you could only access via elevators and not everyone could go up, as they had security and you needed to be invited up (keep in mind, this building was jam-packed). Being Caucasian and visiting with somewhat influential locals, we were invited up. I guess today you could compare lower and upper floors between buying from Ali, Gate, etc, vs. a TD.

Anyhow, these 2 top floors had stores selling Gens and high-end Reps (jewelry, fashion accessories, perfumes, watches, etc.) and they would tell you which was what. I wasn't looking for anything in particular and it was more of an experience visit, but I ended up buying a Gen pearl necklaces for my wife and this top store, which was also very interesting, as the owners (very nice older couple and their daughter) had tons of pictures with ex US presidents and famous world icons, like Yasser Arafat. Quite interesting. I always wondered if they were Photoshopped, but I refuse to give up on human honesty... In a rep building, Har!

As we made our way out, we went down floor by floor and, somewhere between all floors (8 in total if I remember correctly), is where I decided to buy me some reps. I wasn't looking for any brand in particular, but I already had an interest in Movados, so I got me one and another for my wife, which I still have in one of my boxes and they both still keep great time, they just don't go out anymore.

While browsing, I also saw a Jaeger Lecoultre that caught my attention. I wasn't that knowledgeable about them (I'm more of an Omega fan) but I loved the style so I bought it. I can't remember how much I paid for it, but if memory serves me right (see Kush reference above) I think it was about $160 US back in 2003, so probably around $250 today? Basically, a high-end'ish piece from Ali or Gate, which, as expected, it didn't last long. Nor was I planning on wearing, as I know my place vs. wearing a “$20K Gen watch”. I just loved the design so I got it.

I have no clue if this “fashion mall” would still be around, but if it does, I truly doubt that they would be in a hop-on sightseeing bus route.

I still have all 3 reps and they still look ok, but nothing compared to what's available now, not by a long shot. Especially with such attention to detail and perfection, and the available knowledge and information before buying. When I got mine back then, it was mostly impulse buying, with the bare-minimum knowledge about high-end watches, clueless about quality of reps, taking the word of some sales guy after being translated by other dude to and fro. There was no way to find out which factory it came from, version, movement, etc.) So, to me, when I compare my experience to what's available now, it is simply amazing the level of sophistication and accuracy. Hans Wilsdorf peeps must really dislike the evolution of this biz.

I should one day take pictures of those old reps and post them here, to see what the experts can tell. Curious to know how bad I was played back then, if at all... I'm also going to dive one day into my reps and take them apart, as part of my future new journey of wannabe watchmaker.

So, that's my intro and my story. If you don't like it, I have others.

Again, thank y'all for such an amazing place of information and hope to gradually earn your trust and friendship... Else feel free to kick me out once you had enough of me. Har!

So, now, who makes the best rep? (j/k)

Cheers,

Dano

Last edited:
Reactions: WATCH HACKER

Elena Lee

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
4/9/18
I'm also the new one, HOW TO POST? I don't know its so difficult to post here:(:(

Dano-D

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/6/19
I'm also the new one, HOW TO POST? I don't know its so difficult to post here:(:(

It's not that difficult once you get the hang of it. Start here and click on the orange "+ Start Topic" button at the top left side, then type away. You'll get it...